• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Best Way To Remove Bottom Paint

MR.DETERMINATION

I would like to remove the bottom paint from my Starflite, the previous owner told me there was only 1 layer. But not sure how to tell? I don't mind paying to have it soda blasted but want some who knows what there doing and Cares. Don't want to have some one screw it up and tell me it was like that. One guy told me easy off oven cleaner but don't want to damage the gelcoat. Another guy told me start with 60 grit sand paper then 80 and finally 100 on an orbital sander. Not sure if any of these are the proper way Would appreciate any help My Problem is I want it to come out better than New .

Thanks Mr. Determination

I bought a 29 foot scarab that had bottom paint......I put plastic down under the boat and used paint stripper (in the gallon jugs from ace hardware) and a scraper to remove the bulk of it.....them sanded with 80....then 220.....I chose to use interlux VC epoxy to repaint/finish the bottom....allowed me to fair out very nicely in some damaged places and its Teflon based (supposed to be fast...)...after application it can be wet sanded and buffed...you may have to hit some spots with 400 depending on how smooth the application is. its very very slick....needs no wax. its used on race boats so said interlux. it worked very nicely for me.

the other option (after scraping with paint remover)would be to simply DA, wet sand and brign back the gel...no easy way around it...its a pain....

heard ALOT of horror stories about soda blasters....be careful who u use.

Seeing as you are a racer and this is a race boat, i wouldnt worry about using sanding to remove the paint. Just dont go crazy when you hit original gel. For racing, You want to hit the whole running surface with around 200-220 grit sand paper. Breaks surface tension with water easier therefore a smidgeon extra speed and acceleration. A smooth or waxed bottom is significantly slower.

I don't know if they do it but I've heard good things about Raybo Marine out on LI. They're not cheap but the do quality glass work. If they can't do it they may know who will do a good job for you.

I used oven cleaner to take the guts name off that was lettered on my toolbox. Sprayed on, waited a few seconds and wiped off. If there is some left do it again. I'd be shocked if there's not a legit chemical stripper for this job.

Back