• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

new member with 89 panther 17'

panther150

Hi everyone, I just picked up an 89 panther 17' with a 150 prov yamaha from a buddy this year.I've been enjoying this website for the last few months.Here's my current setup: stock 89 prov150 yamaha with stock black steel 25 pitch yamaha prop,motor is second hole from the bottom on the transom( propshaft is five and one half inches below the pad) the motor is revving 5500 to 5700 rpm.I think I'm running mid sixties for mph.The first change I'm going to make is to move the motor to the top hole, wich would make it three and one half inches below the pad.I want low seventies out of this boat next year if I can get it, while still using it for tubing and skiing.Iplan on replacing the single cable steering with a dual cable rack setup,and trying a few new props from my local marina,the thing i'm not sure about is wether or not to add a jackplate, a few people have told me it won't be as good for tubing etc. or I wont notice more speed unless I block the lower water pickup holes and raise the motor to the max, others say that a six inch plate has no downside and to go for it.Since this boat is basicly a seventeen ft. checkmate, i figured you guys would know.I would really appreaciate any info anyone could share as I'm new to this sport.

If you do a lot of water sports and still want the top end speed go with a hyd 6" plate, down for fun up for speed.
Install a water pressure gage and a temp gage.

I can't see you getting low 70's on a 17' boat with a 150. But maybe it's just me.

Just hitting 70 would be a challenge I would think.

Normally on a Check a jackplate helps get the bow up which is always a help. Like Gus said though, make sure you have a waterpressure guage so you don't fry your powerhead.

Thanks for the input guys!The other thing I'm considering doing is upgrading my 150 with 200 carbs.If I run a six inch manual plate three or three and one half below the pad will it still help my boats performance?I'm thinking of a 25p tempest plus prop.( If I upgrade the power I will also try a 26 pitch) sound ballpark to you guys? I will try to get some digital pics soon and post them.

if you decide to upgrade carbs, double check the exhaust tuner part number to ensure it is the same, sometimes they'll change that as well to get the extra hp.

Thanks Chris,the prov 150 and 200 use the same tuner,but I need to check what other differences there are,the reeds are the same part munber but the cages are different numbers.The intake is also the same, so I wondering if I check the timing specks and bolt on the 200 carbs if it will give me some good top end without hurting the bottom end too much.My motor has 2 to one gears in the lower unit and the 200 has 1.87. You would think 200 carbs should work well right????? If anyone out there has a set of 32mm yamaha carbs they would sell let me know.

The cylinder heads are different from 150 to 200 to 225 aswell, again I'm not sure how well the carbs will work without the matching heads. I wonder if its just a slight increase in compression?

took my brain a minute, the prov engine was designed for bass boats, thats why its a 2:1 instead of the 1.87:1 so it could push a heavier hull faster.

I'm waiting to see how the boat runs with the propshaft three and one half below,maybe with this gearing i can use more prop? a 26p tempest plus , laser 2, or yamaha . I I can find a set of carbs I might give it a try.

There are plenty of guys hitting high 70's low 80's with stock 150's depends lots on hull and setup you are really deep with your shaft but get a pressure guage before you start jacking it too high. My buddy gets about 81 on a gps in a 18 foot charger with 150. but he's spinning a 28 sometimes a 30, so good luck with the 70's.

Thanks Blizz, I hope tp get out in the next week with the shaft three and one half below the pad and see how it runs.The pressure guage will go on the same time the dual cable steering / 6" jack plate goes on.

Well good luck to ya Panthers got it in em to go fast once they're set up right a friend of my dad that worked a mercury in toronto had on into the high 80's low 90's with a modded 2.4 200 back in the early eighties, so keep at it.

That must have been one hairy ride!.It's funny you mentioned that combe, my friend that i'm going boating with,weather permitting ,this weekend has the same one.His is an 82 17' panther with a 2.5 200 with a 25 p cleaver.I'm looking forward to seeing how his combo goes,lot's of power,but from what i've iearned from this site,I don't think the cleaver is the best prop for him,we'll see!

yes it was an exciting ride but smooth when you got it up and haulin. A chopper would be a better prop boat needs some bow lift. If you don't mind sacrificing some holeshot spin something big 28 & up

I have a 17' Panther just like yours with a 200 merc. I can run 65mph easy with two people aboard. I have seen 69 with 4 people in the boat, more weight makes it easier to drive. These boats have narrow pads, which makes them tricky to balance. I also plan to upgrade to dual cable steering. Your boat was likley setup by the same guys at Quinns Marina. Tim Quinn could drive a Panther!! My motor sits way down on the lowest mounting hole. I'm sure I could see great top speeds with props and setup, but I don't want to destroy my classic!

Correction, I just hit 71mph solo with my 23p quicksilver stainless. I am really impressed how this boat performs with the right trim and steering input. I keep saying I don't need to go really fast, but it's a nasty habit!!

It's been awile

Hi everyone, I've moved and been busy looking after my father in Beaverton and hav'nt been playing with the boat alot for the last year or so. I blew the Pro V150 at the end of the summer two seasons ago on a wide open blast across Raven lake. I now have a redone 1989 Evinrude 225 Limited Edition sitting on a six inch high jacker hp jackplate.It's got solid mounts, Boyesen reeds, offshore exhaust snout on the midsection, gutted airbox and a worked 14.5" by 26" raker prop. I have also installed a foot throttle and dual cable steering with all of the slack adjusted out. This thing is a blast to drive! I hav'nt had the gps on it yet, but at 6200rpm I think I probably doing high seventies to low eithties.At 20mph when you hit it it launches the whole boat out of the water!. I'm replacing the reeds and installing a new oms pump to replace the VRO aswell. I'll get some pictures and try and post them in the next few weeks.

That sounds like fun! I run my Panther in Fenelon Falls. I have a 200 merc sitting right on the transom. I am planning on borrowing a gps this weekend to try a 26 chopper and a 25 laser. We'll see what happens...

17' Panther speed

I'm still messing with this when I get time, the propshaft is about 1.75 to 2" below the pad, I've raised the compression with the 2.7 .700 deep chamber heads(140 psi now) and the next thing I'm going to do is have some work done to the prop. I'm running somewhere in the low eighties right now, my Livorsi gps antenna battery died and I hav'nt had a gps reading this year yet. It's a blast to drive!

Steve

Back