• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Sam I am's 89 Starliner Restore (Pictorial Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam I am

This will be the first post of what I hope will be an "Epic" restore thread. If I've learned one thing about the restore threads that I enjoyed the most...LOTS OF PICTURES ARE KEY! Here we go!

I picked this "thing" up for $2000. I thought I got a great deal. But my wife said: "This thing looks like a huge money pit." Now that I crawled on it a little bit...I'm pretty sure she's right. In that vein, my Grandpa said it best: "Boat, a hole in the water in which one throws endless amounts of money." I don't think this one will be that far off from their descriptions. The interior is shot. A very poor attempt at rebuilding the floor and seats has already been done. The lower unit is cracked. The motor does not tilt. The motor may, or may not, run. I'm not too concerned with any of the faults, because this will be a labor of love and I was going to replace the motor with something ridiculous anyway.

It's a 100% complete Starliner...couldn't be a better project boat. Everything is there!

TheNewRig.jpg

It sure doesn't look like much...the blue and white color scheme is horrible.

DSC_0032.jpg

But...it's sure putting a smile on my face!

DSC_0012.jpg

There is some mild dock rash all over...oh well. It's going to be RED anyway.

DSC_0014.jpg

I think I could bring back the gel, but it's so dang ugly anyway, why bother.

DSC_0019.jpg

This thing may be a rock. If it's not a rock, it's a POS at the very least.

DSC_0016.jpg

Caulking around the corner of the motor plate and spash well does not bode well.

DSC_0020.jpg

Stuff I found in boat: moss, leaves, a dead bird, a squirrel tail, rotten vinyl, a perfect glove box, a perfect windshield including the center piece, perfect dash and gauge layout, perfect cooler lids, all factory hardware...in otherwords, a total disaster with some major "wins" thrown in to still make me feel great about this boat.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Hey what's that?

DSC_0029.jpg

Score! 21P Tempest Plus! Not in great shape, but still another small victory.

More pics...

DSC_0027.jpg

All the gauges a guy could hope for and in a layout I can live with. So, at least I don't have to infill the dash!!

DSC_0025.jpg

Shot.

DSC_0026.jpg

Probably shot.

DSC_0024.jpg

Sigh. :brickwall:

DSC_0023.jpg

Out of all the ugly stuff on this boat...this was the ugliest. How do I repair this?

After it's all said and done, I hope this will be a great boat and experience. I'm a little scared, but after reading all the restore threads and seeing how all the tremendous people on this board are willing and happy to offer advice and guidance...I'm going for it.

My father-in-law thinks boats are cute and we're all a little silly...so he offered up a pose with some "Real Horsepower"

DSC_0033.jpg

Ohhhhh Baby! You have your work cut out for you.
Just to remind you, Here's what a Starliner looks like;
IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

Just in case you forgot. Maybe some day we can get them all together to play!
P.S.- I call dibs on the squirrel tail.

Looks like it will be a labor of love forsure, I like it, I might have to stop in and help with some stuff to see if I want to take one on some day, it may be a money pit but you can't walk into a dealer and buy one of those anymore so it will be worth it, IMO I like them more than the new one's.

If you need some help down the road with some stuff that you need an extra body for let me know and I'll be sure that my truck breaks down in Fargo ;)

Nice. I need to go get my boat soon.

When you get those swim platforms off, can you lay them on a piece of paper, and trace around them. And could you do that for both cooler lids. I just need a tracing and a couple of measurements. Thanks

No problem. It's going to sit in a snow bank until April.

Pulled the lower unit off

Well...I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to get back to Fargo from WI when the motor won't tilt and the skag appears to have allready been shortened by some road rash. So...I dropped off the nose cone lower unit. I got a good look at the crack in the bottom of the cone after I did that. So, she should roll home easy, now.

A couple of questions: can the nose cone be repaired or is it shot? And should I put a garbage bag, or something, around the mid section?

If you are thinking of putting a bag on the mid for storage I guess that's fine but if its going to sit outside I would cut a hole in the bottom or it will fill up with water and make a mess. You should be able to disconnect a trim hose or two and manually lift then lock the motor on its mechanical lock.

John

There is a release knob/screw on the right side of the engine that should bypass the trim pump and let you manually raise it.

Congrats Sam. I'm looking forward to the build. I love these threads.

By the way for light reading I bought a book named "Runabout Renovations" by Jim Anderson. I don't think its in print any longer so you have to buy a used one. I got it for a buck off Amazon + five more to ship. So far it's a great read and combining that with all the knowledge on this forum I'm becoming a lot smarter.:D

I did some more crawling on the boat and I have some general Starliner questions: The seats don't appear to be in the original spots...does anybody have placement measurements? Same with the back seat cleats for keeping the rear bench in place...they're gone.

