• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Does a BAJA mold make a good CHECKMATE

Using Former Baja Moulds To Build Checkmates Is...

• Is a good idea!

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Is a bad idea!

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • I don't care!

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
I would consider buying a used CMM 250SFX and turn it into a party boat if I was in the market. I could hire Randy to turn it into a "Wildman" 250SFX!
Not to excited about the other left over Baja moldels.....but each their own. And it seems like the 43' is a one off.....at least so far.

You guys should read some of the comments over on OSO from the loyal Baja guys about the "Liberty" Bajas being built.....

Attachments

• 3Md3Jc3Hd5Ld5Fc5M9d127e4928c435ad1069.jpg
    3Md3Jc3Hd5Ld5Fc5M9d127e4928c435ad1069.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 3E93G53Ld5G85K85H7d1242d380235bf71b60.jpg
    3E93G53Ld5G85K85H7d1242d380235bf71b60.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 16
The Baja connection may be the best thing that has happened to Checkmate is long while. Checkmate is one of the few boat builders still making outboard powered sportboats. If Doug Smith can keep Checkmate in business by splashing a few Bajas, then I will cheer him on. It would be a whole different story if he was dropping the classic Mates and replacing them with Bajas but that is not the case. He has added to the line up and anybody that doesn't like them if free to not buy one.
It is a matter of survival. Look at what is happening in the car industry. Check out the VW Routan. It is made by Chrysler and is identical to the Caravan with a VW emblem on the hood. My wife has a Pontiac Vibe which is really a Toyota Matrix. The list goes on and on.
If the rumor is true about Doug looking in the dumpster behind Skater, I would love to see the 21' Skatermate outboard. And I bet there would be very few complaints from the cheat seats. Most of this is rooted in the Baja/Checkmate rivalry... which is all in good fun anyway!

Given the recent popularity of the Baja/Checkmate rivalry....I went on Baja Marine's website to see what the new owners are offering. I quickly became sick. Basically they are bayliners with crappy vinyl wrap. no in-gel graphics, the hull lines are hideous, and they look like big wakeboard boats with the gaudiness/styling to try and appeal to the younger crowds. They look horroble. I would take any Beckmate anyday over them. Most o the beckmates have grown on me these days. I would like to see CM eventually try their hand at a new hull plug to try fro some nice speeds. The cm's are still constructed in a superior way and the old baja molds perform nicely with the cm lay-up scheme. I still dont care for the integrated platforms. they look too small compared to the original zt models.

If you read the article in sport boat it says the new 26 replaces the current 270 and 260 models. And it also said they planned on making production more like 50/50 outboards to stern drives instead of geared more towards outboards. They were also quoted as saying that there were more new models to come. I'm over the Baja mold thing but don't say they aren't replacing or eliminating models because they are, they even said so them self, with more to come.

...It would be a whole different story if he was dropping the classic Mates and replacing them with Bajas but that is not the case. He has added to the line up and anybody that doesn't like them if free to not buy one...

If you read the article in sport boat it says the new 26 replaces the current 270 and 260 models. And it also said they planned on making production more like 50/50 outboards to stern drives instead of geared more towards outboards. They were also quoted as saying that there were more new models to come. I'm over the Baja mold thing but don't say they aren't replacing or eliminating models because they are, they even said so them self, with more to come.

I agree fast94, some of the old models are being replaced.

Another example is that the ZT240 has been phased out and/or replaced by the ZT244 (Baja H2X). Personally, I think the ZT240 is a much better looking boat and money should have been spent to put a liner in that mold as apposed to cleaning up an old Baja mold. I am a bit bias though.

I am not against Doug's philosophy, I am simply responding to the comment about preserving "classic Checkmates".

HD

Given the recent popularity of the Baja/Checkmate rivalry....I went on Baja Marine's website to see what the new owners are offering. I quickly became sick. /QUOTE]

Funny I did the same. Couldn't believe the uglyness I was looking at.
We checkmate owners shouldnt even be mentioning the name Baja. Theres no comparison in the 2. They are now in the ranks of bayliner with looks and form. The genaric looking graphic options remind me of stickers from walmart auto section that the kids put on there ricers.:rof:

Guys take a min and look at the models on there website. No wonder the older baja guys are screaming for the Doug designs back.

Given the recent popularity of the Baja/Checkmate rivalry....I went on Baja Marine's website to see what the new owners are offering. I quickly became sick. /QUOTE]

Funny I did the same. Couldn't believe the uglyness I was looking at.
We checkmate owners shouldnt even be mentioning the name Baja. Theres no comparison in the 2. They are now in the ranks of bayliner with looks and form. The genaric looking graphic options remind me of stickers from walmart auto section that the kids put on there ricers.:rof:

Guys take a min and look at the models on there website. No wonder the older baja guys are screaming for the Doug designs back.

the thing about Baja was back in the day they would floor plan the crap out of there boats and dealers were flush with inventory and loans were easy to get . its a new era in boating and with gas prices volatile and loans tough to get on any boats. the new Baja designs are not real inspiring so it will be interesting to see where it all goes. Stickers are not going to fly on performance boats

I never saw the Sportboat article and will take your word for it. But I really can't think of a sport boat builder that is adding models like Checkmate is under Doug Smith. Checkmate has always made a great hull and done beautiful gel work but their wood floors were a joke. Doug has moved the company forward in doing modern interiors and fiberglass innerliners. He is putting the company back on the leading edge of the industry.

The 260 looks like a Checkmate to me and is likely a good replacement for the old ones that had a nasty porpoise.

As far as outboards, who else offers as many models with modern design and materials yet with such beautiful classic lines? With many boat manufacturers closing their doors every years I'm bullish on the future of Checkmate.

Last edited:
Only 6K boats...between you SCT and BadBK you three have owned half of the Checkmates ever built! :rof:
yea im in for a few bucks. shouldnt you be out building a snowman or something.

I am like the pot calling the kettle black. 4 different Checkmates in 3 years is the best that I have done!

No snow men, but a good reason to be in the garage working on the Checkmate! :cheers:

HD

Back