• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Second test drive!!! OUCH!!!

Skialot2

I took my 1989 Spectra 171 out for my second test drive. I was cruising around 50, Felt a vibration but no bang. Boat made a hard left u turn. Poorly modified midsection broke in half!!! Bob's nose cone lower unit... Gone!!!! Brand new Hill Signature performer chopper prop.... Gone!!! It's in about 25 feet of water.IMG_20230803_150719625_HDR.jpg

The magnet trick is unlikely to be successfully but worth a try I guess. The driveshaft is the only thing you are going to grab but the diameter will hinder it staying attached. Good luck

Every Stainless steel propeller I have tested is magnetic. The drive shaft is magnetic and the propshaft is magnetic. Not as magnetic as regular steel. But with a big enough magnet I should be able to find it and hopefully drag it to shallower water.

Every Stainless steel propeller I have tested is magnetic. The drive shaft is magnetic and the propshaft is magnetic. Not as magnetic as regular steel. But with a big enough magnet I should be able to find it and hopefully drag it to shallower water.
You are correct, it depends on the “nickel content” of the stainless the Mercury uses.

Greetings. Task your fishing buddy with making a few passes where the incident took place with his latest fishfinder or side scan. The new one's are awesome on the images of the bottom. The lower unit should stand out from the background. We recovered an approximately 3x4 flat engine hatch from 80 feet. It stood out plainly on the screen. We ended up snagging the still attached lift cylinder. You could see the magnet on the side scan in real time. My fishing buddys ego, large by anyone's measure, was even more enormous after the recovery. Don't forget to pour a small libation in Davey Jones Honor before the search begins...

The 300lb magnet was a joke. It would pick up a prop but not much more. I returned it and ordered a 1500lb magnet. That should work.

Have you been able to get the water from on top of the lower unit yet?
I have been out twice drifting across the area at low tide looking and dragging the magnet. No luck yet. It's a big area. I know where I came from and the peer I drifted to after it broke off. But, I am not sure which way I drifted. I don't know if I drifted back over where I already drove or if I drifted the same direction I was traveling. I was pretty distracted and trying to get towed before hitting the pier. Plus I was doing 50 when it broke. I probably covered a pretty good distance after it came off. It could be in an area easily the size of a few football fields. I am going to keep trying.

Back