• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Paint vs. Wrap

jordan705

Looking to update my 283 and am torn about rather to have it painted or wrap. I checked into a wrap and the places uses 3m should be good at least 6-7yrs and is about $2800 vs $9000 to paint. I know wraps have come along way over the past couple of years but still doing research. Any opinions?

A lot of fishermen go with wraps for boats they're going to resell. The wraps offer tremendous protection from the daily use, but abuse will still wreck them. I'd go with the wrap over paint...you can do it twice or thrice if you want to and still be dollars ahead with the wrap.

Our dealership uses wraps and they hold up well. One was on a Tacoma and went off road a bunch. After The tree branches and automatic car wash for two years it still looks good. The plus side is you can get anything printed on it. The Toyota logos on the Tacoma were even raised up. Gave it some 3D definition.

I looked into a wrap as well and the price I was quoted was about the same you have. The one thing they told me to be careful with was bumpers. You will need to get Cloth or Fleece covers for them. They said a bumper rubbing on the wrap will kill it almost as fast as a wooden dock. The good thing about a wrap also is even if you do damage it, they can usually just reprint the one panel that needs replaced for a fraction of the cost. And yes, you can go as crazy with the graphics as you want for no more money.

I am putting a wrap on my 283. I was at the shop Monday getting the details ironed out. I wanted paint but just tired of dealing with the shops and the 7-10k quotes don't help matters either. Jordan I am looking at it as our boats just don't have the value to support a custom paint job. I will be going with something on the mild side but always have disliked my graphics and it's time to take care of it. I'm not worried what others think about the wrap . I would even bet I will get more out of it than if I left the 92 graphics on it. Good luck . Mine will be in the shop in 2-3 wks and they only need it for 4 days.

Last edited:
Not really a wrap I guess.
I had a local sign shop make a decal to cover up the RASBERRY on my boat. just got tired of the comments of having a pink boat.:)
$300 installed and I still have the original gel coat underneath.
009-Copy.jpg
009.jpg

Wow I really like that raspberry on there.

27424758d1394748813-fansproject-stunticons-menasor-aka-m3-intimidator-notsureifserious.jpg

Not really a wrap I guess.
I had a local sign shop make a decal to cover up the RASBERRY on my boat. just got tired of the comments of having a pink boat.:)

You just need to embrace it man!!! I freaking love my pink boat!!! Hell, I just ordered $250 worth of pink billet accessories for mine!! I may be a little weird, but when the powerball was over a billion dollars, my wife and I agreed that if we won, we would order a new Skater, and you can bet your A$$ that mofo would have pink on it!!!

I am putting a wrap on my 283. I was at the shop Monday getting the details ironed out. I wanted paint but just tired of dealing with the shops and the 7-10k quotes don't help matters either. Jordan I am looking at it as our boats just don't have the value to support a custom paint job. I will be going with something on the mild side but always have disliked my graphics and it's time to take care of it. I'm not worried what others think about the wrap . I would even bet I will get more out of it than if I left the 92 graphics on it. Good luck . Mine will be in the shop in 2-3 wks and they only need it for 4 days.

Thanks for the info. and I agree after getting quoted 7-9k to basically just cover the in gel graphics just seems crazy compared to the overall value of the boat. I think I will also move forward with the wrap process esp. since I plan to buy a new boat in the next 5 years and like you said I don't see why it wouldn't benefit in our favor when it comes to value.

Now if the snow/weather would cooperate long enough for me to get side shots for them to do the mock up that would be great. I'm shooting to have mine done in the middle of April so we will see how it turns out.

Yes we plan to move up after this season or next. My wrap will be $3800 or less if I pull the rails and cleats. Full wrap including transom , windscreen and some work under the hatch. My rails are white powder coated so I will have my buddy powder coat everything accordingly. I am kind of excited about it. I know the Checkmate enthusiast frown on wraps for the most part but some graphics are better off covered up lol.

Yes we plan to move up after this season or next. My wrap will be $3800 or less if I pull the rails and cleats. Full wrap including transom , windscreen and some work under the hatch. My rails are white powder coated so I will have my buddy powder coat everything accordingly. I am kind of excited about it. I know the Checkmate enthusiast frown on wraps for the most part but some graphics are better off covered up lol.

Jeff, where/who are you using to wrap your boat. The price is pretty fair for some I've got quoted around here. Also make sure to post pics when Its done as I'm anxious to see what you went with and how it looks. I've started designing me but with unlimited options when it comes to a wrap its hard.

Now if the snow/weather would cooperate long enough for me to get side shots for them to do the mock up that would be great. I'm shooting to have mine done in the middle of April so we will see how it turns out.
Since we're all chatting freely here,
I lived in Illinois for 43 years. I had to google Virden.:brickwall:

I am getting it done at Edgewraps in St. Johns Mi. There are only a few good places here that do top notch work. Many others that make signs and wrap cars and such. Their website is lacking some of their best work but they have been wrapping boats for a long time and are the best around here. I was originally going with a partial wrap and only chase and cover the gel graphics but decided on a full wrap. No more wheeling for this guy. I just went online and looked at some offshore boats I liked and shared them with the artist. Of course he is putting his own design to it and it wil be a one of a kind. Much quicker if you see a boat you like and go from there.

Since we're all chatting freely here,
I lived in Illinois for 43 years. I had to google Virden.:brickwall:

What area were you from in Illinois and you think that's bad I'm actually live in Thayer with a population of 700 ish you blink and you will miss it lol

I am getting it done at Edgewraps in St. Johns Mi. There are only a few good places here that do top notch work. Many others that make signs and wrap cars and such. Their website is lacking some of their best work but they have been wrapping boats for a long time and are the best around here. I was originally going with a partial wrap and only chase and cover the gel graphics but decided on a full wrap. No more wheeling for this guy. I just went online and looked at some offshore boats I liked and shared them with the artist. Of course he is putting his own design to it and it wil be a one of a kind. Much quicker if you see a boat you like and go from there.

They have done some awesome work by the looks of all the pics. I had the same problem around here when it came to finding a reputable dealer to apply them to boats. I believe I'm going with Vinyl Images out of St.Louis, MO. They recently did a couple fountains that turned out awesome but there not on the site either.

What area were you from in Illinois and you think that's bad I'm actually live in Thayer with a population of 700 ish you blink and you will miss it lol
Born in Libertyville.
Lived in McHenry on Chain O Lakes for 18 years.
Right on the border of WI and IL

Back