• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Checkmate Powerboats to be Dissolved

It would be great to see an investor throw money and support back into Checkmate and keep the company intact in Bucyrus instead of piecemealing the molds out.

While go-fasts are not the flavor of the month in the boating market, I still think CM has very marketable products. Their boats have the niche of being between the hard core performance builders (Allison, Skater, Tuff, etc) and the wake board/pontoon/Baylliner builders. The 2000/210 Pulsare is still an awesome, time-less performance boat. The 2400 LD can handle the larger OBs. And the BRX model line is second to none.....it’s the SUV of boats.

Last year, I was able to crawl around a 2019 2400 and was very impressed. CM really stepped up their game and the rigging/quality was top notch. I think they just need to step up their marketing and advertising. I can’t tell you how many people used to stop me at the gas station, boat ramp or docks just drewling over the boat while telling stories of the CMs their dad/uncle/buddy used to own back in the 70s to 90s......and didn’t realize the company was still in business! These guys are older, sentimental to the brand and have expendable income. I also think the boating market will come back around to performance style boats w- the saturation of the wakeboard/pontoon market.

Checkmate just needs an investor with some $$$$, support and faith in the brand. While they’ll never build in the quantities they did in the 70s and 80s, I still believe there is a market for these boats. They should concentrate on the 20’ to 30’ market (especially OBs), continue updating existing models, add a performance CC, and update their marketing (social media, website, advertising, etc).

Good luck to Checkmate!

Last edited:
CMG I believe is Custom Marine Group and Checkmate was acquired by Caldwell Marine Designs, however, they do both operate out of Washington N.C.

Pete seems to have a great background when it comes to custom rigging, blueprinting, and building so hopefully the brand will live on.

Did CMG buy Checkmate?

Nevermind, I didn't realize CMG is now Iconic.

Anyone know if they bought the brand and will market them under the CM name? And will they expand production and manufacture more than just the top two CM models in the future?

It’s sad the company will no longer be in Bucyrus after 57 years but I wish Pete the best and hopefully he carries on the tradition!

Anyone know if they bought the brand and will market them under the CM name? And will they expand production and manufacture more than just the top two CM models in the future?

It’s sad the company will no longer be in Bucyrus after 57 years but I wish Pete the best and hopefully he carries on the tradition!

I wonder what the two top models are. 2100BR and 240ZT? 230ZT and 1850BR? 260 and 170? Anyone know?

I wonder what the two top models are. 2100BR and 240ZT? 230ZT and 1850BR? 260 and 170? Anyone know?

Its going to be the 2100 & 2400 OB models. Don't be surprised if a 21brx isn't too far behind.

It was interesting how the CM 250 SFX picture was briefly flashed during the interview. While not a great seller for CM, I can see it being a popular model on the NC coastal area.

Two thumbs up for Brittney.....:thumb::thumb:

Back