• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Checkmate Diplomat For Sale...(Now Sold!)

This is actually Bills boat, i'm taking it on trade. 1985 Checkmate 17' Diplomat, Evinrude V4, pro rebuilt with only 30 hrs on, all paperwork, compression tests, etc. available, custom mooring and cockpit covers, 24p Raker prop, spare 19p aluminum prop, C Hawk trailer, repainted, new tires and rims, CMC manual jack plate, excellent interior, two fenders, lines, one anodized sand anchor included. This boat is washed/vacuumed on Mondays, polished Fridays! see pics at the below Traderonline link. Bill's buying a new ZT-240, I'll get pics of the new ZT graphics posted shortly. Rick

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/2/36769822.htm

www.Bayviewmarinecenter.com

[This message was edited by Chris on March 15, 2003 at 12:07 AM.]

This is actually Bills boat, i'm taking it on trade. 1985 Checkmate 17' Diplomat, Evinrude V4, pro rebuilt with only 30 hrs on, all paperwork, compression tests, etc. available, custom mooring and cockpit covers, 24p Raker prop, spare 19p aluminum prop, C Hawk trailer, repainted, new tires and rims, CMC manual jack plate, excellent interior, two fenders, lines, one anodized sand anchor included. This boat is washed/vacuumed on Mondays, polished Fridays! see pics at the below Traderonline link. Bill's buying a new ZT-240, I'll get pics of the new ZT graphics posted shortly. Rick

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/2/36769822.htm

www.Bayviewmarinecenter.com

[This message was edited by Chris on March 15, 2003 at 12:07 AM.]

After our visit this August, if you still have it, maybe I'll drag this one home!

1995 2100BR/1995 225 Promax/23" Tempest

Maybe I'll go there is your old Pulsare!

Checkmates may not be the fastest boats on the water, but they are the nicest looking!

The ZT-240 will fix that right up!
thumb.gif

icon_cool.gif
Z06
icon_cool.gif

icon_cool.gif
Checkmates may not be the fastest boats on the water, but they are the nicest looking!
icon_cool.gif

Oh I know, but it was 55 degrees here today, and if I had the Diplomat, I would have been out on the River for some bonzai runs!
icon_eek.gif

Too bad I guess. I still have a few months to go so I wouldn't be complaining. All I have is ice here.

icon_cool.gif
Z06
icon_cool.gif

icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif

Bill, I checked out your old boat. Wow!! How did you keep it so shiny? I was the third owner of my Sportfire and I tried and tried to keep the gel coat's shine. It just seemed to be pointless. Do not get me wrong, it was in excellent shape but it needed work above the gunwale. I beleive the person who bought it was going to clear coat the top half of the boat.

What type of products did you use to keep it so nice? How often did you polish? Do you recommend hard water spot remover form Meguire's?

I feel the need for speed!

He was probably like me. Always out washing and waxing something. Its what I am always doing 3-4 times a week!

icon_cool.gif
Z06
icon_cool.gif

icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif

XSV.
Actually, keeping the shine on a dark boat is very easy. First, have it buffed out with a high speed buffer. Orbital buffers do not knock down enough of the gelcoat to get rid of all the oxidation. when it is buffed, start with a Heavy duty compound, then a light duty compound, then leveling compound or glaze, then polish. More than likely this is your problem, all the oxidation was not removed and/or very common, an automotive product was used. Gel coat needs to breath and needs a special product for it, that does not mean if there is a Corvette on the bottle, it is for boats. Yes, vettes are glass, but they are painted, not a gelled finish. Once you have the base done, a quick, good coat of polish once a month is all it needs. I could do that little diplomat in 10-15 minutes. I recommend you have the boat buffed out by pro's who do boats, not cars. Car detailers, mostly only have car products. I can't over emphasize how important marine products are, if you use car products, it will cause the gel to fade very fast or if you go and have the thing buffed out and do not put a good coat of polish on, it will fade very fast because you brought out the raw gel and did not protect it. Do not clear it, very expensive and most place do not completely disassemble it completely to do the job right, let alone find out what materials C-mate used to make sure the clear is compatible with the boat. I live and Die by a product called Race Glaze. I have tried hundred of products and get the best results from them. I do alot of boat restoration for my business and people are always amzed what can be fixed rather than repainted. For some reason the overall gel coat knowledge has stayed in the Southern US. For the most part, I have lived around different parts of the country, and even boat dealers in the North are pretty clueless. I saw on the forum and I had a dealer tell me once to use pledge. What a joke! Any question, you can always e-mail me at fischerbill@msn.com and I will be more than happy to help. By the way, the gel on that Diplomat I had and it was completely origonal. The winter before, it was very faded and looked like a classic repaint, but I wet sanded it and re polished it and actually, the pics that were posted was after a long summer on the beaches and needed to be rebuffed. It had a much better finish in June.

Anyone can e-mail me with questions and if anylives close to me, I will be happy to help or I am always available for hire to get a boat shining good again.

I have accumulated a lot of research into pricing (US dollars) and if anyone wnat to know a good price to pay, I averaged alot of different place to come up with this, 17.50 per foot and that includes, buffing, polishing the hull and deck, shampooing the interior, polishing glass on the interior, protecting the upholstry (not armor all) and waxing the trailer. By the way, never use an armor all type product on your interior. You will ruin it.
Bill

Thanks for all those tips. Whenever I get a boat, I'll try to follow those...
Eyecrazy.gif

icon_cool.gif
Z06
icon_cool.gif

icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif

Z, your quote sais it all, Mates are not the fastest, but I want to do my part to help keep them the best looking on the water!
thumb.gif

Thats why it's there. In my opinion, the Checkmate boats are great looking. When they are cleaned to perfection, it's even better... Can't beat a 2100 Pulsare with a 300X sitting there in the water now can you?

icon_cool.gif
Z06
icon_cool.gif

icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the info Bill. I am seriously considering have my Pulsare profesionaly detailed by a local boat restoration shop. I will research what they can do and run it by you if you do not mind.

My Sportfire's future is in the hands of it's new owner , but I can guarantee my Pulsare ( although it is white ) will look new this summer even for a 1995!

Thank again, I will look into the "Race Glaze" products.

I feel the need for speed!

No problem at all speed, that is what I am here for. If you are interested, BayviewRick is supposed to become a Race Glaze dealer, or if that is down the road a while, I will be more than happy to get you some. I am not in the retail business, so I will just sell you the stuff for what I paid for it plus actual shipping. I do not want to step on anyones toes, so I would see if Rick can get it for you first, If not, I can do it.

ZT? Come on, which one would you have wanted first? XSV, is this 1995 Pulsare happening to be JW's????

icon_cool.gif
Z06
icon_cool.gif

icon_cool.gif
icon_cool.gif

Back