The boat is an 89 titled for the first time in 2001? It's only been 11 years and this boat is falling apart?! I don't believe it... I guess that's what happens when they sit unprotected out doors. What a mess. I've been itching to tear into this beast but I leave for FL for 6 weeks next Wed and I don't want to start and then split. So...I'll wait until I get back from FL to get into it hardcore.

I've been researching metal flake paint jobs and gel coats. Looks like a huge undertaking and major PITA. Also...I'm no painter. So the costs would be significant. I'm not spending more on the paint than I did for the whole boat. But, here's the general plan for the restore:

Build a cradle to get the boat off the trailer and on the floor. It seems like it will be a lot easier to get something done if I don't have to climb up and down and in and out of the trailer.

Derig everything. Sell the motor and controls. Anyone want to venture what I'll get for the motor and controls? The wiring is spagetti. What a mess. Have of it's cut and splice to NOTHING?!

Split the hull. I'm not going to screw around on this. If there's caulking around the motor plate...the transom is most likely rotten. From all the threads, the transom replacement will be a lot easier with the top deck off.

Floor, transom, stringers (keeping my fingers crossed on the core) removal and replacement commences. Should only take a couple of days...right?;) I was going to go with coosa board for all this. BUT, since I'd have to take up man-whoring in the oil patch to pay for it, I'll be going with wood. Just can't justify for the added expense. I may change my mind on this for the transom.

Once everything is glassed back together...Flip the hull and start sanding. I'll be rereading JTpatroni's thread a few more times. Also will be looking at all the paint threads some more. Will probably start saving for an airline ticket for Yellowfiero. :poke:

I'm going to redo all the teak...I love wood accents on a boat. Also, going to put transom lights and bow lights. Checkout oceanLED.com...cool product and definitely will plus up the PIMP factor. These are also why I wanted to go with coosa for the transom. But, if I use 5200 on the through hole and screw holes and follow their install instructions...I think it will be fine. The boat will not be in the water unless being used.

Definitely going rubber floor. This will be a pricey upgrade, but worth it. After having it, I loved it. It really allowed me to enjoy the boat more because I knew it would clean up easy. Kids with koolaid...fine by me. Eggshell white. Here's the link: http://www.plasteak.com/plasteak-recycled-plastic-products/teak-holly-and-flooring/loncoin-flooring Will keep looking for cheaper sources, but it's really hard to find suppliers with 8' rolls.

I'm going to order a factory interior. Just close my eyes and write the check. Does anyone know if I'll get original Starliner seats or will they be Pulsare seats? Is there a difference? Seastar Hydraulic steering and livorsi gauges. Also, I've been researching the LED accent and rope lighting for some bling factor. Looks cool. I'm not going crazy with the stereo. At the most it will be a 4 speaker set up, no sub, with an iPod dock. However, I might not even put a stereo in...we'll see.

And finally, the plan is to find a used Yamaha 250 SHO four stroke outboard. There are used ones just hitting craigs now. I'm hoping in another year there will be more. The cost will be significant, but I plan on keeping this boat for a LONG time. If I can't find a Yamaha SHO, then I'll go with a 250 Merc Pro XS or an Etec 250 HO. Thinking about 10" of setback...but not sure. Maybe 12"?

Oh yeah...a new trailer is in the line up as well. I met the owner of the business that manufactures all the boat trailers for Larson. He's got about a bu-zillion trailers sitting out in his lot and a whole bunch of trailers that folks have traded to him. Most of the trailers taken on trade were undersized for the boat that they came with. Sad. Someone buys a new boat and their trailer is a bare ass minimum trailer in terms of being able to handle the weight. But, they'll work great for the Starliner. Double axles, surge brakes and he'll have the bunks fitted and welded for the hull if I can get it there. He had the perfect new used white one for me already there, but since I'm a year away from needing a trailer...I figured that money needs to go into the restore.

Well...that's the rough plan. A big time saver would be to save the gel coat and keep it blue and white. But...I'm a red guy. Who knows though...it might grow on me.

Last edited:
What I've learned so far from painting is take your time, prep, prep and prep is the key. Also having Brian close by that knows how to set the gun to spray correctly, helps tremendously!!! I'm sure if you PM him, he would be glad to help anyway possible. I would have the boat repainted it's much cheaper than gelcoating. Here's a link where a guy had his boat gelcoated, lots of work however a good read. http://www.performanceboats.com/paint-fiberglass-repair/29881-pats-fiberglass-my-sleekcraft.html

I gotta say this sounds like a ton of work but I am genuinely real jealous, can't wait till I can do this with a liner some day.

