• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Decal removal tips ?

Kurtster

Hey guys
I've been offline for a few months as I cooked yet another computer, but I just purchased another one and hopfully I can keep this one running for awhile.
FYI ----- punching a laptops display screen, then throwing the laptop out a second story window doesn't fix anything :shakehead:
But I digress........
Well I finally delivered my Vision to it's new marina home in Littleton NC on beautiful lake Gaston at Morningstar marina.
I just registered it today and now I need to remove the previous Mass registration numbers and apply the new NC numbers.........
Does anybody have any helpful hints regarding removing the old numbers without damaging the paint ---- as some of you know, I just painted this boat two years ago {Imron} and I need to make sure I don't even leave the slightest little blemish during the removal.
On previous boats with gelcoat I've just used a blow dryer and slowly peeled -- but I'm worried about this boat and the paint.
If I damage the paint even in the slightest way, I'll probably loose a couple of weeks of sleep and never forgive myself {ya I'm that anal}:(

Any ideas ???

See if you can find something called rapid remover, I use it at work and it's amazing stuff, spray it on and wipe the glue away, takes anything off but it doesn't harm paint or gel.

Thanks for the tips guys, it sure is good to be back on the forum after a couple of months, I can always rely on you guys for great ideas and feedbacks :thumb:

NC summer temps is something I'll need to get used to, today is 90 deg with 75% humidity {holy chit}, however the Harley rides along the long country roads are beautiful and I'm super excited about the boats new marina home on lake Gaston.
The lake is absolutely gorgeous and crystal clear clean and huge, it's about 28 miles with lots of deep water.
The marina is really kool with a restaurant and a tiki bar and outdoor live concerts every weekend AND lots of great eye candy :banana::banana::banana::banana:
My Checkmate sure got lots and lots of attention when I delivered it there yesterday --- most people thought it was a brand new boat.
The lake seems to have mostly toons on it, as a matter of fact there is a toon in the marina with a 502 v8 and some say it's a 45 mph toon {wow}.
However, I was looking at the rack storage where my boat will be kept and I did see a few Baja's and Fountains and a couple Donzis {but no Checkmates} ---- and it's indoor rack storage, I like that.
I can't wait to get out on that lake and make some noise with my little rebuilt 350 mag.:drool:
Unfortunately it's almost a 2 hr ride from my house to the lake but I can handle that --- I'm sure I'll be able to find plenty of places to spend the night on those late night party weekends :D

Wow, 2 hours from home.. props to you and your checkmate dedication... I am not sure that I could live that far from my boat... I am lucky enough to be 3 miles from my family cottage and this view/access to boat..

11205139_10153364292387941_3870712822151801215_n.jpg

although we don't have a tikki bar filled with eye candy......

Wow, 2 hours from home.. props to you and your checkmate dedication... I am not sure that I could live that far from my boat... I am lucky enough to be 3 miles from my family cottage and this view/access to boat

That looks like either White lake or Ossippie lake.
Nice area.

Ya I grew up being only 5 minutes from my boats on the ocean in Salem Mass -- however my family did have a cottage on Lake Winni in Wolfboro.

I will definitely miss it up there.

That looks like either White lake or Ossippie lake.
Nice area.

Ya I grew up being only 5 minutes from my boats on the ocean in Salem Mass -- however my family did have a cottage on Lake Winni in Wolfboro.

I will definitely miss it up there.

Great East

Well the registration numbers decal removal went quite good and easy, although applying the new numbers was sort of a pain in the azz.
I opted for custom cut and font full number transfers for the new numbers.
Usually the "professional" decal people say that applying the press on decal transfers is real easy --- DON'T believe it,-- if your a perfectionist it can be a pain in the neck trying to keep the transfer straight and trying to keep from creasing and bubbling, however, the end result is worth it.

Using the hair dryer to heat up the old decals worked real well....
Having the hair dryer on low, and doing each number decal one at a time and being patient and slow, the decals come off real easy {you must pull slow and easy!!!}
0606151231.jpg

You can't see in this picture, but I'm keeping the hair dryer on the decal as I SLOWLY and gently pull the number off...
0606151225.jpg

Once the numbers are removed, gently wiping "GooGone" on the surface to get the leftover glue residue off worked real well, --- completely removes the glue without hurting the paint at all.
There are a bunch of these types of products such as "Goof Off" and "Oops" etc... and they all work very well.
0606151237.jpg

The numbers look great....
A couple more minor details to deal with and this Checkmate gets her maiden voyage on the lake since the new {rebuilt} engine / new transom assy / new steering / rebuilt outdrive / and a couple more cockpit additions.
Hoping for next weekend or early next week :bounce:
0606151446.jpg

Back