• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

73 MX-16 resto/mod, 1 broke high school teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can buy it by the yard in 1/8" and 1/4" thickness. You apply it with contact spray adhesive. I use Permetex in a can for small jobs and landau top cement in a cheap spray gun for larger jobs. You can layer it up if you need more depth. I used 1/4" on the top of my cooler cover and 1/8" on the sides. Thanks

Gotcha, I have put on a few vinyl tops.

I teach music, but I ran an upholstery business for 10 years. Thanks

All I got to say is ----- man I wish I had your talents, especially now that I'm getting close to the upholstery part of my restoration.

You are one talented sob and your doing a great service to a great boat.

Your MX is gonna be absolutely gorgeous when you finish :drool:

Just got caught up on your build. WOW! Your good. Like to see that on a body of water soon ( after ice melts ) Colors are great. Oh, is the Falcon for sale?

Just got caught up on your build. WOW! Your good. Like to see that on a body of water soon ( after ice melts ) Colors are great. Oh, is the Falcon for sale?

Thanks, I drive over the Hudson to Troy every day. The ice is disappearing. :thumb: I think I'll keep the Falcon for now. I have a couple of CV450 Hondas that I want to build next, then I'll flip a coin and start on either the Falcon (rust free 40k miles) or the 53 Willys (25K miles almost rust free). I also have a thought of selling the MX-16 I'm working on now, buying a good Merc with the proceeds and starting on my other MX-16. But..... I've promised my wife I will get back to work on the house when the boat is finished. Too many projects, too little time.

I got to work on the rear panel yesterday. I started by laying out my design on the panel, then making a paper pattern that I transferred to my 1/4" foam and my vinyl. I'm going to replicate the racing stripe horizontally around the cockpit. I applied the foam so that the stripe will sit in a groove and give the panel some dimension. I used a christmas tree clip in the corner because I won't be able to reach around the speaker in the side panel

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I glued the vinyl and the panel, started in the center working the stripe into the groove and out toward the edges. Today I covered the the rear seat console. I took a shot of the bottom to show how I'm going to mount it. I epoxied in 2X2s keeping them 1 1/2" off the floor. When my shop warms up I plan to epoxy 2X2s to the floor with stainless carriage bolts that will attach the console. My goal is no visible attachments. You can see I had to futs with the retractable cup holder to get the face to be flush. It was mounted at an angle in the Dodge van i took it from.

picture.php

Here is a shot covered with 1/8" foam.

picture.php

So here it is all put together. Just say no to bench seats :lol:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Your custom design is very cool and I'm really into the rear buckets. Doing an incredible job and gonna be sweet against that new paint job. :thumb:

"As a music teacher I never know when the axe will fall these days"

Redstrat, sounds like Mr Holland's Opus. You have a talent at restoring, though!

"As a music teacher I never know when the axe will fall these days"

Redstrat, sounds like Mr Holland's Opus. You have a talent at restoring, though!

Thanks SCT, and everyone for your encouraging comments. Hopefully my Opus will not have to be written for some time. After many years in the arts I realize that talent doesn't always equate a living wage. There were years when my kids were young and I was working full time and going to school that I didn't have time to work in my shop. I'm really enjoying creating something tangible. I'm hoping to create a bit of a buzz with this boat interior to attract some part-time work. Down the road I'ld like to split my time between the shop and private guitar lessons. Livin the dream.... :cheers:

I finished up the front console this week. It took me about twice as long as I thought it would. I bought a 120 watt Poly-Planar MP3 stereo. No radio but thats OK with me. I mounted the amp under the console and the input and volume control in the center compartment. I found a stainless friction latch that worked out well. I think I'll have to spring for a white fire extinguisher. I was happy to see that the speakers fit inside the enclosures that I made months ago. I haven't done upholstery as a business in many years but over the winter I put some cards around town. Today I got my first call for a mooring cover. I'll try to make some extra cash so that I can finish this orange MXer. I want to put an aluminum rub rail and a new windshield on her. Here are some before and after pics, have a great week y'all.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Wow!!! I guess the surfing must have been a bit intense last weekend. I hope they'll be able to get the sand out of the deep fryer. Thanks for the update Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back