• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Checkmate Vs. Baja question

I've owned or ran both brands. I have a 1975 Baja V-160 with a 115 Merc. It has a small four inch pad that makes me wonder why they even bothered because it's really sticky on the water. It also handles crappy, in sharp turns the boat acts like it wants to roll over (scares the crap out of my wife). In contrast every Checkmate I've ever rode in or driven ran and handled great. I know a guy that has a 16' Predictor with a 115 Yamaha, awesome running boat. One indicator of a well designed hull is how successful it is in racing. Checkmate was very successful with their outboard hulls in the 60's and 70's. Just look up the racing records held by the MX-15. I'm sorry but Baja is a cheap piece of crap compared with a Checkmate.

I don't think Baja makes a "bad" boat, in fact I think the Bajas up until about mid 90's were pretty decent. Not sure when Brunswick took over, but after that they got heavy, and you could tell they just weren't put together as well anymore. Doesn't really matter, who gives a ****, we're Checkmate owners. I could care less how those boats are built, besides I wouldn't buy one if they were the best built boat on the planet, because like Big Red said, they are everywhere, just like those Asian beetles that come out the end of summer....everywhere. Like fricken mosquitos.

As far as Fountain goes.....I don't know, they're allright I guess. I never could see why they are thought of as such high quality. Maybe I saw a bad batch. A dealer here tried to sell them in 1999-2000. Painted on graphics, bad tooling, lots of plastic. Speedwise - I got a buddy right now who has a 1999 27' Fever with 500HP, ran same mph as my 270 Convincor with only 496HO. Go figure. I don't get the hype.

-Craig

Having been in the bowels of my trimate for way to long, I can see the quality of constructing that is put in to the mate I own. I know its 33 years old, but its still going strong. One of the things I look for in a boat is the attention to detail. Its the little things that make a difference to me. Get down and look in the corners, shine a light into the dark corners. There is where you tell a good boat from a great boat. Sure there is a balance between affordable cost and quality, other wise we would have new boats that no one could afford. Want to have a look at no compromise? Have a look at Allison.
The other problem i see is availability of models in your area that will do what you want. Have a look on lake Mich. Baja and Power quest are everywhere. As its been said before, dealer network. Mine is made for small lakes and rivers. I could bitch about the ride in 2-3 footers, but why. I was getting the crap kicked out of my running 65 in 1 foot chop, waved at Wildman as he went by in the flamer liberator. Better boat, well that someones opinion.
I tend to run in the dare to be different crowd. Checkmates and Mopars. Its a sickness.
I do find great pleasure it my little 16' trimate giving the bigger boats a butt woopen. The look on there face. Priceless.

I could even think of switching to an I/O if you could get a Checkmate with Mopars new 440 small block crate motor in it. 520hp and 554 ft.lb. of torque. WOW, what a boat motor! boatman

I Agree Checkmates & Mopars Too!!!!!!!

61345483409_0_ALB.jpg

Your right thats the only thing I hate about it. But I have no complaints. Its all gm aluminum heads and all. But if I had a choice or a bunch of money to waste, things would be different.

This is kind of humorous to me, checkmate owners remind me of "harley riders" in their passion for what the love. Now, i enjoy riding a harley just as much as a jap bike, I just love motorcycles period but most harley riders are very outspoken about how their bikes are the best and everything else is crap etc. Has anyone here ever rode in a cobalt? holy crap they are nice, the hull is made out of carbon fiber and you can't hardley feel anything in rough water, would ever buy one? hell no, who in their right mind would waste so much money on a boat, it's just a boat. I love boats no matter what they are, I never forget what it was like to wish i had one, same with motorcycles i love them all and never forget what it was like to wish i had one. It's sad that those workers are loosing their jobs at a factory that has obviously been around for a long time, but the economy is taking a turn for the worst, i imagine other companies won't weather this storm either, let's hope checkmate isn't one of them.

I would rather have no motorcycle if I could not have a HD. Any true Harley rider will never ride anything else. It might be the old school hotrod hell razin feel or just plain hard headed.

But I will admit the jap bikes will start faster, brake better, handle better, ride better, and most of the time are faster. But if you gave me one I would sell it.

I not bashing my fellow boater. But I do have enough since not to go on a Chevy website and tell them how much better Mopars are even though its the truth
:D

Thats like sticking your ding dong in a hornets nest. Enjoy your Baja have fun jumping your chop. But this is a Die hard Checkmate site. I belong to other mutual boat sites and I don't go on their and bash Baja's or tell anyone Checkmates are better, but on this site I feel its open game.

99.9 % of people on this site own a Checkmate, have owned a Checkmate, wish they never sold their Checkmate, or dream of owning a Checkmate not a Baja.

Cheers Mate

VERY well said man!

Back