For your seat question you should be getting the same as the originals but it would be made out of wood, they use the plastic in it now like your new boat has, obviously it will last forever but Mike said it's a little heavier than the wood.

I must have missed it, but is this rebuild going to eventually replace your '08 setup or are you rebuilding this for fun and resale? :surf:

I'm actually thinking about trying to keep both. If I were smart, I would dump this Starliner right now and just go buy a 250 for my 2000BR. But, after hanging out on this forum for the past 6 years, this is an itch I think I'll need to scratch. We'll see how expensive this boat turns out to be. If I tie up a pile of dough in this restore, I may have no choice but to keep it and sell the Pulsare.

But, you raise an interesting point...is a restored Starliner worth anything?

Last edited:
Started tearing it up today...

After pulling it into the garage last week to thaw out and let the snow melt out of it, I couldn't help but notice that my garage was starting to reek of cat piss. I walked over to the boat in stuck my nose in there and...yeah, smelled like a cat had been living in it for a LONG time. So. That led to some minor pulling and tugging which in turn led to yanking out most of the interior. Not that it was hard. The entire interior was being held together by the vinyl. No lie. After about 4 hours I had all the seats and carpet out. I've never seen so many loose screws in a boat. I bet I pulled out a 5 lbs of screws, nuts and bolts just rolling around in this boat including 4 big washers and nuts for the props, about 12 spark plugs, tons of stainless steel screws and gobs of garbage, leaves and trash. What mess.

Hey...I wonder what will happen if I pull on this...oh.
DSCF3895.jpg

DSCF3896.jpg

DSCF3897.jpg

DSCF3898.jpg

It's easy to remove old stuff when all you have to is gently pull.

DSCF3903.jpg

Everything is wet.
DSCF3899.jpg

Yes. Dead $h!t. Who doesn't love dead $h!t. In their boat. Not me.
DSCF3906.jpg

More pics...

Here's the back end with all the seats and carpet out.

DSCF3907.jpg

Ski locker and bases with everything out.

DSCF3908.jpg

The rest of the floor...everything is soft.

DSCF3909.jpg

The seat bases literally disintegrated...I would not have been surprised to find termites. Luckily, I didn't.

DSCF3893.jpg

I'm going to be able to fill up my pick up with the amount of stuff that needs to go to the dump. What a mess.

DSCF3911.jpg

How much of the interior do I save? My plan is to order a new interior from the factory. Will they make the panels or do I need to do that? There is nothing to save...it's almost all rotten! Will they make new seat bases for the back bench and bow seats? How about the panels under the dash...they were so rotten they just nudged out with my foot! If I need old stuff to make templates...I'm screwed as it all just fell apart in my hands.

My hope is I can call Checkmate up and say, "Gimme a complete 89 Starliner interior in white with red, black and silver accents, please." I will then commence to close my eyes, sell a kidney and stroke a check. Is this a sound plan?

How much of the interior do I save? My plan is to order a new interior from the factory. Will they make the panels or do I need to do that? There is nothing to save...it's almost all rotten! Will they make new seat bases for the back bench and bow seats? How about the panels under the dash...they were so rotten they just nudged out with my foot! If I need old stuff to make templates...I'm screwed as it all just fell apart in my hands.

My hope is I can call Checkmate up and say, "Gimme a complete 89 Starliner interior in white with red, black and silver accents, please." I will then commence to close my eyes, sell a kidney and stroke a check. Is this a sound plan?

They can still do it...my dad called them about his and if I remember correctly it was something like $2200 or $2300 for the complete interior 3 color and I think $1000 or $1100 for just the skins. If you going to keep the boat it's probably a good investment especially since they don't use wood anymore.

It will come complete, dash support panels, bow insert, everything you need, when I did my Eluder I was quoted 2100 for complete or 1050 for skins, starliner is probably a bit more, it will not come with the little slats or buttons as they call them, I used my original buttons as most of them were in good shape and I just got skins so they were easy to put on, a couple of mine were rusted through on the backing were the string goes through that holds them in, both behind the control box where they are not noticeable so I left them off, I doubt you will want to pull staples on the new interior to re use them so if you have a couple that are not rusted through on the back keep em' for me if you don't mind in case I need one down the road, they are not available anymore, they are more of a oval shape now and the old one's just look better on the classic hulls IMO, I thought the side panels looked too plain without them.

I can't belive all that rot you have, that's crazy :eyecrazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back