• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Project "Wasted Income"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Brian, i've been looking for a set of lift struts for the hatch on my boat, mine won't hold the hatch up anymore and i just use a stick. My Dad works for an auto parts wharehouse so i gave him one of my struts to see of they had anything that would work, or could cross reference and find a set but have had no luck. Are you going with and electric set-up or just OEM gas type struts?? Just curious cuz if you know where to get them or what would work i'd like to know!! Can you get them right from Checkmate?

I got mine from West Marine, Big variety, I used two 20 pound 12 x 20's.:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10114&subdeptNum=11315&classNum=11375

My Resto:
http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14018

Man, you just got that thing running well and now you're gonna go and throw fiero parts at it?!?!?! You're just a glutton for punishment aren't ya?

Thanks i'll have to check them out! I was wondering about what weight struts to get, i know on a car with a fiberglass hood if the hood springs have to much tension it wil warp them really quick, i don't want to warp my engine hatch so that's why i didn't go with the parts store struts, they all seemed to stiff.

Jason, I know Mike at checkmate can tell you what you need. I talked to him about it a while ago but with a different hatch, I got to do something different!!

why dont you quit tinkering with that thing and get your butt up here for the poker run this weekend gonna be a few other nice mates to look at

Josh, Sounds like it could be fun but have spent my play money on my truck this month :pissed:. Nothing worse than an unplanned $1200+ into parts to rebuilt the entire brake system and the steering:brickwall:. Oh well at least I now know its reliable and will go down the road straight towing the boat. Now if I could only do something about the 9mpg :shakehead:

Started tinkering with it yesterday. Got the lift installed and working as it should!
Position #1
29743044123_large.jpg
Position #2 (for working on the engine)
29743044126_large.jpg
The support
29743044125_large.jpg
Next it to coat the underside of the hatch black to match the bilge. I sent it off to the dealer to get the engine re-aligned before I do that.

Next on the list it to make this boat more perfect. The anchor light was not what I expected when I bought it but installed it anyways. It didn't take long to get broken loose from the base. Also the height does not meet USCG requirements. We slept on the boat last weekend and realized how comfortable it really is (considering its a low-pro 21' boat). So we are going to sleep on it more often instead of paying $34+ a night for a square of grass to set the tent on.
Before
29743044124_large.jpg
The new parts. The attwood base is an awesome polished stainless piece. I have a real problem with "cheap" or "junk" chrome parts. If its thin and skimpy, I would never install on a boat of mine. The light pole is a standard aluminum with a standard bulb, it wasn't worth the extra $$ for the LED pole.
29743044127_large.jpg

I also will be giving the dash a face lift as well. The boat is just to boring ;) so the dash is going to be airbrushed and billet aluminum goodies added also. Padded elbow pads are also getting installed as I am tired of getting the crap bruised out of me :(

Picked it up from the dealer today :banana:. Engine is back aligned as it should be and ready to go!

I got more done after getting it home. Lots of tinkering here and there on it. Got the new stern light installed
29743044131_large.jpg
Blacked out the lip for the engine hatch
29743044132_large.jpg
As well as coated the under side of the hatch :D (damn sexy looking I must say)
29743044133_large.jpg
I also installed a new horn button. I installed it here as it is a finger length away while I have the throttle down :thumb:. I'm going to add at least a SS washer to dress it up after the dash make over.
29743044136_large.jpg

From there, I crawled under the nose......and took a nap! When I woke up, I decided to start on the cabin repairs. The blue fir is falling down and the front piece needs glued back in

29743044128_large.jpg
After
29743044137_large.jpg
I even got the outdrive painted
29743044134_large.jpg
From there, I vacuumed it while the kids danced to the radio and flashing LED lights!!:banana::banana:

Tomorrow cleaner wax and a afternoon river run with high school friends:bigthumb:

Going out now to try and do some work to it. Had a bad day on the water but she came back in on her own power. The aluminum power steering/alt bracket broke for some reason. 5 miles+ back with no power assist really sucked. I called Dennis, the guy I bought them from and he answered on a sunday evening. He told me send them back and he will send a brand new set out as soon as he gets the old set. He also added this is his first set that he has had break on him but there would be no charge for the replacement. Hopefully I can find out what is going on and why it broke tonight or tomorrow. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERC...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4836d700a6

Going out now to try and do some work to it. Had a bad day on the water but she came back in on her own power. The aluminum power steering/alt bracket broke for some reason. 5 miles+ back with no power assist really sucked. I called Dennis, the guy I bought them from and he answered on a sunday evening. He told me send them back and he will send a brand new set out as soon as he gets the old set. He also added this is his first set that he has had break on him but there would be no charge for the replacement. Hopefully I can find out what is going on and why it broke tonight or tomorrow. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERC...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item4836d700a6

Bummer. Where did it break? It looks a little skimpy down where the alternator bolts on. I broke my alternator bracket when I put my engine back in. I had relocated it up higher so it would be away from the bilge. So I used a piece of 4x4 inch aluminum square tubing, the walls were about a 1/4 inch thick and made a bracket out of it. Worked great. No problems since.

The part that holds the P/S pump. All 3 bolts that hold it to the head are fine and the alt is fine. Its right above the bolts that it broke off. Yes, very thin cast aluminum. I might sell the new setup and put the old cast iron one back on....

I will get a pic of the bracket. Going out now to coat the motor in cleaner. The valve cover gaskets have a small leak on the bottom rear. This is a chance to get that fixed as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back