• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Wingmaster Gen 2 lower

85 starflite
10” cmc hydro jack plus spacer, total 10”

Looking to repower to a 250 pro xs Gen 2 wingmaster lower

Will my setback and setup work with a gen 2 lower unit?

Have read that the gen 2 needs exact setup to function properly

Currently runnin a 95 xri 200 at
5900 60mph.
Fastest iv seen 6100 64mph

Where do i measure set back correctly? At the back of the V hull to lower unit nose?

Anyone have experience with the gen 2 torque master? With “wings”

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpeg
    IMG_1051.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 4
Since you can adjust the trim any way you want, you can’t really measure set back from the tip of the nose cone.
I think most just use the width of the jack plate and any set back brackets to determine total set back. Or in your case how thick is the spacer and the jack plate.

The challenges you face is should you add more setback and how high to mount the engine on the jack plate.

I would stick with what you have for set back and mount the engine so the propshaft centerline finishes about even with or up to 1” above the bottom of the pad/hull when the engine is trimmed level and the jack plate is at the top of its travel.

Since you can adjust the trim any way you want, you can’t really measure set back from the tip of the nose cone.
I think most just use the width of the jack plate and any set back brackets to determine total set back. Or in your case how thick is the spacer and the jack plate.

The challenges you face is should you add more setback and how high to mount the engine on the jack plate.

I would stick with what you have for set back and mount the engine so the propshaft centerline finishes about even with or up to 1” above the bottom of the pad/hull when the engine is trimmed level and the jack plate is at the top of its travel.
I agree with Karzrus. Set back is typical measured from the transom to the outboard mounting brackets, so most of the time call it the depth of you jack plate including all spacers. Some engines, like the 400R have some built in set back. So in those cases the centerline of the crankshaft is further back from the mounting bracket than the typical measurement. I have heard values of 3.5" to 5" for the 400R, perhaps someone knows the exact number. I have a 300R on a 24 ft Pulsare long deck that came from the factory with a 10" Atlas set back plate. At the time there was a 2400 BRX with a 400R sitting on the floor that I could have bought for the same price (but I didn't fit in it). It had a 6" Atlas plate and when I asked Dean he said it had about 4" of built in set back. The 400R is another 100 lbs heavier, so more set back might make it more prone to porpoising at lower speeds. I have no experience with the Starflite. My 300R is a 2019 / 2020 model year that has the Wingmaster plates and 3 cooling holes on each side plus another 4 on the bottom of the torpedo. Raising the engine on this hull more than 3" - 3.5" below, will result in more slip and loss of speed. I can go much higher and still have decent water pressure but just lose speed. If a had Sportsmaster lower like Jig, I believe the boat would pick up a bit more speed at higher heights but that is only a guess. Mine is slow and the best it has been is around 76 mph at 6350 rpm with 2 people and a 1/3rd fuel load. It might run 77 mph if everything was perfect but it would be our of rpm after that. (At least with the 24 ProMax and I tried a labbed 26 ProMax and it ran the same speed, just with more slip and a slower holeshot.

Heres a link that was determined to run the Gen 2 lower. Some base line guides to get your in the ballpark

I agree with all stated above by you guys. I have a 10” cmc

I will say the hull plays a factor. So having my V end 6” before the transom i take that as additonal

The wings on the lower gen 2 seems to be very “problematic on some boats.

Any input on beefin up the transom? Without major work? Thinkn about adding a plate inside, but with the splashwell i cant do to much more then i already have, standard 3/8 washer plate.

Back