• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1994 convinsor. Engine hatch failure

Fatboy

Just got this new toy, no owners manual. If the electric hatch was to fail, is there a way to manually open it?

Remove the side vent. Reach in the engine compartment with a long hooked rod and pull the pin at the top of the ram. Then just lift the enging hatch manually.

I just recently relocated my batteries to the engine compartment (they used to be under the seat) and have some reservations about the hatch lift if there are battery issues. While the vent removal idea works (it appears the guy who owned the boat before me used it extensively:)). I don't see this as a great solution in an emergency. I have toyed with some ideas using a quick connect or perhaps a mounted steel cable to remove the pin. I have also considered setting up a jumper under the seat that I could put 12 volts to and actuate the hatch open directly if it is functional, but none of these seem to be really elegant solutions. Anyone come up with a neat idea besides the philips screwdriver and the long pole?

Engine hatch

Thanks for the wire solution, this is a great emergency solution.
I was told never to put the battery's under the hatch due to the high heat from the engine .

Thanks for the wire solution, this is a great emergency solution.
I was told never to put the battery's under the hatch due to the high heat from the engine .

That doesn't sound right to me. I think auto engines throw just as much heat.
Just my opinion and I could be completely wrong.

The wiring solution does sound like the best bet! Let us know what you end up doing.

For a few years the factory used a cable release latch on the top mount. i have one and it works great. Don't know why they stopped using them. If I didn't have it I would make sure to have a pull pin in the top with a ring on it so I could pull out from the side vent.

Unfortunately I cant show that at this time.... The boats been apart so long I don't know how to put it back together:brickwall: And i dont have any picks of it before i took it apart. I will try to dig the cylinder out of the attic and see how it goes together this week though.

Battery relocated to engine compartment

The reason you don’t want batteries in engine compartment is because you need power to open hatch. You want the battery shut off next to the batteries. So unless you put a shut off under seat you will have to open and close hatch manually every time until power is connected.

Back