• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

BEST TRANSOM STRINGER GUY IN NY? NJ? CT?

Drainplug

Hi All,

Wonder if I could get some advice. Looking to have a professional evaluation and repair of a bad stringer and possible transom involvement on a 1987 Checkmate Starflite.

Checkmate is 600 miles away! So, looking in a radius of no more than 100 miles of NYC.

Any suggestions?

Please forgive me if the info is here someplace.....I'm a new poster but a 25 year Checkmate owner!

Thanks in Advance,
Bill

If you have to replace the stringers and transom, the entire floor replacement will be in the works.

To make the job easier and faster you may as well expect to lift the cap off so there is easy access. Time consuming as you probably can guess. Be prepared to spend some serious bucks if you have someone do it for you. This is the type of job you do for yourself on a boat that is as old as yours unless your pockets have some depth.

Go through my resto. Url address above my signature. You will have an understanding of the work needed to have a strong and proper job completed.
You will see I slightly over build when I do something, but I will never worry about too much HP hanging off the back.

I've been holding off on saying something.
Best person for the job is Patroni. Cape May NJ.
He did mine- Amazing job and what a pleasure to work with.
Don't know if he's taking on new work.
If I hadda' complain it would be that he put an unnecessary 3 pounds of weight into the transom knees so it could easily handle 400 hp. (insert "just kidding" face here).
Not kidding about the hp. Kidding about complaining 1-3 pounds in weight to monster out the transom.

I agree with JT. I'm in the Hudson area, be glad to help you access the situation if you're not too far away. You can click the link below to see how I dealt with my old boat. :eyecrazy:

If you have to replace the stringers and transom, the entire floor replacement will be in the works.

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply.

I came across your restoration a few years ago and it was extremely helpful to my understanding of my own boat and now the current situation. It appears my 87 Starflite is essentially the same boat. Thanks to you, I have been able to take my boat "apart" without touching it, so to speak.

Always, I am in awe of people like yourself who have incredible woodworking skills.........I have none of that! only my wallet and the ability to recognize high quality work. Light to moderate electrical, mechanical work is about as far as I go.

I just found out around 2 or 3 weeks ago that I had a problem. I bought the boat in early 1989 and it was virtually brand new. The boat has always had full canvas or acrylon custom cover from checkmate on it from day one and on the outside, it appears much newer than it's 27 years. I repowered it in 2010 and even then there was no indication of any problems. Then again, I wasn't looking in the right place.
There is never, any standing water in the inner hull.

I went to connect the battery and noticed the fuel tank was off level a bit. That's when I lifted the rear seat bottom and discovered the floor was soft on the port side under the seat. The wood is not properly supporting the fuel tank on that side which is why of course it's off level. the other side is solid as a rock all the way back to the transom. The transom appears rock solid and I cannot find any cracks inside or outside of it. Part of the rear port stringer seems from "tapping" on it that some rot is starting to invade it. All from the soft part of the floor under the rear seat.

To make the job easier and faster you may as well expect to lift the cap off so there is easy access. Time consuming as you probably can guess. Be prepared to spend some serious bucks if you have someone do it for you. This is the type of job you do for yourself on a boat that is as old as yours unless your pockets have some depth.

I agree the cap off restoration would be the way to go If I were to keep the boat for the long haul. I was hoping to hire the right outfit to shore this thing up and make sure it's safe enough to go a few more years. I will be 60 in January and not looking to jump over the bow with the Danforth too much longer!

I've been holding off on saying something.
Best person for the job is Patroni. Cape May NJ.
He did mine- Amazing job and what a pleasure to work with.
Don't know if he's taking on new work.
If I hadda' complain it would be that he put an unnecessary 3 pounds of weight into the transom knees so it could easily handle 400 hp. (insert "just kidding" face here).
Not kidding about the hp. Kidding about complaining 1-3 pounds in weight to monster out the transom.

Hi Sim,

Good to hear about your experience with J Patroni.
I wasn't thinking about going as far as he suggests but I have not decided yet. The whole thing is news to me and a bit of a shocker.

Chit, your just a youngster, I have seven years on you. My brain just doesn't cooperate with my body. :brickwall: Thank God the body is in good shape. :cheers:
Hi JT,

That's the way it should be!
My wife and I both are in good shape for our age!
I want to thank you again for your input on the situation. I first saw and studied your photobucket restoration a year or two ago at least. AWESOME! 100 percent agree the only way to do this boat up really right is to take it apart as you did yours. I would be uncomfortable with it any other way.
As we speak, I am preparing my Ebay add to let this whole rig go. Then my wife and I will look for a new or newer, boat motor trailer package. It's the best way for me. My Yamaha remanufactured engine has only 53 hrs. on it with meticulous 10 hr.break-in and maintenance with every ounce of fuel treated with Startron and Yamaha's newest formula ring free additive.
Shorelandr galvanized trailer with recent Stoltz rollers up front and brand new marathon trailer tires and galvanized wheels and brand new LED lights.
Needless to say, I got all ready for this season having no idea what was in store for me potentially with the rear floor stringer. My loss will be someone else's gain, who's handy or wants to spring for the repair bill on the boat. My auction price will be based only on the current value of the trailer, and engine, since we don't know yet how deep the damage to the boat has progressed.
Best Regards,
Bill

Good luck with the sale. Send me a PM and let me know where you are located.
I have a house on Wellesley Island in the 1000 Islands besides here in Cape May.

JT

If JT isn't taking on work I would go to Raybo Marine out on Long Island. They aren't cheap but they do stuff right.

Call them on the phone. I'd bet that like most businesses they get a ton of "tire kickers" via the web but more serious customers on the phone. Tell them some of the guys on Scream and Fly recommended them as they're more familiar with that site than this one.

John

Call them on the phone. I'd bet that like most businesses they get a ton of "tire kickers" via the web but more serious customers on the phone. Tell them some of the guys on Scream and Fly recommended them as they're more familiar with that site than this one.

John
Hey John,
I am SURE you are correct. The boat's on Ebay this week. Those guys are on my list if it does not sell.
I thank you and all for the input on this. I will share the whole story with the group after the auction.
I may have over reacted and the damage may not be all that bad after all. If that's true and it sells I may be giving my own self a swift kick in the ass!

Back