• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Stratos with bad transom

caliburn

Hello all, sorry could not find another Checkmate to redo but found a nice stratos, the transom has delamenated itself from inside and also from itself, however looks as if its not rotted any, my question is has anyone ever took 2 metal plates one for the inside and one for the outside, filled the transom with resin thinned out and poured it in and compressed the transom back together and called it good?

Hello all, sorry could not find another Checkmate to redo but found a nice stratos, the transom has delamenated itself from inside and also from itself, however looks as if its not rotted any, my question is has anyone ever took 2 metal plates one for the inside and one for the outside, filled the transom with resin thinned out and poured it in and compressed the transom back together and called it good?

That doesn't sound safe in my humble opinion. I would be worried that if you hit something you could loose the motor and transom. Go over to BBC www.bassboatcentral.com those guys do restorations on bassboats.

thanks guys, yes gave it a real look over today and I will be replacing the transom, what a job that will be, thank you so much for your help it is valued alot. I will check out that thread.

thanks guys, yes gave it a real look over today and I will be replacing the transom, what a job that will be, thank you so much for your help it is valued alot. I will check out that thread.

That's a good call!!!:thumb: Hate for something to happen on the water with a repair like that.:shakehead:

From what I saw behind the Stratos factory, I'm not even sure that Stratos fixes Stratoses(sp). Row after row of scrap and junk boats.

I made a big mistake and bought a Stratos 201 Ski when they first came out back in 1990. Nice boat for awhile. None of the wood was treated, cheap vinyl, terrible wiring, water poured in at the hull/deck connection at sking speeds and the gel faded bad. But it was fast! Sold a Checkmate to buy it and replaced it with a Checkmate. Lesson learned.

From what I saw behind the Stratos factory, I'm not even sure that Stratos fixes Stratoses(sp). Row after row of scrap and junk boats.

wow, if they have newer ones and dont want them because of a bad transom, I will take all they have./

After I get done with this one she will be water tight, new carpet and I will redo the vinal. at least the outside condition is good, needs a good buff, a few dings but other then not to bad of shape, with a 200 Evenrude that has good even compression and a real super nice trailer, I paid $1700 for it all, the motor was wourth that I think>oh and from what I can see I can understand why they have so many problems with transoms, there is nothing to them, not compaired to a beefy bullet proof Checkmate transom I will see if I cant beef it up some so this Stratos never has a transom problem ever again.
Became a member of that Forum, still waiting for a responce, Can someone please tell me should I go with Epoxy resin and how many gallons, I dont mind extra? and what to use for filling in the voids around the transom seems? will bondoglass work for that ?

Last edited:
No it does not whatever Boat that is looks like an enginering transom nightmare, My Stratos is a 1989 289 FS, any ideas on how many gallons of epoxy resin I will need?

its been 2 days over at that other forum and still no help.

thanks, going to go with 3 gallons then, as I probobly will need it for some of the decking is rotted, what do you use to fill voids in the transom around the seems will bondoglass work for this?

Back