• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1990 Pulse 186 with 200hp yamaha top speed

BrettMate

Hello All

I have a Pulse 186 with a very good running, rebuilt Yamaha 200 2 stroke, hydraulic Jack plate, 26 pitch Ballistic stainless prop ( and a 23 pitch mirage stainless prop) running on Shell premium fuel , and Amsoil HP synthetic 2 stroke oil.
I have never reached 60mph with either prop.
Max rpm approx 5250. Max gps speed of 58.6mph.
Boat pulls hard and never runs poorly.

I have read so many members and others having a top speed of mid-60s to low 70s with this type of set-up.

Any advice on this set-up , or is my gps too honest.

I would love to hear some feedback

Sincerely Brett

That hull with a 175 will be over 60. With a 200 and 25p it should be 66-67
What gears do you have.?

I messaged you, not sure about the gearing in this 200 yamaha

Let me know if you receive it

Cheers!

I don’t know much about Yamaha, but the keys to success are,

1. Low water pick up on the motor so it can be raised enough to get the propshaft centreline even with the bottom of the hull while maintaining water pressure so the motor does not overheat. A water pressure gauge is necessary.

2. Enough set back, many of the Checkmate hulls want 10 or more inches.
You have a jackplate, what is the setback of it and is the motor set high enough on it.

3. The right prop.

Hey Brett, those are cool boats. Do you have any pics? I'd love to see a pic of the hull bottom.

Like others said, the right engine height, prop and set back are critical. Have you measured and marked on your jack plate different prop shaft heights? Good to do, so on the water you know exactly where you are.

That Yamaha probably has a 1.86 gear ratio. What model is it? That will determine how high you can rev it. But you can definitely get the rpm higher. A lower pitch prop, and raising your engine slightly will increase rpm. Approximately 100 rpm more per inch higher, and 150 rpm 2" lower pitch, depending on the prop! And, different style props can be run higher than others. I would try smaller diameter props on that, Trophy plus, Fury 3, maybe even a Laser 2. Try 23" to 25" pitch props.

With a water pressure gauge, you can find your highest point safely without a low water pick up.

Another factor is boats over time can retain water, and gain weight. This will slow you down significantly. Check the weight, check for rot etc.

Back