• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Coop's Project X. Preparing the molds.

cooperider

Waaaaay back in 1990 I started designing a new deck for my Trimate II hull mold.

I build a hull from the mold, and used parts of another deck, and GALLONs of body filler to creat the shape of the boat I wanted to build.

1600ClosedBowDeckPlugrear.jpg

Now after laying up the mold, it then sat on the plug for several years before I built a frame for it and pulled it.

You see, life got in the way. I closed up my little boat repair shop and went to truck driving school.

So the mold have sat in a storage barn since about 1990, out of sight out of mind. Collecting dust, and God knows what else.

1600hullmold001.jpg

But now after sitting in a barn for 17 YEARS it is time to build one out of them.

They are now where they should have been years ago.

In my shop.

PB170026a.jpg

But I have some work to do to them before I can build a boat out of them.

First I need to clean the rest of the debris out of them. Then I'm considering building a new frame for the deck. I might have made it too tall.

I also need to put new casters on them so I can move them around easily.

PB170040a.jpg

I need to jack this up and put a good peice of wood under it to mount new casters to.

You can just see the itty bitty wheel under the front of it.

PB170028a.jpg

But with a little cleaner, its coming out nice too.

This mold has never had a part built out of it so there will be some repair work, before I can lay one up. But I'll post up as I go.

This is my winter project, so come along for the ride.

PB170035a.jpg

Now here is something interesting in the hull mold. This is one of two area's that have been modified. It looks like hell, but its really very smooth.

What it is is a small little "hook" that was ground into the mold at some point.

I don't know if it worked or not, but I will leave it in the mold. Since I can always just sand it off of a part if I don't like the way it is.

PB170039a.jpg

Sounds good. My old printer **** the bed but I should have a new one soon I hope. Any suggestions on layout? Three or more colors? Less? Something over the top? (but do-able) Something basic but flashy? Im sure I could come up with a few good ones for ya ;)

Mild to wild. Its just paper.

stclairriverblaster has me thinking about painting one sublime green with black stripes.

The main thing is I want this boat to be seen from across the lake.

Back