• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Pulse 185/Evinruse 150 Prop?

Slapshot

I have a new to me 1999 Pulse 185 with an Evinrude 150 EFI, no jack plate. What is a good prop for overall performance? Also are jack plates that much of a bebefit?

I have a new to me 1999 Pulse 185 with an Evinrude 150 EFI, no jack plate. What is a good prop for overall performance? Also are jack plates that much of a bebefit?

I'm not good with Evinrude props, but I can tell you about jack plates. If you just want a plate to play with engine heights, then yes most definitely get a 4"-6" setback jack plate. Your steering cables should reach. If you want your jack plate to also make a big difference in performance, then you're gonna want to get one that sets that engine back about 14". With the engine way back, then you can raise the motor as high as water pressure will allow, and you'll also be able to spin a larger diameter and pitch prop. The goal is to get almost half the prop out of the water at best trim/best top speed while keeping rpms near the upper end of the rpm range of the motor. The weight of the motor set back there will help leverage the bow up so that you can use less positive trim.

Checkmates owned: 1995 Pulsare 2100BR/1995 Mercury Promax 225 2.5 EFI. 1995 Persuader 183/4.3 LX V6. 1992 Pulse 171/1992 Mercury XR6 150 hp 2.5 liter.

I agree with JW, and will add this. If you start messing with engine height, get a water pressure gauge.
Also a good bow lifting prop for the OMC bunch is the raker. Nice prop.

GusAvatar2.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+ / Sky jacker 6" plate / 25p Laser 2 prop

Hello Slapshot,

I was wondering if you could tell me a little about your Pulse 185? How did you find it? was it at a marina? What color is it and what other options does it have? How do you like it?

Thanks

I found it on the net, and drove 250 miles to see it. White hull/red and white interior/ great shape. I knew I wanted a used Checkmate for quality reasons. I am still playing with set-up, and am looking for my last lake run this week-then storage. I hope to see 60 mph out of the boat, and still haul my wife and kids skiing and tubeing. I'll post a picture when I have one.

Back