• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2800SX Outboard Restoration Begins!!!

So now that my 2800 is sold, I'm reflecting upon my 6+ years with the boat. I took her from a bare hull with a gutted cabin and re-rigged her with 4 sets of motors, a brand new cabin, a brand new cockpit, new steering, new flooring, new headliner, refurbished cabinets, new bulkheads, stereo, LED lighting, newer trailer, etc. etc. etc. I went from twin 2.4L 200's at 18" centers running 72MPH with no cabin to twin 2.5L 200's with a full cabin at 24" centers @ 67 MPH to twin 3.0L 225 Carb motors with a full cabin at 24" centers @ 72MPH to twin 3.0L 250 efi's with a full cabin at 24" centers @ 75.5mph running Bravo One FS 28's. I can't help but wonder what kind of speeds I might have seen running the Bravo One FSs with my other power plants or if the small blocks would've even turned them....I have a lot of my personal time, sweat & tears, bloody knuckles and late nights invested into that boat. The guy that bought her really appreciated all that I've done and was super happy to get her. He's younger than I am and has the energy to make her even nicer with time! It was a great learning experience for me. I've assembled mid sections, swapped power heads, installed steering rams, made hyd. lines, rigged numerous engines, etc. etc. I'm proud of the boat that I brought back to life. It is my last restoration and my biggest boat restoration. I'm glad I had a chance to own her!
attachment.php

40615858_10217058593637539_4538603791221522432_n.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

After I sold the 2800, the next owner painted the entire hull black, installed a new transom, took the old 24" Gil setback brackets off and replaced them with 6' jackplates and tried a couple sets of motors including the new Merc 300 V8s and Mercury 300XS's. The last I heard the boat was running upper 80's. He sold the boat to another guy who just sold the boat again to buy a cat. The last owner told me that my old 2800 is heading to Virginia Beach! You guys up there be on the lookout..!

Back