• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Evinrude Etec vs. Merc Opti Thread

300xs are garbage in saltwater according to my merc mechanic, so the Pro XS wins hands down. 300xs in freshwater kick ass

:lol:

there's gotta be more to it than that!

I knew a few guys in FL running them with no problems. Maintenance is the key, maybe west coasters are garbage maintainers?

Not sure what you mean Keith. Put a 250 EFI like I have on a Pulsare and it'll run around 80 no problem. Put a 250 ETEC, HPDI, or XS on, use half the fuel, and go faster.

Gotta get past the car motor tunnel vision, not saying one is better, just gotta broaden your horizons. :)

There's at least one ETEC boat on Scream and Fly that will go well over 100 and get over 10mpg while running around 80 IIRC. It might even get low teens but I don't want to exaggerate. Mercs can get great fuel mileage too I'm sure, I just know of this boat in particular.

Let's face it, simply stated "The motor that gives you no problems is the best motor to own" no matter what brand it is.

Who here can say that they are totaly and completly satisfied with what they own or have owned.

We can all remember what B.O.A.T. stands for, can't we?

:lol:

there's gotta be more to it than that!

I knew a few guys in FL running them with no problems. Maintenance is the key, maybe west coasters are garbage maintainers?

Must be, just like we start garbage threads... lol He's been working solely on Mercs and Mercruisers for over 20 years, so he must not know much. Maybe I should rephrase that. He told me that compared to the 250XS, the 300 is a much higher maintenance engine and he recommended that from a maintenance standpoint in saltwater, the 250XS was the way to go but he would gladly sell me a 300 if I so desired.... ;)

Last edited:
Wrong side? What's wrong is cutting a gaping hole in the transom of a perfectly good boat then putting an automobile engine in front of it. That's what's wrong. :D
The proper application of outboard motors......:devil::thumb:
redneck-jacuzzi-jpg.3112
BoatMan.jpg

My egg beater is better than your egg beater. O never mind I dont have one anymore. Just a big ole slow,gas sucking pig now.

Last edited:
DS280 has a 225 Etec HO on his 2100br, and the boat has been to 78GPS, I have a 250 Pro Xs on my 2100br, been to 82GPS. As for fuel the same MPG or to close to call. Noise, not even close the Etec could be electric it is so quiet. He lost a gearcase, I lost a gearcase. He lost a an injector, I lost 3 injectors. I did have all of the coils replaced under a recall. Based on the way DS280's Etec runs, I would say the 250HO version would run right with the 250 Pro Xs. The other issue is that I think when new you can extend the Merc warranty and not the Evinrude's.

Chuck

DS280 has a 225 Etec HO on his 2100br, and the boat has been to 78GPS, I have a 250 Pro Xs on my 2100br, been to 82GPS. As for fuel the same MPG or to close to call. Noise, not even close the Etec could be electric it is so quiet. He lost a gearcase, I lost a gearcase. He lost a an injector, I lost 3 injectors. I did have all of the coils replaced under a recall. Based on the way DS280's Etec runs, I would say the 250HO version would run right with the 250 Pro Xs. The other issue is that I think when new you can extend the Merc warranty and not the Evinrude's.

Chuck
That says something right there when a 250 Pro gets better MPG than a 225 Etec. These guys that are saying that the Etecs are way more fuel efficient are blowing smoke. It is negligible at best, if not in favor of the Opti...

It is true that you need to compare apples with apples. The Opti 250xs vs Etec 250HO for example. The Etec 250 is actually the same engine as the Etec 225HO. Kind of confusing.

Most tests give fuel economy and top end to the Opti. I think it has to do with the compressor vaporizing the fuel better. But they are not far off. However the Etec is far simpler in design. Few moving parts. Easy to work on, especially if you have the software which I did. I put 130 hours on my Etec 250 with zero issues. Changed plugs once... that's it. I will give up 1-2 mph any day for that.

Opti vs Etec

I have owned both and they both are excellent motors. The 225 Opti was on a BassCat Cougar bass boat and the Etec is on my 21 BR Checkmate. Both motor run great! The Opti seems to pull a little harder at higher rpm and the Etec has more bottom end torque. Fuel mileage, they seem to use about the same amount of fuel.
The Etec starts as soon as you touch the key. The Opti turns over a few times then fire right up. The compressor need to build up air pressure.
The Etec is quieter and seems to be a little smoother at cruising speeds.
Winterizing, the Etec does it for you. Changing plugs, Etec is much simpler. Never had a problem with either motor. They are both great motors, just different, kind of like chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
If your boat is red, get the Opti. If it is blue, get the Etec.......Skip

Agreed, the choice for me if all was new would be the color. As for HP the 225 HO Etec is supposed around 245 and the 250 ProXs around 275. Although there is a chronic problem with the Etec's lower units. My son talked to a Bass thrasher with a 250 Etec and he had been through 4 lower units. The dealer told DS280 Evinrude was concerned the foot throttles were the culprit. If you google Etecs and lower unit issues it does show up. All of that said whatever I could get the best deal and match my boat is what I would get.

I've got a 300 etec on my 2100 br. great engine, no problems what so ever. usually runs anywhere between 83 to 80 mph. the only thing I wished was better was the different gear case options. I would still love to try a merc 300.

Back