• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Diplomat Overhaul

Sorry your drive fragged...

I did notice that my stringers seems to be put together a bit different than the ones above... as well is the engine compartment... hope yoiu get your rig back together soon...

ya, sorry to hear about your drive.

I plan on working on mine more next week. Got to get some wood to build the motor mounts and floor with. Been working alot this week.

WCA, thanks for your help man.......

Li'l Dave is trading out computer work for parts with the local marina so parts may be coming soon!!!!
I would love to try out those cryo-gears, but with the middle son graduating high school, getting married and starting college this summer there is not much in the piggy bank for the boat
Thank G*d the youngest is only 14, I am only having to restore a 65 chev for him

Li'l Dave is trading out computer work for parts with the local marina so parts may be coming soon!!!!
I would love to try out those cryo-gears, but with the middle son graduating high school, getting married and starting college this summer there is not much in the piggy bank for the boat
Thank G*d the youngest is only 14, I am only having to restore a 65 chev for him

haha good luck

I hate waiting for stuff... let me know if you want paper templates for the wood and also quite frankly if there are parts that you need that could be "used"... Now that I have the boat up and running I'm in the mode of giving away and selling a everything from the 4.3 that came out to a bunch of spare parts from donor 350, etc... not obvious what you might need that I would be giving away, but if anything comes up feel free to send me a pm or email and ask...

Dave, I'm thinking of cryo-ing my own gears... but don't have the tools to reubild / set-up the drive yet...

As soon as I figure out how to post a pic and movie, I'll upload one of my new engine in place... jet's are still too lean, but hit mid /upper 60's yesterday without even letting it wind up... still haven't played with the tack to see what if anything need to do to for proper read from v-8 vs the pervious v-6...

Last edited:
should be a switch on the back of the tach.

Dave picked up the parts today, and Daren34 came up for Sean's graduation and brought upper drive shim tool and spanner for lower retainer nut---hope to get to work on it sometime this weekend

going to Dallas tomorrow to rewire bro-in-laws rinker....may get to take his out if I can make it run. beter to go out in a generic boat than not at all

Dave and I have agreed not to turn the drive over 4800 rpm( we'll see how long that lasts)to try to make it thru a few more seasons with just a cheap gear and bearing swap
I have never been inside a drive, but Daren34 has so shoud be interesting.

Cool! I hit mid / upper 60's yesterday before I got out of it... with a 29" prop and the 1.84 gear ratio... Am going to hook up the drive oil temp gauge before getting into it hard and definately before staying into it....

Found the switch on the bacl of the tach... may go out for a while later today... hoter than blazes here today and have work to do...

Let me know what you learn on the drive tear down...
Cheers!

to get the pitch down,you will probably have to change the drive to 1.5 to 1

I've got a 1.5:1 upper sitting in the kitchen on the floor, but the engine guy I used told me it might run faster with a higher pitch prop... once I get the most I can out of the carb jetting and so forth... I'll go back and see him for some props to try with the current gear ratio.

here's a video I took last week while running on muffs. had fun on the water yesterday playing with a 4 bladed 29 pitch cleaver prop i had laying around. Getting huge slip numbers once over about 3500 rpm's (approaching 17% compared with the 6-7% I've seen with everything else), but it would blow by 60 at willeven though could hear it lose hold simply from throttle above 55 or so... anyhow.... with gas at 420 a gal.. I almost tempted to put the 4.3 off the back porch back in it! oh well... great day on the river sun... lots of boats out, water was calmer than usual and it was hotter than you know what...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33aWuP1K6o8

ps. the air cleaner on there is only because i had it on hand,.. will definately get one that flows better in short order here...

ok, got old motor mount out.....

2008_06_06_005180.jpg
2008_06_06_005179.jpg

This is some of the wood that came out of the mount....

2008_06_10_005189.jpg

New mount put together, just got to finish fiberglassing it and mount and glass it in.

2008_06_10_005188.jpg
2008_06_10_005187.jpg

dand that thing looked and sounded good! will your hatch fit over it?

yes! although I did have to trim / cut out the undersides of both the cover and the boat top to give enough clearance for the exhaust where the risers come out and go into the elbows... It's tight - especially the exhaust with the long risers but it works after a little "fitting"...

looks like progress on yours!

I've got a 1.5:1 upper sitting in the kitchen on the floor, but the engine guy I used told me it might run faster with a higher pitch prop... once I get the most I can out of the carb jetting and so forth... I'll go back and see him for some props to try with the current gear ratio.

here's a video I took last week while running on muffs. had fun on the water yesterday playing with a 4 bladed 29 pitch cleaver prop i had laying around. Getting huge slip numbers once over about 3500 rpm's (approaching 17% compared with the 6-7% I've seen with everything else), but it would blow by 60 at willeven though could hear it lose hold simply from throttle above 55 or so... anyhow.... with gas at 420 a gal.. I almost tempted to put the 4.3 off the back porch back in it! oh well... great day on the river sun... lots of boats out, water was calmer than usual and it was hotter than you know what...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33aWuP1K6o8

ps. the air cleaner on there is only because i had it on hand,.. will definately get one that flows better in short order here...

look for a mirage 3 blade or bravo1 4 blade
you need more diameter to hold the hp (less slip)

the high fuel prices make me glad i still have the 3.7 in my eluder

daren

I hit 75 yesterday in mine... and burned $75 in gas in about 5 hours....

having fun, but starting to wonder about that v-6 I haven't taken the time to get sold yet...

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!

Must be a lot smoother water than we have around here

what brand prop are you running?

Not ceratin what brand, it's not marked and is one I borrowed to try out. It's a 4 blade, 15 1/4 inch diameter, 29" with somewhat narrow blades, a progressive pitch and a good bit of cupping in the ends of the blades. I don't have a tone of experience, but it looks like an older style cleaver. It also looks like it's been tweaked / thinned out at some point and I think it originally came off a twin engine Fountain when the owner stepped up to bigger engines (there was a matching lh one there too). I was running about 5200 rpm's by the factory tach and still accellerating some when I backed off to cross some wakes. gps was hovering 74. someting to 75. something... I was too busy driving to pay close attention and my passenger was kinda skeered and holdin onto the dog to keep it from flyin out when we hit waves, etc... I was surprised how stable it felt and how well it seemed to handle :bigthumb:

Did you get your drive back together? If not, what do you still need?

Last edited:
Li'l Dave picked up a Redline upper gear kit, and Daren34 helped take apart the upper when he was here for Sean's graduation.....have not had time to work on it anymore

We are turning way to many rpm, was at 5700 and climbing when Dave backed out of it. That is with a 14 1/4 x 24 4 blade Mach Im sure that is what weakend the upper gears

Back