• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

89 Starliner Factory Refirb

Looks like BRP is charging Canadian prices for their props. $700+ is what we pay for any new SS prop. I am sure the Trophy and Tempest will blow out on that motor. Nothing compares to the torque of a G2. As I mentioned before the Rev4 has been the go to prop on these, that is why BRP copied it and made the RX4 that you bought. I know some guys use Bravo 1. Another contender would be the Enertia Eco. Big stinking blades but only go to 23p. But you have to under prop as they act way bigger. Not a ton of info out there on the G2 though.

That's what I was looking for Thanks! I suspected it might be the case, but like you said, there isn't a lot of data out there yet. I would love to try some suzuki props if they made a hub kit for them...huge props with lots of pitch.

Thanks Mark!

happy to see you (finally) getting your boat back. hope it exceeds what you had in mind. now, let's see those water shots and numbers! safe travels home

And we're back...and here's your final data points.

Made it home tonight. The trip went well and I enjoyed my time at the factory. Dean and the gang are good peeps.

Some things that I got out of the way on the journey home:

First dings in the gel. Yep...a snap came undone and flapped against my new pristine gel. Mother-Fer. And...the center piece in the windshield slipped down and rubbed on the gel on either side of the windshield. Double Dog Farts.

I had a lot of time to think about the whole process and aside from the rigging the motor gong show and the trailer the project is a monumental success. Both of those items were coordinated by me (difficulties provided by others) not Checkmate. Which in hindsight is a mistake on my part. The ordinary joe, is screwed dealing with some of these guys. I mean, how many boat trailers is one guy going to buy...1. If I'd worked that through Checkmate I believe I would have gotten the trailer I was expecting and not the one I got as there's a lot mor incentive to keep a factory satisfied. (It was supposed to have a swing tongue, disk brakes and a spare. Instead I got standard tongue, drum brakes and no spare. I alos belive I was supposed to have the upgraded rims...not what I got. But, he's outta business so...my tough luck. I also wish I would have let Checkmate coordinate the rigging of the motor, so they could have been the buffer for the negative and unprofessional experience surrounding the motor install. Turns out the guy in question dumped all over the guys from Checkmate when they went to pick up the boat too. Real piece of work. He also trashed the boat, resulting in hours of clean up, buffing and polishing for them when they got back.

So, set those two things aside and I would do this all over again. Be advised, the route I chose is not cheap, but it's cheaper than a new Pulsare. I'm into the repower and restore for just a shade under $42K...here's the break down.

Restore at factory: $17K (includes new stereo, jackplate, etc, etc...everything on the boat except what's broke out below)
Repower, new controls, gauges: $19K
New Trailer: $2.5K
New Props: $1.5K
Cost to rig motor: $1.5K :pissed:

Only Checkmate like it on the planet...Priceless. At least that's what I'm telling myself. :D:bigthumb:

The last three items were scope creep. I wasn't planning on those. Checkmate had the motor rigging covered until they found they couldn't do it. I decided to go for the new props on impulse...didn't need to do it, but did it anyway. New trailer...if I'd know what I was going to wind up with, never would have done it. My goal was $35K. Missed.

I'll finish the thread up tomorrow with pics in the water. The only things on the boat that aren't new are the side rails, windshield and the fuel tank.

Lots of pics coming tomorrow...well, taken tomorrow...they hit the page when I get them uploaded.

Congrats on getting it home. The moment you fire it up on the water for the first time all those negatives will become even less in your mind.

They'll probably always be part of a story, but you now have the only modernized Starliner on the planet from the factory and it will turn heads forever! Savor that. Always.

Looking forward to seeing pics of it on the water. I hope you have a gopro to face backwards and a pal to photo it from the side!

Enjoy.

Sam those small dings/scrapes builds character!! :poke:Seriously though gorgeous boat, congrats on getting her back!!:thumb:

WOW

Absolutely DYNOMITE :thumb: Best Wishes on many happy days to come.

You have earned the right to have the biggest grin/smile on your face when out in your NEW 1989 Starliner.

Go hit those waves!

Took it out last night...

So, we had to drop our girls off at Camp for the week with 3 other couple friends. OUr girls all play soccer together and they decided camp together would be fun too. The funny thing is, Camp is only 5 miles away from where I grew up...on a lake 3 lakes over. (I've lived camp for the first 20 years of my life). Anyway, we hit a local watering hole for dinner and a beer and then I took them out in the Starliner for the maiden voyage. The boat is fantastic! The motor, is so smooth and strong!! If you haven't had a chance to check out a G2, do so. Fabulous stuff. Electric shifting, power steering. Awesomeness, to be sure.

Debugging:

Got some stuff to run down: water pressure gauge no worky, GPS Speedo no worky. The water pressure gauge is an easy fix I think. I remember the marina saying something a part missing from the gauge kit, but I also remember them saying they would take care of it...I'm going to guess they did not take care of it. GPS Speedo is also and easy fix I believe as I see no GPS antenna anywhere.

Performance:
I had six adults in the boat and we average 170 across all 6 with the dudes, being the boat anchors in the back. I did one high speed run and got 92km out of my buddies cell phone, which is 57mph...with 6 folks...not bad. I was running my 24P Bravo I FS since I don't have a G2 hub kit for the RX4's. Thought those were with the props, but they're not, which was my mistake as I've never bought brand new props before.

I didn't get any pics...some friends took them for me...here's two.

In%20the%20water_zpsjqpuk4ez.jpg

Smiles_zpsmks66xco.jpg

Very very nice Sam. I have stood next to a few of them GPS and they look impressive. Congrats and glad you wrapped up your project and able to run it. :thumb::thumb:

badass. the interior looks like it turned out really, really nice.

i noticed you also updated your signature, i think you can add 1989/2016 Starliner w/2015 G2.

Back