• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1986 Checkmate Playmate GT

starviper10

I figured I should share this with you all. I've decided to keep my mx and not sell it to buy this:

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=covico3bolt

I've been eyeing this playmate for a while (ever since Aug 9). This was before I bought the MX-14.

Anyway, I called her and eventually talked to the guy who owns it. Evidently it was in a barn for years and this guy always wanted to buy it and when it was for sale he bought it. It has a 75 hp Yamaha, but came with a Merc and still has the wiring for the gauges for a Mercury.

The bad news is that it sits in the Hudson all season long. He says all the scum comes off when they spray it when they pull it out in the fall. Also, the paint is pretty well faded. It has a "nice" trailer. I think the lady is more stiff on the price than the guy, because I left a voice message at first and the first thing the voice message I got back said was that she was very firm on the price and would keep it for anything less. However the guy seemed not to mind, saying he'd go a few hundred bucks less.

Ok I know that many of you have already seen this ad as a few have already posted it, but I figured I'd let you guys know some details on it. The way I looked at it, it is a nice boat with just about all of the features of a Playmate GT. I probably would have bought it had it not been in New York and I live northwest of Chicago, and not had a yamaha engine on it (I like Mercs a whole lot better).

I'm just a little curious. Do you guys think this is a good price? I know these are rare and come up fairly infrequently.

00a0a_gTbzaExsd9A_600x450.jpg

Looks rough as hell in that picture. I would be worried about rot and would guess it's overpriced.

Reactions: SCT
Yeah I was very hesitant. They kept saying it was a prime boat and I was wondering what "prime" meant by their standards. Do you normally have to worry about rotten transoms on Playmates?

Yeah I was very hesitant. They kept saying it was a prime boat and I was wondering what "prime" meant by their standards. Do you normally have to worry about rotten transoms on Playmates?

They are wood so yes, they can and will rot at some point..... There is also wooden floors and stringers that will rot :eyecrazy:

1988 very rare playmate GT

I bought the one in Albany and completely restorted it.
It is amazing!!!!
Only 3 made that year.
E

Yeah I think you sent me a few pictures in a PM a while back. You should start a resto thread with all the pictures of your progress! I'm sure others on here would love to see some pictures.

Back