• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

SCT's 1969 Checkmate V191 Raceboat restoration.

I wish I could help you find the right stuff for steering, but my location is about as bad as it gets for trying to locate great condition old boat parts or any boat parts for that matter.

I think you said you were looking for a dual cable set up? How tempted are you to modernize/ upgrade this one part?

Do you have the steering wheel?

Reactions: SCT
PLEASE let Andy know when you’re dropping it into LN so he can get some pix and vid for me!! :surf:

Really wanted to keep this project original.....but after trying to find old Ride Guide Merc steering.....I bit the bullet and bought SeaStar hydraulic steering.

Now I just need to hide the CC bill from the wife.....

Attachments

• EAEDA6F4-8FC4-4E95-B80D-A810FAF8FFFB.jpg
    EAEDA6F4-8FC4-4E95-B80D-A810FAF8FFFB.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 39
Really wanted to keep this project original.....but after trying to find old Ride Guide Merc steering.....I bit the bullet and bought SeaStar hydraulic steering.

Now I just need to hide the CC bill from the wife.....

I’ve been hiding bills like crazy lately! Lol
Wish I would have known you needed a steering cable. I had a NOS one that I sold on EBay not too long ago. It was 14’ though...might have been too long for you.

Well…… three years later…..I’m back on the V191 project!

There was a problem (my fault) w- the flake on the deck but my painter re-sprayed it and as you can see…it came out beautiful!

Just have to get it back to NC and get rigged, again. It will be running and in the water this summer!

That being said, I’ve lost interest in the boat and it will be up for sale if anyone is interested in a vintage Checkmate. With the boat’s racing history, it will be perfect to show at antique boat events!

PM if you have any questions.

Thanks-

Attachments

• A1888322-4318-4543-9415-BD03092EEBA8.jpeg
    A1888322-4318-4543-9415-BD03092EEBA8.jpeg
    518.1 KB · Views: 42
  • FC261402-496E-4EBC-BCA0-50802136AB55.jpeg
    FC261402-496E-4EBC-BCA0-50802136AB55.jpeg
    638.7 KB · Views: 41
Making some progress since I got the boat back to NC. All the rigging is back in and hope to mount the engines this week. Just need to find an old school mechanic in my area to tune the carbs and set the timing….

I never thought laying carpet would be the hardest part of this resto😳

Anyone interested in a cool, old school Checkmate….. let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_3038.jpeg
    IMG_3038.jpeg
    706.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3119.jpeg
    IMG_3119.jpeg
    518.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3125.jpeg
    IMG_3125.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0839.jpeg
    IMG_0839.jpeg
    613 KB · Views: 24
That would be one sweet Checkmate to have on my lake! I totally understand the whole 'lost interest' thing. I've got a 1976 Jeep CJ5 that took almost 20 years to resto/mod. I thought it would be a life changing experience to own and drive. Not so much. It rarely gets driven, and is taking up space at my lake house garage.

Back