• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Saving a Trimate 2

nate1001

Hello,
First post here. Decided to join and share a project I started after reading through the other trimate 2 restoration thread. I got a good deal on this boat (FREE!!). The previous owner acquired this boat to fix, but never did and neglected for quite a few years. I'm not sure what year it is, as I can't find a hull tag on it.
b7PcBi.jpg

This is after picking up. The inside is full of plants and stick and other things.

vRozD6.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't get to keep the trailer, so I blocked it up in my yard.

QPFmjN.jpg

But I did get the motor, which didn't run.

S298pn.jpg

After a trash can full of crap removal, starting to see whats underneath.

uLXp27.jpg

The front area is all rotten and the foam is soggy.

iKhpHH.jpg

Somebody replaced the rear floor, but neglected to finish glassing it. So all the flooring needs replacing and the knees for the transom don't look to good.

I decided the easiest way to work on it was to remove the deck, so here it coming off.

K0tEQs.jpg

3beqej.jpg

And here's what it looked like inside.
VysQKd.jpg

Also, got a trailer to fix up to hold it.

EtdxzM.jpg

Thats where it sits at the moment. I have to start removing all the wood and start getting supplies. I got the motor running after replacing the trigger before I removed it from the boat. Hopefully I can do the boat justice and get it back to its former glory.

Nice start on the resto. She should be a very nice boat when you're finished. It looks very similar to the 1975 I had. The HIN should be on the port side of the transom just below the rub rail and should be CHKXXXXXXXXX. It's not on a tag, but it's stamped in the hull. Best of luck with your project.:thumb: Jim

I don't have a title for it yet. I'm trying to get from the previous owner, but he thinks it might be lost. Thanks Jim for the tip on the location of the hin. Its there but covered up at the moment. I will try to remove the plate today and get the number.

1a3r6j.jpg

Once you're able to get the HIN you might call Kip Combs at Checkmate and he may be able to give you more info on your your boat.:thumb: Jim

Got some time to tear out the floor and evict the last of the plants.

McnAbv.jpg

S9FRcP.jpg

UbUlX1.jpg

When replacing the flooring, should the plywood be beveled to match the v of the boat? The old flooring wasn't and had resin poured along the edges to make a smooth transition which is hard to remove. Also, what kind of fiberglass should I use over the wood? I've only built rc planes with fiberglass, and that uses very light glass.

Back