• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Oil in the engine bay, help to clean?

Yukon

Hiya... well, here is my first dumb dumb of a question for ya's.

I am almost sure the previous owner blew a piston through the block. There was lots of oil in the engine bay... I scraped most of it but need to now what kinds of solvent can or can NOT be used to degrease it. I was going to go to a power spray car wash I know of that has engine degreaser as one of the spray options. Can I use engine degreaser? Will it be ok for the fiberglass? if not... what would you guys suggest? you can see some pics of the engine compartment here in this thread...

http://checkmate-boats.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=8626072361&f=7106095561&m=551100467

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Hiya... well, here is my first dumb dumb of a question for ya's.

I am almost sure the previous owner blew a piston through the block. There was lots of oil in the engine bay... I scraped most of it but need to now what kinds of solvent can or can NOT be used to degrease it. I was going to go to a power spray car wash I know of that has engine degreaser as one of the spray options. Can I use engine degreaser? Will it be ok for the fiberglass? if not... what would you guys suggest? you can see some pics of the engine compartment here in this thread...

http://checkmate-boats.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=8626072361&f=7106095561&m=551100467

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

I've used Dawn dish detergent. Cuts the grease pretty well.

Hi Yukon

Castrol's "Super clean" is an excellent cleaner, so is CRC "Brakleen" and Kleen Flo's "engine shampoo". All these are available from NAPA which you will find conviently located between highway 7 and bulloch drive in markham. Coming north on McCowan, turn right at the lights that take you into markville (laidlaw bus lines used to be on the corner, i think the street name is heritage but i could be wrong) - i grew up in markham - some things you don't forget!! Super clean is really strong at full strength and should do the trick. best of all very little scrubing will be required. We use it for all our degreasing at the marina and doesn't harm anything (except for skin). I used brakleen on my boat to clean some oil and it works great too.

By the way fellas, if by some freak accident you step in some grease and then walk into the house, leaving your shoes on as you go down stairs to get the tool you forgot, then realize the error of your ways on the way up stairs (and i know i'm not the only one!). Brakleen will lift the grease off the carpet while not damaging anything - trust me i know and my wife doesn't!!!!

Thanks JW and Chris E. I appreciate your input and chris, I know where you are talking...UAP right? I'm on Heritage daily towing cars into the many garages there.

I will try the dawn dish soap first as it seems like the more enviromentaly friendly choice. I have a feeling that I will need to hit UAP for the stronger stuff though. The engine bay is pretty mucked up from 5+ years of that crud just sitting in there
sick.gif

p.s. nice tip about the carpet btw, I'm famous for that... maybe the ol' lady will let me sleep in the house again rather then the camper bus
icon_biggrin.gif

yukon . you can definetly use a pressure washer or the do it yourself carwash on it . its the fastest way . make sure drain stays clear and bow is up . any concentrated all purpose cleaner even lestoil, will help .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BOB'S 283:
yukon . you can definetly use a pressure washer or the do it yourself carwash on it . its the fastest way . make sure drain stays clear and bow is up . any concentrated all purpose cleaner even lestoil, will help . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, power washes are great, go in late when no-one is lining up... take your time make a mess... lestoil eh? I'll put it on my list.

Thanks for your input as well my friend.

You can use builge cleaner availible at any marine store.It works pretty good I used it on my ambasador.I'll have you're pics this weekend he's pulling his jetboat out of storage sat.
thumb.gif

Greased Lightining works better than anything else I've tried. Spray it on, let it soak, and powerwash.....

Thanks for the tip hemibee... maybe I'll try everyones and have the cleanest darn engine bay in all of north america... maybe even the world!!!!
bounce.gif

== bdusted440, thanks again for your input... I can't wait to see the pics (not rushing you of course) I took a look at some of my coolent parts and finaly saw where the water actualy comes into the system... man I'm blind... the hose was right there connected to my drive. I see a little more light everytime I look at it.

Hey Yukon:

Just spent a couple of quality hours in the bilge of my dad's Sea Ray (sank last year before he bought it - check those bellows fellas). A scrub brush, hose and almost a litre of "super clean" later and i could have dinner in bilge. Best part - hardly used the scrub brush - oil residue pretty much fell off. Mine won't be near as fun as yours - but you're not alone
icon_smile.gif

Back