• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The Ideal Starflite Prop!

You could try asking that question on scream'n'fly where lots of guys still run that motor. The oil injection is mechanical not electronic so I am not sure what buzzer you are talking about. There is a little gear pump that feeds the oil and is increased with throttle advance. Mine worked fine so I never touched it.

To be honest I am not a Merc fanboy and do not love their EFI or DFI motors. Too many electrical component failures. You are always chasing gremlins. As soon as I got mine running perfectly, I sold it. The reason they are popular is they are light weight and will almost always outrun the others... when they are running! ;)

Best motors ever made IMHO are Yamaha carbed 2-strokes. Bullet-proof motors where nothing ever fails. Super simple. Their 4 strokes are very well built as well.

Hope you get the old girl running and have some fun.

The test beep in regards to the oil injection warning system alongside the overheat alarm. The buzzer or bell or warning beep” is what im lacking currently
Got my water gauge up and running and the motor is running great actually
Perfect water pressure throughout the rom range, good temp and very responsive
Went out yesterday with a premix of 60:1 (alongisde my oil injection) new plugs and she didnt flinch
So shes running, but i want her to keep running

So the question is now, do i bypass the on board oil injection, and go straight premix and never question it, or attempt to diagnose the OIS (oil injection system) and get the warning system and buzzer working correctly

Everyone at scream and fly is way to aggressive. Id prefer to keep the system if i can get it back to working order. Everyone on SnF say, rip it out blah blah

Your correct about the yam’s. Very much so. I once looked at a rich supthen jr 18’ with a 150 yam, i almost bought it just for the motor. Too bad the boat was a custom and fit for a small adult. Ha I couldnt see over my knees.

On BBC forum theres a guy Don, with european marine who seems to be a big player on that forum.

Ok, I get what you are asking. Good possibility it is the buzzer wire. Is there oil in the on-board tank? That's all that sensor reads. I would try to track it down and get it working. I personally like oil injection. And yes, those guys on SnF are goofs but they do know a lot about those motors.

The other site that is good is iboats merc forums. There are some seasoned guys there that will answer your questions. I have got a lot of help over the years from some of them.

Good luck.

Ok, I get what you are asking. Good possibility it is the buzzer wire. Is there oil in the on-board tank? That's all that sensor reads. I would try to track it down and get it working. I personally like oil injection. And yes, those guys on SnF are goofs but they do know a lot about those motors.

The other site that is good is iboats merc forums. There are some seasoned guys there that will answer your questions. I have got a lot of help over the years from some of them.

Good luck.

Oil is topped off on motor tank port side and the on-board tank. The system itself isnt my issue, its delivering oil as it should, the issue is the warning system. Im leaning towards the control module being bad, just based on what people have said, although, the fact that there is no buzzer installed at all to sound off could be just that. No buzzer no warning.

See the problems come in becuase my setup is not factory per say. Its all rewired, mercury controls, but besides the harness its not so “textbook” and this being my first boat, its hard to judge if and what im looking at not having something to compare. I will say the wiring is impressive based off what people have said. Nicely done, and one other thing to consider, the boat was wired up for a 2018 250 pro xs so i sense the newer motors have diff wiring then these old 95 mercs

Im all over iboats searching.

For now i will continue to premix alongside the injection for safety

Tonight is prop test night. With my h2o temp gauge installed, im jackin this prop to the moon see what i can get out of it. Then i gotta decide if im goin to swap props and pitch down
I purchased the trO4 from propmd.com. They have a pitch program where as long as you stay with the same manufacturer, they will swap your prop for a diff pitch, just pay shipping. Cant beat that.

Currently at 5500 rpm pushin 62/63 mph GPS.
Hoping for a light breeze just for some traction as the boat seems to run better with alittle hair on the water. Ha.

Thanks mark for your feedback.

Water pressure is all that matters. If you have good WP you will always have good temps. 15 PSI is the minimum according to Merc.
Yes, you have started to get get air mixed with water and hence your pressure is dropping a little. Some guys plug the top holes, but IMHO that is the wrong way the go. I would add the water scoops and your WP will jump right back to 30PSI. Then you can keep raising the motor and you will keep going faster. Your sweet spot with that prop will be somewhere 1 and 3 inches propshaft below lowest part of your bottom V pad. Mine always ran at 30PSI with the scoops. They are terrific.
The 23P sounds like a good fit for you, and you have more mph to go. You should also be noticing how well it corners and that the prop will just not let go and ventilate.

Mark. So i did another test night and jacked the motor up and trimmed out the prop
From what i experienced my rpms stayed in a similiar range round 55/5600 and mph varied 61-63
What i also noticed is that at that height of the prop drivin skills really come into practice
Having little motor/prop in the water the tail end wants to kick out on small chop. Again first timer behind the wheel at these speeds

Givin my rpms, i dont think theres much left to gain on top end and between me and you not sure what the benefit is. 63 and unstable vs 59 and stable (with a 21’) seems a better route

If i pitch down to a 21 tro4 my rpms will increase to 5800 and im assuming my mph will drop a bit?

Reading how guys run a 24 or 25 pitch, there holeshot cant be that good?
Im not able to get the 23’ above 5600 rpm without tons of height

Guess my motor is alittle tired? Or possibly my tps is a touch out?

Can you give me your opinion on the 21’ vs 23’?

Thanks

If you can get your hands on a Bravo I FS, I'll think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Those props love to be run high and should be a very easy prop to drive at speed. I've seen 74.8 gps on my Starliner with a 26P Bravo 1 FS. Another good prop for you might be the Bravo I LT (Long tube) really provides a lot of stern lift while also carrying the bow high.

If you can get your hands on a Bravo I FS, I'll think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Those props love to be run high and should be a very easy prop to drive at speed. I've seen 74.8 gps on my Starliner with a 26P Bravo 1 FS. Another good prop for you might be the Bravo I LT (Long tube) really provides a lot of stern lift while also carrying the bow high.

The TR04 is actually solid as can be. Prop is excellent. Throughout

My comments on drivability were not geared towards the prop rather my own abilities. I was easily able to handle the boat at speeds, i was only commenting on the characteristics (probabaly of any prop) when you trim it that high. My seat time is under 20 hours, so just looking at pro’s con’s to potentially pitch down
All easy answers, but i prefer experienced answers
Thanks for the recommendation.

Mark. So i did another test night and jacked the motor up and trimmed out the prop
From what i experienced my rpms stayed in a similiar range round 55/5600 and mph varied 61-63
What i also noticed is that at that height of the prop drivin skills really come into practice
Having little motor/prop in the water the tail end wants to kick out on small chop. Again first timer behind the wheel at these speeds

Givin my rpms, i dont think theres much left to gain on top end and between me and you not sure what the benefit is. 63 and unstable vs 59 and stable (with a 21’) seems a better route

If i pitch down to a 21 tro4 my rpms will increase to 5800 and im assuming my mph will drop a bit?

Reading how guys run a 24 or 25 pitch, there holeshot cant be that good?
Im not able to get the 23’ above 5600 rpm without tons of height

Guess my motor is alittle tired? Or possibly my tps is a touch out?

Can you give me your opinion on the 21’ vs 23’?

Thanks
I think you are about right with that motor and prop. If you pitch down to 21 you will see 5800-5900 and maybe see around 60 mph. It would be a good choice if you want great holeshot and don't want to bother with jacking and trimming way up. You could also split the difference and get a 22p.

The Bravo 1 is a great prop but not for that motor. The diameter t 15 1/4 is too large for that motor. The TRO4 at 13 3/4 is great for small block V6.

Back