• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Tempest Prop

INXS

Are these props the best all round props for my Starflite/225 Johnson. And do they come, or can they be sent out to be, labbed?

Thanks

INXS

INXS/88 Starflite/225 Johnson

Are these props the best all round props for my Starflite/225 Johnson. And do they come, or can they be sent out to be, labbed?

Thanks

INXS

It depends on what your priorities are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Webmaster
Checkmate-Boats.com-The Fanatics Home!

Chris, I'm looking for good top speed yet the ability to pull a skier. I plan on installing a hydraulic jack plate and to put on better heads, reeds, and change the carb porting. I've heard this can give me about 13 extra HP without putting to much into the motor. Would you rec. a 24" Tempest for this set-up?

Thanks Again,

INXS

A tempest is a grat bow lift prop, you will have to get a flo-torque hub and get the insert for a OMC. Also what is your current pitch and what rpm are you running?

GusAvatar2.jpg

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+ / Sky jacker 6" plate / 25p Laser 2 prop

It's a nicked slightly nicked-up org. 22" OMC. The tack doesn,t work (bad connection). Org. owner said it turned 6K (66-68 mph speedometer) and about 71 mph with a 24", not sure the rpm. He said the 24" wasn't good for pulling up a skier so he switched to the 22". That's way I need to know if tempest, either labbed or stocked, with the jack and HP increase will fit my needs?

Thanks Again,

INXS

PS, it's 80+ deg. in New jersey today. I'm getting out crusing and fishing after work.

My first reaction will be yes it will work. But I would hold off buying a prop, wait untill all the mods are done and the jackplate is inplace and set. Also get the tach working to find out what the rpm is. The reason for this, if after all the mods and the raised engine hight you may find that 24p is not enough. Props are like gold, best to buy only one.

GusAvatar2.jpg

When you say not enough do you mean I might need to go to a 23", or 25". I presume you mean the 23".

Thanks again,

INXS

Not enough meaning you may have to go to a 26 pitch. With the added HP and running height a 24p may allow the engine to turn to many RPM.

GusAvatar2.jpg

Thanks for the great advice. I see what you mean about trying out a prop after the mods are finished.

INXS

inxs,

i dony know this helps, but i owend a 21 starflite with a 225 efi mercury 1999, with a 5" cmc powerlift, with a 23 tempest i turn too mutch rpm's and hit the limitter @ 6250 than i bought a 25 tempest plus, the hole schot was still very good, i had 5 people and plane still fast, i thint the 26 would bee too mutchy for that HP

Sake From HOLLAND

Back