• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Trade my Pulsare for a 280??

JUPITER PULSARE

So I have a guy who approached me, wanting to get back into outboards, that wants to trade me his 2001 ZT 280/496 HO for my 2007 Pulsare 2400 Bowrider/2012 Verado 300 Pro...What do you guys think? I've always enjoyed the bigger boats and my original high performance boating world (working for Active Thunder, running a Fountain dealership, owning Velocitys, etc) consisted of nothing but I/O powerplants. I kind of miss the rumble of a Big Block V8!

You change boats like I change underwear. Nothing wrong with that just the way it is.

If the value is equivalent and you want a big block boat again why not? 2-3 years from now you will be looking for a 2400BRX with a 400 or 450 out back but till then, go for it.

If you want to be reminded of the pros and cons, I/O boats are way more work to look after. Probably going to be a little slower too.

P.S. If you don't do it, we all know your next move is going to be looking for a 350 or 400 for the 2400br.
Good luck with the choices.

So I have a guy who approached me, wanting to get back into outboards, that wants to trade me his 2001 ZT 280/496 HO for my 2007 Pulsare 2400 Bowrider/2012 Verado 300 Pro...What do you guys think? I've always enjoyed the bigger boats and my original high performance boating world (working for Active Thunder, running a Fountain dealership, owning Velocitys, etc) consisted of nothing but I/O powerplants. I kind of miss the rumble of a Big Block V8!

If that is what you really want go for it. I would think the 280 is large enough you can at least do the maintenance and get to everything and be able to winterize if required. I owned at least 3 outboards and then owned stern drives through ages 34 -65. Sold my last 23 ft 496 Mag and just bought a 2400 long deck with a 300R. I am tired (and hurt at my age) trying to access everything in the bilge to do maintenance. New outboards finally have decent fuel mileage, low maintenance, easy to service, and no winterizing. However at your age the stern drive and big block sounds and torque might sound very enticing. I do like larger boats myself but would prefer outboards at this stage, just like you might prefer stern drives at this stage.

You change boats like I change underwear. Nothing wrong with that just the way it is.

If the value is equivalent and you want a big block boat again why not? 2-3 years from now you will be looking for a 2400BRX with a 400 or 450 out back but till then, go for it.

If you want to be reminded of the pros and cons, I/O boats are way more work to look after. Probably going to be a little slower too.

P.S. If you don't do it, we all know your next move is going to be looking for a 350 or 400 for the 2400br.
Good luck with the choices.

Or...I can ditch the 496, bolt on a floatation bracket, hang a couple of Verado 350's and let her eat!!! :banana:

I would rather have the 2400 personally. Plus, yours is worth quite a bit more than his. I bet it's difficult to sell that 280 these days.

Why not get a Mercury 300 V8 outboard upgrade on your 24? You get the V8 sound, better performance. Happy medium.

I would rather have the 2400 personally. Plus, yours is worth quite a bit more than his. I bet it's difficult to sell that 280 these days.

Why not get a Mercury 300 V8 outboard upgrade on your 24? You get the V8 sound, better performance. Happy medium.

I have a new 2400 Pulsare with a 300R. It would not be worth the money to upgrade a 300 Verado to a 300R from a performance viewpoint. Maybe a 400R, at least you will run close to 80 mph then.

I have a new 2400 Pulsare with a 300R. It would not be worth the money to upgrade a 300 Verado to a 300R from a performance viewpoint. Maybe a 400R, at least you will run close to 80 mph then.

It would to me, monetarily maybe not. The regular Verado is heavy and the mounts are a little sloppy. The 300 R is better in every way. The 400 R doesn't seem to perform well on that hull, I'd take the 300R over it on that boat as well.

It would to me, monetarily maybe not. The regular Verado is heavy and the mounts are a little sloppy. The 300 R is better in every way. The 400 R doesn't seem to perform well on that hull, I'd take the 300R over it on that boat as well.

