• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Best Prop

G-BUSTER

I own a 1996 242 Convincer. Currently I am running a 25 pitch Mirage. The boat has a 502 and spins this prop 4300 RPM wide open with 2 people and a full tank of gas. I would like to increase the top end and overall drivability, any suggestions on a Prop change?
Thanks,
Steve H.

I own a 1996 242 Convincer. Currently I am running a 25 pitch Mirage. The boat has a 502 and spins this prop 4300 RPM wide open with 2 people and a full tank of gas. I would like to increase the top end and overall drivability, any suggestions on a Prop change?
Thanks,
Steve H.

Welcome to the board. Can't help you but I am sure someone will.

rooster_3.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+

G-Buster,
Your RPM's should be higher at WOT. Your full throttle operating range is between 4800-5200 rpm's. Try a 23 Mirage and see what happens.You should get the rev's up. Another member has recomended using a labbed 24 Bravo 1 four blade. I have yet to try one but I guess they work well on your size boat.Good Luck
thumb.gif

from the sounds of the RPM's, a 22p Bravo would work better than the 24p Bravo. Anytime you go from a 3 blade to 4 blade, youneed to drop 1 inch in pitch size

2003 ZT 240 6.2litre/Bravo 320 H.P. 24p Bravo 1

Bill,
Thanks. I had tried a friends 4 blade 24 and was able to actually bring the RPM up a couple hundred. I also liked the way the boat seemed to come on plane quicker. Was thinking a 22 might be the way to go but wanted some input before I went that route. Any advice on a Bravo vs a Hydromotive?
Thanks again,
Steve

G-Buster,

I have heard nothing but good things about the hydromotive. I want to try one, but do not know where to get a loaner... I currently run a 24p Bravo and love it. I lost about 3mph from the Mirage but well woth it for hat I gained in handleing. I am going to get a second Bravo and have it labbed finished which I have been told will gain 4mph from that.
thumb.gif

2003 ZT 240 6.2litre/Bravo 320 H.P. 24p Bravo 1

I would definetly recommend running a 4 blade. You would improve your mid-range dramatically over a conventional 3 blade. If you choose to go with a Bravo 1 4 blade, remember that Merc. labels this prop at its' maximum pitch. Other companies like Hydromotive rate their props at its' average pitch. This means that a Bravo 1 24" pitch is actually a 22.5" pitch prop. Don't ask me why but that is the way it was done.
I would also recommend getting the prop labbed. You wont believe the difference. I went from a stock 24 Bravo to a labbed 26 Bravo and picked up 4 m.p.h. while dropping 50-100 r.p.m. The only thing that suffered is the hole shot--it takes longer to pull up on plane with my 26" but I don't care. After all, this isn't a MasterCraft I am running.

Back