• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Outboard re powering

All,

I'm sure this topic has been covered before:

What is the best way to track down a pre owned 225 or 250 Mercury or Yamaha to re power an older Checkmate.

I'm looking to join the Checkmate ranks and most of the Hulls I'm coming across are underpowered. So what's the best way to gauge the costs for swapping out under power units to a more powerful lump?

Steering conversion to Hydraulic, Throttle controls, possible Hotfoot, Fixed Jackplate, new gauges? Props and LE importance upfront $

Bolster of the transom :eyecrazy:

Any help appreciated.

*Models, I'm looking at are Starflite/Pulse/Pulsare

I have a 93 2.5 carbed 245 hp merc. I'm trying to move. Its on a starflite, the hull has no real value(soft floors, leaky rebuilt transom, deck and hull separating in rear starboard side, been shot with clear 3 times, you getting the picture.

What it does have, The merc has a factory long block replacement about 10 yrs ago. Then rebuilt with merc gold rings ($500) 50 hrs ago at 325 hrs (gauged). It is completely stock down to its air box and fly wheel cover.

The Hull has plenty of extras. cmc hydro lift, 10 inch offset bracket, brand new holley fuel pump, dual battery set, ski pylon. $180 underwater light, 2 yr old $400 marine radio and amp. 8 gauges, land & sea foot throttle, great fold up ladder, dual glide steering, steering wheel mounted trim buttons, even a small electric converter, and a well maintain trailer with new tires,

I'm the 2nd owner (past 21 yrs) and Looking to get $4,000 obo for the whole package. The motor has always been turn key for me. Good Luck, Merc245. Anybody interested please PM me. Here daily.

The trailer will, I was just down that way 2 summers ago, I don't have any real recent pics. And unfortunately my 8.5 out of 10 cowling was slid across I-75 this past summer, and now has the appropriate scratches, no cracks thou.( image seeing your cowling lying in the center lane of the north bound side as your heading south! and on a date to boot! :eyecrazy:

I'll get some over! :thumb:

All,

I'm sure this topic has been covered before:

What is the best way to track down a pre owned 225 or 250 Mercury or Yamaha to re power an older Checkmate.

I'm looking to join the Checkmate ranks and most of the Hulls I'm coming across are underpowered. So what's the best way to gauge the costs for swapping out under power units to a more powerful lump?

Steering conversion to Hydraulic, Throttle controls, possible Hotfoot, Fixed Jackplate, new gauges? Props and LE importance upfront $

Bolster of the transom :eyecrazy:

Any help appreciated.

*Models, I'm looking at are Starflite/Pulse/Pulsare

Stuff is out there. I have my 03 Yammy 250hp Vmax for sale right now for $6k. It will come with pretty much everything needed to repower a boat to Yamaha. And with some negotiations it could even come with hydro steering.

With that said every time Merc245 post something about his for sale i struggle to not get in the truck and head for Michigan to pick it up! I have seen and herd that motor in person and a 2.5 merc at rpm is just orgasmic to my ears!! :drool:

Motors are out there all over the internet. Just make sure you have a good mechanic check it over. I am a Mercury dealer and have see a lot of people buy junk and didn't have it checked out. I'm in the process of redoing a 211 pulse with a 300XS, Uflex silver steer system and all Mercury smatcraft gauges.

Back