• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Bottom Paint Questions

Blue Mist '97

Looking at a Checkmate that has (I'm told) Anti-Fouling Paint on it. Have not seen it in person yet, but I don't think I really want a boat with AFP on it. By looking at the few threads here, it seems that most of you do not like AFP. I understand big boats having it done, but I can't think of a reason to use it, other than keeping it in the water all the time.

What would be a good reason to put it on a Checkmate in the first place?

If kept clean, does it affect boat performance?

Would it be a deal killer for you? Why?

Any new ways to remove it that would not damage the gel coat?

I personally would not buy a boat that was bottom painted. To me it says that the boat has been left in the water for extended periods of time. Plus I think it just looks plain hideous and is a royal pain to get off.

I would be worried about what may be hiding underneath. Did they apply it to hide a blistering hull. When I was shopping painted hulls were not considered for purchase.

Here's a couple of shots that show the AFP (what they said). Not sure what it is, but something's certainly there.

All that and the bolts on the swim platform are running red. At the very least, those holes need to be resealed and the bolts checked. Might be worse once into it.

Really like this boat, but that bottom is likely a deal killer for me.

Attachments

• 161891_4444178.jpg
    161891_4444178.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 161891_4444174_thumb.jpg
    161891_4444174_thumb.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 161891_4444168.jpg
    161891_4444168.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 41
Yep, that would scare me. Between it and the rust water running down the back from the swim platform hardware.... I personally would walk away from that boat. Anybody that sends pics to a potential customer and doesn't take the time to clean it up, definitely doesn't take the time to clean it on a regular basis for themselves.

Yep, that would scare me. Between it and the rust water running down the back from the swim platform hardware.... I personally would walk away from that boat. Anybody that sends pics to a potential customer and doesn't take the time to clean it up, definitely doesn't take the time to clean it on a regular basis for themselves.
Yep, I was kinda taken aback. The boat looks pretty good in photos at first glance, but when you get down and reeeaaallly look at the pics, you see more. I would really be scared to go and see it in person because I would try to just nit pick it apart now.

THE OBVIOUS

1. Bottom paint or AFP
2. The rust bleeding down the transom from the swim platform
3. The outdrive looks horrible. No drive shower.

THE NOT SO OBVIOUS

1. Boat is sitting outside in current owner's parents back yard (I believe for several months).
2. Ropes in the forward locker and motor compartment are just wadded up and tossed in.
3. Looks like the tie down straps are still taut. May or may not hurt, but I just like to take the pressure off when boat is just sitting. Same with winch.
4. Said it has been winterized, but not sure I can believe that.

Suggests to me, as corey331 stated, that this owner doesn't take much pride in his stuff and doesn't do much in the way of maintenance. I also agree that it would be a smart thing, if you are going to try to sell your boat, to do everything possible (like clean it up) to show the boat in the best light.

I am sure that this boat could, with some work (and money), be made to look great again, but I don't think I want to tackle the job.

Soooo, this deal is DOA!!!

All that and the bolts on the swim platform are running red. At the very least, those holes need to be resealed and the bolts checked.

Hey Pat,
I suspect the runs from the swim platform brackets might be from a soaked balsa core bleeding out.
Given that the only reason AFP would be on the bottom of a boat is because it must have sat in the water {probably salt water} for long periods of time is reason to suspect a wet boat.
I'd be careful with that one.

There really is no good reason to have AFP on any performance boat unless the boats being misused.

That's my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it :)

Kurt

Speaking of Bottom Paint Removal

Of all things, I got an email today regarding bottom paint removal from Star 10 today and listed it below.

http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=db473696a13cc40b4ffc44db5&id=55c273d42f&e=28a22d5eaf

www.starten.com

I used the Star 10 paste and liquid stripper when I removed all of the old varnish and paint off of my wood boat. The best part about it is you can put it on and take it off without gloves. It does not have any of the caustics that most other products have and it's eco friendly. I put the paste on with a brush and used a single edged razor blade to strip all my mahogany. Then you just wet a rag with their liquid stripper, wipe it down, wood was ready to paint/varnish and done. Pretty painless.

Never thought about it or had a reason to try it on fiberglass, but they say it will work. Stands to reason since it took almost all of the 40+ year old paint off of my wood boat, as well. Might be worth a shot if you have a boat with bottom paint and want to get it off. If you have a Rockler woodworking store anywhere close to you, they sell it there in quarts or you can order it from the company. I bought it in 2 1/2 gal. jugs when I used it. It's not cheap, but it was much better than using those caustic strippers.

Back