• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Time for a motor ...

Jamey

Hello fellow Checkmate fanatics! It's been a while since I've been out here, but mainly because my 1980 Entertainer restoration went so well I've just spent the time enjoying it! Unfortunately, the engine I put in it in 1996 started knocking, and I'm pretty sure it is a rod bearing. Not a bad run for a Jasper 350 ... Never the less, I've either got to have it rebuilt or replaced. I've been quoted $2,000 for a rebuild. Any thoughts?

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/vortec-marine-engine-1996current-p-68.html

I had good luck with these guys if you want stock, the engines are done and ready to go, just put on your intake and mercruiser stuff. Not a bad price either. 1 yr warranty if I remember right

I'm gonna keep that in mind as well!! Price is not bad at all, and they are putting out considerably more HP than the old stock 350/260hp, that's exactly what i'm gonna be looking for eventually. Like they say in the add, 295-330hp depending on intake, carb, and exhaust, so throw on an Eddy intake and set of Stainless Marine exhaust manifolds and you should be close to that 330hp mark easy AND still be under $3500 bucks when all is said and done...sweet!!

That really is a good deal ... I'm selling my Ranger bass boat to pay for it, so a lot will depend on what I get for it.

If the dude shows up with cash tomorrow, the Ranger is sold. Talked to a mechanic today who quoted me $3k to get me a crate 350, install it, put in a new water pump and check all the seals in the out drive. I'd love to monkey with it and get some more horsepower/speed, but she's a 1980 ... It would be my luck if I did that I'd blow out the out drive. I'm going to stay stock and spend a little more on extras to really clean it up. Can't wait to get her back on the water, it's been a long summer without her!

Best of luck on the sale of the Ranger and the engine rebuild/replacement. Keep us posted on the progress. Jim:thumb:

Jasper Marine Engine

I decided to go with a Jasper marine engine ... It has a better warranty and is only $800 more. Given that I put the current Jasper engine in this boat 18 years ago, I have to say I have confidence in their motors!

I decided to go with a Jasper marine engine ... It has a better warranty and is only $800 more. Given that I put the current Jasper engine in this boat 18 years ago, I have to say I have confidence in their motors!

How much boating do you get in during the fall and winter months? If the Jasper comes with standard 18 month warranty, holding off the engine install till early spring would get you the most out of your warranty (2 summer boating seasons)...that's usually what we suggest to people around here, but our boating seasons are short. Just a thought

War Eagle

That is a good thought, but this is Alabama ... I'll be on the water through October at a minimum. I love cruising around and stopping to listen to my Auburn Tigers play while I'm on the lake. It's my favorite time of year to be on the lake!

That is a good thought, but this is Alabama ... I'll be on the water through October at a minimum. I love cruising around and stopping to listen to my Auburn Tigers play while I'm on the lake. It's my favorite time of year to be on the lake!
Oh there you go, rubbing it in for all us Northerners. Good luck and enjoy. Jim:thumb:

Well don't I feel silly ...

Turns out my engine did NOT have a bad rod bearing, it had a blown exhaust manifold gasket! Woo hoo!! Thanks to a very honest boat mechanic in Billy Lewis near Guntersville, Alabama, I just saved a few grand!!

Funny you should ask ... I'm back in the market for a teak swim platform and a ski pole to add this winter!

By the way ... I feel like a total idiot for not recognizing a blown exhaust gasket ... Rod bearing vs exhaust gasket = a big friggin difference! :brickwall:

Back