• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1989 Sportfire new cracks in splashwell

TruckinMatt

Hello Guys
It's been a while since I have posted. I am on Checkmate number three now. A few weeks ago I picked up a 16 ft 89 Sportfire. She is in pretty good shape for being a 20 year old boat. It has a rebuilt 90hp Mariner, stainless prop and nice galvanized trailer. I took it out last week and just noticed two cracks(less than an inch each) in the splashwell that were not there when I bought it. They are right in the corner where the transom meets the flat portion of the splashwell. It was a very rough day on the lake. I dont know if this just happens or if I am looking at doing yet another transom. The transom seems solid. No other cracks, no swelling, and minimal movement when hanging on the outboard. I just figured I would throw this one out there to see what the popular thought would be. Thanks Matt

Last edited:
Hairline craks in the gel are common on some of the older boats. However, if they were not there before you went out, the transom could be soft.

Pull one of the top engine bolts out and see if the bolt is damp or if there is dry dust coming out.

pulled the bolt all looked good hung from my motor with no movement. maybe there were there before and I missed them or maybe I need to slow it down in the rough stuff

They could have been there all along. I am sure you will be fine with that lil 90 on the back. Its not too heavy. :thumb:

Well the reason I asked is because when a wet boat gets put away for a long period of time it will dry out and the wood becomes brittle.

ill had a good point, they may have just been over looked.

Well the reason I asked is because when a wet boat gets put away for a long period of time it will dry out and the wood becomes brittle.

ill had a good point, they may have just been over looked.

I wonder if the wood would dry in a year? If it was rotted and then dried, it would be real weak like you said.

Back