• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Floor replacement

Has anyone used kevlar instead of fiberglass over the plywood when replacing a floor?

I've used coosa board in place of exterior plywood, never have to worry about rot again. I would assume Kevlar is similar not sure though. Maybe someone on here has used it.

I am talking about Kevlar instead of fiberglass matting on the floor

It would definitely work, some say overkill but that's personal. I know Tuff marine sometimes uses it and same with other custom builders, you might try and ask the ones that do and see what they've found.

Or, ask a rep from Dupont directly:
http://www.dupont.com/products-and-.../fibers/uses-and-applications/composites.html

Other info:
http://www.cruisingworld.com/how/composite-construction-decoding-matrix

Unless you plan on using a 400hp motor on an 8 foot pram the use of kevlar would be unnecessary overkill.
I know my comparison is stretching the imagination a bit but I think you would be wasting your money. It is not going to add any more moisture resistance.
I myself have a tendency to over build, but I wouldn't go so far as to use kevlar on the flooring unless you plan on using plywood that is thinner than 1/2". My suggestion would be to use a better grade of plywood. I suggest Meranti Hydrotec or Okoume BS-1088. No voids or patches in those.

Good luck with your project.:thumb:

Plywood is the opposite of overkill, it can work but..
I agree... To a point. Decent plywood, carefully soaked in resin, will do the job. As long as the boat is protected from the elements. The problem with a lot of older boats is how they were stored. Most sat in the water with just a sub-par cover on them. Or sat outside with a sub par cover on them. Or were just left open to the elements. Not a good way to prevent rot.

20 odd years ago, I bought a 22' Sylvan at an auction, and ended up replacing all the flooring because of bad owner storage. Granted, it was a heck of a lot easier to replace the floor inside an aluminum boat. But still a project none the less.

Back