• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Starflite top speeds

Boston, I'm working on a new idea, I want to make one simaler to a Porta Bracket. Check out there web site, with some customizing it could be the best of both worlds, huge setback with integrated lift and larger surface area on the transome. The top pivot plate would need to be atleast 3' wide to bridge the load on a transome well boat I think.
I saw two on boats last summer, one was the local coast gaurd soft side rigid with a pair of 250's. the other was an open fisherman with a 250 Yami, he was able to come into the beach lift the plate and keep the motor trimed down,just the prop in the water and idle around in complete controll. Cool for were I boat in alot of shallow bays.

well I got to try a new prop today. I have been running a beat up LaserII 21P. My tach is not working so I cant post the rpms but I did get 65 mph today with the 21P laser. prop calculator shows this at about 7200 rpm.

I ran a 24P trophy plus as well. it only gained a couple mph. I ran 67.3 with it. I had to use ALOT more trim to get this prop to work. keeping the slip at 15%, this puts the rpm at about 6500.

I am running a 6" set back and at about 2" below. I really need to add my 8" bracket fro a total of 14" of setback. looks like i'll have to wait till next season to gain some MPH.

I'll second that. 16in of set back + big water = 1 destoryed splashwell lip.
Now the good news,thru the winter Kary is going to freshen up my 245 and in the spring I plan to again rebuild the transom but with plenty of steel and tie rods ect.ect. this time. And I'll find a prop and do a all out top speed run.

OR selll the freshened up 245 for apx 4500-5000 and the trailer and hull for 500-1000. Witch ever happens first!

Best I ever could do just spinning a 21p lazor II at 7500 rpms was a solid 75mph ( that was when every thing was new not old, broken and waterlogged):p

I'm thinking that you'll be into the low 70s fairly easily with the 3.0L.

Flights don't have pads, right?

I figured I'd add my findings thus far:

Model: 1991 Starliner
Motor: 1999 200 3.0 Hodge Podge JohnnyRude
Setback: 5.5" CNC Hyd Plate
Engine Height: 2-4" below V (ran the same number either way)
Gear Ratio: 1.86
Prop: 24" Raker 3 blade
RPM: 5700
Top Speed: 62 GPS
Prop Slip: 11%

Hoping to try a 4 blade 25" Trophy next weekend.

John

Model: 1987 Starlflite
Motor: 1994 400+ 4.0 Evinrude
Setback: 8.5" manual Jack Plate
Engine Height: 2" below V
Gear Ratio: 1.86 (V6 lower has less drag)
RPM: 7700+ (lots of slip past 6000)
Top Speed: 74 GPS
Prop Slip: infinite at WOT, it just won't hold the power. It ends up at 19% if I feather it at 7500 RPM

Prop: 29" Allison cut chopper 3 blade
RPM: 6300 (not WOT, I need more seat time before I open it up all the way)
Top Speed: 86.1 GPS
Prop Slip: ~8%

portrear2.jpg

Funny, I was looking at a video of that boat literally 10 seconds ago on You Tube. Very nice!

John

bump from the depths of CM forum!

Anyone drivin a Pulsare and Starflight? I could get my Pulsare up and balanced with a quickness... just curiuos how the true "V" handles comparably?

Looks like 92mph is top-dog right now, awful big shoes to try and fill.

I'd love to find/build a big bada$$ V8 'Rude/Johnson to hang on mine next year!

--What kinda power you got? "A BIG JOHNSON!" :rof::rof::rof::rof::rof:

The padded Pulsare feels lighter and is always going to be a couple of MPH faster than the Starflite with the same power. The Starflite has its good qualities though and and is very smooth in the chop. Because it has a small step in the mid hull it likes to ride a bit flat at cruise. As you trim the motor up you can literally hear the hull break free of the water and then the thing really starts moving. Without enough engine weight, setback or the right prop you can't break it loose. That's why the big V8 hauls the mail. You have to trim the crap out of it with a small block motor.

1989 21' Starflite
1986 XP 150 Rude
Bolted to the transom
21 pitch no name prop
tach broke
one person (250lbs) 3/4 tank, battery, anchor, jackets
53 MPH on GPS :eek:

Model: 1987 Starlflite
Motor: 1994 400+ 4.0 Evinrude
Setback: 8.5" manual Jack Plate
Engine Height: 2" below V
Gear Ratio: 1.86 (V6 lower has less drag)
RPM: 7700+ (lots of slip past 6000)
Top Speed: 74 GPS
Prop Slip: infinite at WOT, it just won't hold the power. It ends up at 19% if I feather it at 7500 RPM

Prop: 29" Allison cut chopper 3 blade
RPM: 6300 (not WOT, I need more seat time before I open it up all the way)
Top Speed: 86.1 GPS
Prop Slip: ~8%

portrear2.jpg
i like!

Back