• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Too big?

I have an 86 starliner in great shape. It currently has a 175 Johnson on it and I am not sure if it runs. My question is this...I have found a Johnson 20"mid V-8 that weighs about 500#. Is this too much motor? My plate says 250 hp max, my current motor weighs about 400#. Or should I look for something a little smaller?

I have an 86 starliner in great shape. It currently has a 175 Johnson on it and I am not sure if it runs. My question is this...I have found a Johnson 20"mid V-8 that weighs about 500#. Is this too much motor? My plate says 250 hp max, my current motor weighs about 400#. Or should I look for something a little smaller?

The weight is NO PROBLEM, provided your transom is still strong/dry. What setback are you using?

Forums4.jpg

Checkmates owned: 1995 Pulsare 2100BR/1995 Mercury Promax 225 2.5 EFI. 1995 Persuader 183/4.3 LX V6. 1992 Pulse 171/1992 Mercury XR6 150 hp 2.5 liter.

That V8 would be right at home on that boat...They made a 275HP edition, and the 300HP "GT". If I am correct, all the 20" midstection motors were 300's. You do have several things of good points the other members covered (insurance, BIA certification plate, transom condition, etc.) I had an early 80's Checkmate enchanter "XS" that had that monster Merc 300 V6 (it was heavy torque beast that a 225 pro-max would kick the snot out of)...anyway, the point is that it was a HEAVY motor on a similar hull. I don't know if Checkmate added bracing to the transom addition glass???? It had a rating plate for 300HP so I had no questions about it.

My suggestion is that if the V8 is a great deal, buy it and try it. I would take off and extrenal V8 & horsepower lables just to reduce the chance of head aches. If you do get stopped, play stupid and pay the fine (if they actually check the Vin # to prove the HP rating). Chances are it will never happen, and you boat would be a screamer compared to that old motor!!! Good luck, Jim.
thumb.gif

Also, a trick you can also do to shave off about 50+ lbs of dead weight on that V8 is remove the power steering set-up AND I would remove your factory cable steering set-up and go to a Teleflex Sea-Star hyd. system (it costs less $1000...overton's last summer was $899)...Great steering; no effort, no torque transfer, very positive, and safe for performance apps.!!! Jim.
xxrotflmao.gif

Back