• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2400 BRX - Livorsi speedo, GPS antenna location?

H2O

I have a 2011 2400 BRX with Livorsi (Vantage View?) Gauges.

I have always assumed the speedometer is GPS, since there is no pitot tube connection on the back, and even though it doesn't say GPS on the gauge face. My Speedometer suddenly stopped working last time out. The gauge still sweeps and returns to 0 when I turn on the ignition, but does not move at all when underway.

I've read that many Livorsi speedometers of this vintage have a GPS antenna that uses a watch battery, that eventually goes dead, and causes the speedo to stop working. I've looked all around, under the dash and in the bilge etc, and can't find a GPS antenna.

Does anyone know where the GPS antenna is located on the 2400BRX?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_8179.jpeg
    IMG_8179.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 4
I have a 2011 2400 BRX with Livorsi (Vantage View?) Gauges.

I have always assumed the speedometer is GPS, since there is no pitot tube connection on the back, and even though it doesn't say GPS on the gauge face. My Speedometer suddenly stopped working last time out. The gauge still sweeps and returns to 0 when I turn on the ignition, but does not move at all when underway.

I've read that many Livorsi speedometers of this vintage have a GPS antenna that uses a watch battery, that eventually goes dead, and causes the speedo to stop working. I've looked all around, under the dash and in the bilge etc, and can't find a GPS antenna.

Does anyone know where the GPS antenna is located on the 2400BRX?

Thanks.
I have a 2020 2400 with the Livorsi vantage view gauges. I would have to look but I think my speedo has the letters GPS on it, but I would have to verify that. I have not removed my dash to check where the antenna is. Did you look in the access panel under the helm where some of the wiring is located? If yours is a GPS, there should be a red, black and orange wire connected to 3 terminals near the bottom of the gauge. Follow the orange wire from the gauge to the antenna (at least that is what the more recent instructions from Livorsi look like)

Reactions: H2O
Hey thanks for the reply.
Was able to get my phone up under the dash and take a photo of the back side side of the speedometer.

I think what I'm looking at is gray, purple and black bus wires in and out. When I trace the wires coming out of the speedo, they disappear into the harness.

I was expecting to see a second plug for the GPS connection. Almost make we wonder if there is connector missing from that lower (empty) boss? Guess I'll have to feel around in there and see if there that is in fact a connector socket, or if there is a loose connector in there. But not sure how it would fall out, since I haven't been under the dash for any reason, until the speedo stopped working.

Attachments

• IMG_8191.jpeg
    IMG_8191.jpeg
    867.8 KB · Views: 11
You could also go into the settings mode and scroll till you find GPS and double check that GPS antena is selected and not analog or paddle wheel, it could’ve glitched.

You could also go into the settings mode and scroll till you find GPS and double check that GPS antena is selected and not analog or paddle wheel, it could’ve glitched.
Hayabusa brought up a good point. When my boat was new my GPS speedo just read crazy numbers and I had to go back and select GPS on the Livorsi set up. If it is GPS, one set of wires has to go to the antenna.

My GPS antena has 2 leads, white and red, the white wire is spliced into the yellow wire that comes out of the Tach master plug and the red wire i spliced into the purple, common positive among all gauges. Here are a few pics, a bit redundant but a general idea.

FullSizeRender.jpegFullSizeRender.jpegIMG_0654.jpegIMG_0653.jpegIMG_0652.jpegIMG_0651.jpeg

GPS antena.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    442.9 KB · Views: 10
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 8
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    772.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0675.jpeg
    IMG_0675.jpeg
    743 KB · Views: 11
GPS antena.
I assume that white square item in the bow is your gps antenna? The wire coming out of it must go to your speedo? They did make some speedos back around 2010 that were pitot driven but they had a sensor at the engine that converted the pitot tube pressure to analog signal. A wire then went from the sensor to the speedo. Perhaps H20 has one of those if he can't find the antenna, one like yours? I don't know if Livorsi ever made any GPS speedos where the antenna was integrated into the speedometer housing?

My BRX is a 2012’ and when I had the 300 Pro on it the speedo was hooked to the engine, via the master Tach wire harness, and getting its signal from the pitot in the gearcase as you mention. Yes the white brick is my Livorsi GPS antena I bought from Livorsi and the wire leads are hooked up as stated in my previous post, there are no dedicated wires, speed signal or GPS signal, going to the speedo. Seems all inputs go to the master Tach wire harness/plug and from there then to the gages be it Speedo, fuel, trim, etc.

My BRX is a 2012’ and when I had the 300 Pro on it the speedo was hooked to the engine, via the master Tach wire harness, and getting its signal from the pitot in the gearcase as you mention. Yes the white brick is my Livorsi GPS antena I bought from Livorsi and the wire leads are hooked up as stated in my previous post, there are no dedicated wires, speed signal or GPS signal, going to the speedo. Seems all inputs go to the master Tach wire harness/plug and from there then to the gages be it Speedo, fuel, trim, etc.
Thanks Hayabusa, that makes sense. The tach is the master (like mine) the antenna comes into the master and the signal is sent from gauge to gauge as you mentioned until it arrives at the speedo. So if the system on H20's boat is like yours, he should be able to follow wires from the master tach to the antenna puck (if he in fact has a GPS antenna and not a pitot tube with a sensor to convert to analog). I hope he finds the "puck" to determine if that is what is causing his "GPS" speedo to malfunction. If he has the older system it could be the his pressure sensor near the engine is faulty?

Agreed, H2O could still be with the factory set up no GPS antena and have a clogged pitot or faulty pressure sensor.

Great conversation guys, thanks for taking the time to get those photos!

In the meantime, I got a closer look at my wiring and spoke with Livorsi tech support, and I believe it's exactly what Hayabusa said...my boat came without a GPS antenna, and is converting the pitot tube to a digital signal sent over the can bus (yellow wire on back of the tach). In hindsight, the speedo stopped working when I changed my waterpump, and long story short, I don't think the pitot tube is connected correctly.

Livosri confirmed what was previously stated, the GPS antenna gets power and ground from the last instrument in the daisy chain, and the GPS antenna sends a signal (NMEA 0183) via the yellow wire on the tach.

As an FYI, I believe the GPS antenna is made by Veethree, (Livorsi more or less confirmed this) so you can purchase it directly for about half of the Livorsi price. My gen of speedometer uses the 1 HZ baud rate.

Attachments

• Livorsi GPS install .jpg
    Livorsi GPS install .jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Veethree GPS receiver.jpg
    Veethree GPS receiver.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back