• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Lake Cumberland Poker Run Format Change

Seems they took the "raceing" out of it. Must be for safety and the bad press the poker runs have gotten lately. 2 days to idle around and pick up some cards isn't really a poker run is it? Wouldn't be surprised to hear of a underground route for the guys that want to run.

It's just plain stupid. This may be more dangerous than the old format due to the big boys will still run hard to stops on a lake with no schedule. There will be tubers and skiers going down the middle of the lake as they run at 100+ from stop to stop. It's never been a closed course but 98% of the people stay to the sides while the run is happening. Hard to stay out of the way when you don't know the schedule.

I can see why they are trying to change it but it makes it just another busy weekend on the lake. I don't see why you need to pay entry fees. You can just follow the big boys and stop at the same stops with them now. There will be some that still want to haul azz and for them it will be more dangerous for sure. Why cross the country with your retired race/re-rigged for pleasure boat to cruise around the lake for two days? Naw, they are still going to lay the hammers down. Thats what they travel for.

On the flip side, if poker runs become less like a race, maybe people will start going to races and these lakes will want to host sanctioned races. Make the circuit come alive again like it was in the haydays. Poker runs have turned into basically a race with the same thrill for spectators. It kind of splits the supporting crowds for racing events IMO.

26910_2_.png

I'm sorry but that sucks. I'd love to go to a real poker run someday and I figured that would be the closest and biggest one...I wouldn't drive that far to go from marina to marina on my own

Also, the cost of having event insurance for these runs is already astronomical. Im sure after previous accidents insurance coverage was impossible to obtain or astronomical in price unless the format was changed or there were better safeguards/deterrents built in. Apparently Tickfaw used this same format and it was well received.

Tickfaw worked but at each stop you hung out and had a drink and it sounds like many bars had a special cocktail just for the run. With LC being dry that changes a lot of the philosophy from the Tickfaw run.
I guess we will have to wait and see how it goes but I think it's more dangerous this way.

I'm heading down this year for the poker run and was thinking about entering but, if there is no coarse and it doesn't matter what marine you head toward at any given time, it makes me reconsider if I actually run in the event.

I'm heading down this year for the poker run and was thinking about entering but, if there is no coarse and it doesn't matter what marine you head toward at any given time, it makes me reconsider if I actually run in the event.

Whats the point of paying an extra $450 for a normal weekend of boating? Spend that on fuel and beer and have more fun.

Whats the point of paying an extra $450 for a normal weekend of boating? Spend that on fuel and beer and have more fun.

I know very little about porker runs and have never been to one, but like every other internet idiot, have an opinion anyway.:rof:

I thought the point of the runs was to raise money for a good cause and have fun doing it? Do I have that wrong?
They are keeping all the other events/dinner/party stuff, just not the race to the card stops. I think it takes some of the sport and adrenalin out of it for sure and if the only reason to go was to see the big boats running for all they are worth, then yes it's a waste of your money and time.

I know very little about porker runs and have never been to one, but like every other internet idiot, have an opinion anyway.:rof:

I thought the point of the runs was to raise money for a good cause and have fun doing it? Do I have that wrong?
They are keeping all the other events/dinner/party stuff, just not the race to the card stops. I think it takes some of the sport and adrenalin out of it for sure and if the only reason to go was to see the big boats running for all they are worth, then yes it's a waste of your money and time.

The crowds also bring in big revenue for the community (one of the poorest in the nation before the lake was flooded) and if people quit coming to it, sponsors will back out too which means less money will be raised, but yes you are right, it will still raise money but the amount will die off

We will be there to see the amazing hardware and i know i will have a great time. I think you are all out of your mind if you do not think the big dogs are not going to leave out of there together. I do agree it may not be safer but it is going to happen.. These guys run it to see who is the badazz.. I have said for years they should do a shootout.. The one thing we forget, anyone with the money can buy one of these, it does not mean they are qualified to drive them..

I have a friend who wasn't doing the poker run this year but since the new format he decided to sign up. He loves the idea from a participant standpoint.

We will be there to see the amazing hardware and i know i will have a great time. I think you are all out of your mind if you do not think the big dogs are not going to leave out of there together. I do agree it may not be safer but it is going to happen.. These guys run it to see who is the badazz.. I have said for years they should do a shootout.. The one thing we forget, anyone with the money can buy one of these, it does not mean they are qualified to drive them..

The problem with that is if the big dogs roll out now, 95% of the boats wont be looking for them and will all be doing their own thing. Anyone ever seen a cruiser roll across the lake doing their own thing in front of 175mph boats? I have. Not pretty.

I have a friend who wasn't doing the poker run this year but since the new format he decided to sign up. He loves the idea from a participant standpoint.

I can believe that if you are not in the top 5% this format would be just as fun if not more for the participant.

I've been going for a while now, finally have a boat I could run and wont be now - The hype for me was watching all the boats come by Harmon after the shotgun start. Ill likely just hang around the docks a bit more and enjoy the lake/coves more than usual for this Poker Run.

It was devistating last year with the loss of fellow boaters, time will tell if this was the right call for the Cumberland run.

Hope to see everyone there!

I can believe that if you are not in the top 5% this format would be just as fun if not more for the participant.

IF this is the actual result of the change then the run should have a positive outcome this year and increasing turnouts going forward.

I know i'm still going down. We have a group of about 10-12 people going. Gonna be a fun weekend. Not too worried with the new format. Still going to be a lot of fun. This year they have real bands and not the ****ty DJ that played the same song 50 times on Saturday night. Don't forget to bring TONS of beds for Harmon Creek. Lol. :drool::drool: :surf::surf::surf: :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Exactly. I see more of the avearge boater will want to enter now. Hell, i would feel like a dingy in a cross Atlantic race with a 253 convincor.

Exactly. I see more of the avearge boater will want to enter now. Hell, i would feel like a dingy in a cross Atlantic race with a 253 convincor.

We felt like a dingy in Slingblades heavy ass Very Deep Vee 26' Enforcer last year so dont feel bad. Everyone just keep your head on a swivel and keep your lines, those tiny dots in the distance quickly turn into big loud boats screaming by you at 150 in just seconds.

Back