• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Balsa core removal possible issue

ScottyP

I am in the process of redoing my floors and a couple of rotten balsa core spots. This is my first time repairing a core. I chiseled out some of the balsa to expose some of the “good”. When I did that, a chunk of resin came out. I also noticed when removing the bulsa, the resin lip chipped off and caused cracks in the resin under the balsa. Is this common or should I be concerned? Any input is greatly appreciated!

DB776B02-EACC-4889-BBE0-08DAA3FE62A2.jpegEDAAED48-6F5B-4CD5-B4AA-83336259A282.jpeg8E2D2B5E-46F1-4ABE-B758-EDF3EA1F5004.jpeg

Water damage to the core can include swelling and some damage to resin layers too. Even more if you live where that water can freeze.

You are going to be fibreglassing in the new core when you replace it so you were going to have to work with resin and glass anyway. Just remove all the rotten core and any loose or damaged fibreglass layers underneath it( may want to use a grinder rather than a chisel so you can work a little more delicately) Hopefully it is only a little and not very deep into the outer layers. Then repair the fibreglass layers first before putting the core back in place.

Water damage to the core can include swelling and some damage to resin layers too. Even more if you live where that water can freeze.

You are going to be fibreglassing in the new core when you replace it so you were going to have to work with resin and glass anyway. Just remove all the rotten core and any loose or damaged fibreglass layers underneath it( may want to use a grinder rather than a chisel so you can work a little more delicately) Hopefully it is only a little and not very deep into the outer layers. Then repair the fibreglass layers first before putting the core back in place.
th

Thank you!
I’m hoping the keel is really thick because that’s where the chip came out of. There was a write up on here about replacing a core and it said to use a chisel. I will take your recommendation and use a grinder. I hope I didn’t cause too much damage if any. I’m the event I got deep into the outer layer, is it fixable or should I look for another boat lol.

Back