• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

STL Checkmate Get Together Part II

If my boat is done, I will meet you all. If its not, ill be in my Pontoon, but I stay up by two branch with the pontoon, engine is to small to travel down river then back up. In process of getting bigger engine for it. But hoping the Checkmate is done. :)

Jason

If my boat is done, I will meet you all. If its not, ill be in my Pontoon, but I stay up by two branch with the pontoon, engine is to small to travel down river then back up. In process of getting bigger engine for it. But hoping the Checkmate is done. :)

Jason
If your mate isn't finished, maybe the bunch of us will cruise up and see you in your pontoon. I usually put in a Johns anyway..

BIGSBETTER, do you usually have your checkmate or your other boat?
I saw an open bow Checkmate floating in front of my dock this past weekend right near two branch island, awesome looking boat. Just was wondering if it was someone on here or not.

My river lot is located to the right (down river) as you exit out of Johns, my dock is on old pontoon I converted into dock. My camper is a Springdale and my Pontoon boat is an old 240 Lowe with hardtop on it.

Jason

Were about half and half with the Checkmate and the Searay. I wasn't out last weekend. I've past your lot many times but never paid much attention.....just a wave as usual. I'm sure we've waved at each other but didn't know who we were. Sometimes after partying down on the sandbars and drinking all day, we cruise up to Johns or Two Branch and just shut the engine off and float down a mile or so while we sober up a little. It's relaxing up there with much fewer boats.

You guys aren't afraid of a little rain are ya? I'm always amazed at how many guys won't boat unless it's 80F+ and sunny. Had many a good day on the water when it didn't look good leaving the house.

You guys aren't afraid of a little rain are ya? I'm always amazed at how many guys won't boat unless it's 80F+ and sunny. Had many a good day on the water when it didn't look good leaving the house.
Well..........I'm not afraid of 'scattered thunderstorms' for the day, but I really don't like putting the boat in the water WHILE it's raining and forecasted rain for the whole day. If they're calling for scattered storms, I will be there, if the whole state of Missouri is covered in rain I prolly wont.

Friday Night
nt_chancetstorms
Partly cloudy with thunderstorms, then a chance of a thunderstorm and rain after midnight. Fog overnight. Low of 70F. Winds from the South at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70% with rainfall amounts near 0.9 in. possible.
Saturday
chancetstorms
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain. High of 84F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Saturday Night
nt_fog
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain. Fog overnight. Low of 64F. Winds from the NE at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday
chancetstorms
Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain in the morning, then overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain. High of 82F. Winds from the East at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Rain really never stops me, but since I will have new interior, I might be little cautious about it. All my other boats had bimini's but the checkmate doesn't. I usually look at the radar the morning of boating to decide whether or not to go, but I never really worry about the forecast. I look at it, but don't make my decision to go boating or not from it.

My checkmate runs around 64 with 330hp 454. But got the prop reconditioned couple weeks ago, he said I had no cup on the prop, he turned it into a Mirage Plus. So looking forward to see how much difference it will make.

Jason

Well..........I'm not afraid of 'scattered thunderstorms' for the day, but I really don't like putting the boat in the water WHILE it's raining and forecasted rain for the whole day. If they're calling for scattered storms, I will be there, if the whole state of Missouri is covered in rain I prolly wont.

Don't get me wrong, if they are predicting downpours all day I'm not going out either, but I don't let some scattered thundershowers do me in. I usually check the future hourly weather, then take a look at the radar make my decision. :thumb:

AJ, What's you convincor got in it for power? How fast is it?

Stock 454 mag. Only time I've gps'd it was with my phone and I was about 61.5, water like glass with four people and a cooler, less than 1/2 tank gas. I think that correlated to about 65 on the dream o meter. I've seen over 70mph on the dream o meter in KY chop, just two in the boat, and less than 1/2 tank gas (passing two bajas), but no idea what that correlated to gps wise. So between phone gps and dream o meter it's anybodies guess. :lol:

What I can say is no matter exactly how fast it is, it isn't fast enough.....which is why I've been constantly on the prowl. ;)

How about you?

