• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

The old Checkmate Factory

SCT

I recently passed thru Bucyrus, Ohio and took some pictures of the old Checkmate factory where the vast majority of our boats were built. The factory was active from 1963 to the mid 20-teens when production was moved to NC. Since the move, the complex has been used as a warehouse and even temporarily housed the local offices of the Ohio State Patrol while they built a new building next door.

Pix #1- The front office and parking lot. This was the original building on the property and housed the Great Lakes Marina (the predecessor to Checkmate Boats).

Pix #2- You can still see the outline of the Checkmate sign on the front of the building.

Pix #3- The ’front’ production shop entrance. The door on the right side was shipping and receiving department.

Attachments

• IMG_0857.jpeg
    IMG_0857.jpeg
    727.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0862.jpeg
    IMG_0862.jpeg
    723.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0859.jpeg
    IMG_0859.jpeg
    759.1 KB · Views: 22
Pix #4- North of the complex looking south. The building left in the foreground is the ‘Prototype’ department. The large building on the right stored completed boats until delivery. The main ’back’ assembly shop is in the background.

Pix #5- The south side of the factory looking east. The foreground of the pix was the ‘lamination’ area. The mid area w- the 3 vents was the main ‘spray’ booth. The large door in the background was the maintenance shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0856.jpeg
    IMG_0856.jpeg
    975.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0860.jpeg
    IMG_0860.jpeg
    911 KB · Views: 13
Pix #6- Close up of storage building.
Pix #7- Prototype building.
Pix #8- North side of main assembly building.

Attachments

• IMG_0863.jpeg
    IMG_0863.jpeg
    957.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0865.jpeg
    IMG_0865.jpeg
    973.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0864.jpeg
    IMG_0864.jpeg
    896 KB · Views: 7
This building housed the ‘Offshore’ production from the mid 80s to early 2000s. Models from the 229 Maxxum to the 330 Convincer were built in this factory located on the north side of Bucyrus. This complex is now an auto repair shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0868.jpeg
    IMG_0868.jpeg
    660.8 KB · Views: 11
I even drove by what‘s left of the ‘other’ boat company that was in Bucyrus.

Attachments

• IMG_3297.jpeg
    IMG_3297.jpeg
    452.3 KB · Views: 18
That's awesome for her and your families. I'd like to have that boat were I'm at now. Mine was a parts donor and scraped. Never growing up lol

Last edited:
I can deliver it to you. It rarely get used and she doesn’t have time for it anymore. PM if you would be interested.

Back