When i first got the boat about 7 years ago, it had a newer stock 330 horse Gen V 454. It did 55-57 GPS. I ran it like that for about 3 months, then put a small Weiand 177 supercharger on the stock Gen V. After prop expiermenting I gained about 12-14mph.69-70 gps on a good day. Since then i added CMI headers, gained maybe 1mph. Then this year i put in the Mercruiser 525SC cam. The supercharger I have is the same one Mercruiser used on the 525SC. I maybe gained another mph...maybe. It runs low 70's on a GOOD cool day. We could put a 177 supercharger on yours and you would prolly be around 75mph!! I've never had any problems with it...even with the stock cast pistons. I thought it would've blown up by now.

Any suggestions on getting mine into the low 70's? I'm a small block ford guy, so these 454 big blocks are new to me. :)

Plus it looks like the boat wont be done, found some rotten wood on the some of the seat framing, I'm having them replace any damaged wood. So it might be another week. :(

Guess its the pontoon again this weekend, man that thing is slow..... ha ha.

Jason

When i first got the boat about 7 years ago, it had a newer stock 330 horse Gen V 454. It did 55-57 GPS. I ran it like that for about 3 months, then put a small Weiand 177 supercharger on the stock Gen V. After prop expiermenting I gained about 12-14mph.69-70 gps on a good day. Since then i added CMI headers, gained maybe 1mph. Then this year i put in the Mercruiser 525SC cam. The supercharger I have is the same one Mercruiser used on the 525SC. I maybe gained another mph...maybe. It runs low 70's on a GOOD cool day. We could put a 177 supercharger on yours and you would prolly be around 75mph!! I've never had any problems with it...even with the stock cast pistons. I thought it would've blown up by now.

I'm surprised as you regarding your motor considering many say the 330 454 won't stand up to the supercharger.....keep on provin em wrong. ;)

My motor has 640ish hours....not sure throwing a supercharger on at this point is a good idea, unless I did a freshen up. :(

I'm surprised as you regarding your motor considering many say the 330 454 won't stand up to the supercharger.....keep on provin em wrong. ;)

My motor has 640ish hours....not sure throwing a supercharger on at this point is a good idea, unless I did a freshen up. :(
I've ran it hard too, ran 95-100% throttle from Two Branch to to the power lines racing a Formula 272 with twin 6.2. I think it keeps running because I keep the timing at 28 degrees total which is insanely retarded. With the original v-8 mercruiser ignition module, that only left me with 4 degrees of timing at idle. I ran it like that for 6 years, then this year I put on a v-6 module which allows me to have 14 degrees initial and 28 total.

I've ran it hard too, ran 95-100% throttle from Two Branch to to the power lines racing a Formula 272 with twin 6.2. I think it keeps running because I keep the timing at 28 degrees total which is insanely retarded. With the original v-8 mercruiser ignition module, that only left me with 4 degrees of timing at idle. I ran it like that for 6 years, then this year I put on a v-6 module which allows me to have 14 degrees initial and 28 total.

Do you guys have pictures of your engines, I think I would want to do something like that, but I don't think I have the room with engine hatch so close to top of my engine.

Jason

OK, I am supposed to be out Saturday for a friends birthday. We were planning a big raft up near Alton I think. I will try to be around the Grafton marina at 1 pm. I am watching the weather too. If its pouring I aint going.

Will you guys check in here Saturday morning?

Yea...good idea. I will check in sat morning as I'm watching the weather and getting the boat ready. I'm sure others will to. or , we could just ALL OF US wear white t-shirts and LET IT RAIN!:thumb: Know what I mean?

If anyone wants my number pm me. If the weather is looking rough Sat., let's check in here Sat morning by 11am. to make the call on whether to proceed or postpone.

Back