The new Verado is also a V8 with the AMS and it is much quieter than the 300R. What I meant is if you already had the Supercharged 300 Verado on the boat, I would not upgrade it with a 300R unless I had to buy a new engine. If I had to buy a new engine, I personally would buy the 400R now that I own a 300R. The 300R has some nice features but I doubt it is any faster than the 300XS 2 stroke (at least from my experience). The people that put the 400R on the boat are going around 10 mph faster than the 300R or the two stroke 300.

Boat is covered up in the lift, nasty weather as well. I might have one of it sitting on the floor at Checkmate that I can post later.

Not sure if this is why but on the bottom right where it gives rules like I can post replies, etc. it also says you may not post attachments. I cannot make the "browse" show up to select something from my computer.

Boat is covered up in the lift, nasty weather as well. I might have one of it sitting on the floor at Checkmate that I can post later.

Not sure if this is why but on the bottom right where it gives rules like I can post replies, etc. it also says you may not post attachments. I cannot make the "browse" show up to select something from my computer.

The guy that wants to trade me doesn't want to drive all the way to Florida. Being that he approached me to trade, I really have no interest in driving half way to meet him. I've been very happy with my Pulsare 2400 Bowrider.

The only smart choice to make if upgrading from the Verado 300 Pro would either be a Verado 400, Verado 400Rs or the new 450R. Any one of those powerplants is a significant amount of money. I'm currently running on the low end 67mph GPS and the best I've seen is 72MPH GPS with an Atlas 8" hyd. jackplate and a Bravo One 24. I think I could eek out a couple more mph with a prop change...

The guy that wants to trade me doesn't want to drive all the way to Florida. Being that he approached me to trade, I really have no interest in driving half way to meet him. I've been very happy with my Pulsare 2400 Bowrider.

The only smart choice to make if upgrading from the Verado 300 Pro would either be a Verado 400, Verado 400Rs or the new 450R. Any one of those powerplants is a significant amount of money. I'm currently running on the low end 67mph GPS and the best I've seen is 72MPH GPS with an Atlas 8" hyd. jackplate and a Bravo One 24. I think I could eek out a couple more mph with a prop change...

I feel the same about it as you do. There is a Mercury engineer that apparently has a 450R on a 2400 but no reports I could find on performance. I have an Atlas with 10" setback (you have 8" plus another 5" from the Verado so 13") and a Bravo FS 24P. So far 72 mph at 6200 rpm. There might be a bit left in it but I have tried 5 props. That was my wife and me and close to 3/4 tank but good cool air (67*F).

I feel the same about it as you do. No use to spend 30K on a 300R which performs similar to what you have with a bit better fuel mileage. Might as well spend another 6 - 7K and go with a 400R and 10 mph more speed. There is a Mercury engineer that apparently has a 450R on a 2400 but no reports I could find on performance. I have an Atlas hydraulic with 10" setback (you have 8" plus another 5" from the Verado so 13") and a Bravo FS 24P. So far 72 mph at 6200 rpm. There might be a bit more left in it but I have tried 5 props. That was my wife and me and close to 3/4 tank but good cool air (67*F).

I bought my boat with the same motor Jup has with a 6” atlas jp, and then traded up to the 400R with the sportmaster. The boats handling and ride improved so much! I get little to no chine walk at max trim and the increased torque has allowed the boat to power thru much larger chop, comfortably. The only issue people have with the handling on this hull is when the motor gets set too far back. Since there is a very small vpad, overdoing the setback with the verados does affect the cg in a negative way.

I bought my boat with the same motor Jup has with a 6” atlas jp, and then traded up to the 400R with the sportmaster. The boats handling and ride improved so much! I get little to no chine walk at max trim and the increased torque has allowed the boat to power thru much larger chop, comfortably. The only issue people have with the handling on this hull is when the motor gets set too far back. Since there is a very small vpad, overdoing the setback with the verados does affect the cg in a negative way.

The 400R makes the boat fast enough that you can use the Sportsmaster housing and it won't slow you down like it would on a slower boat with 300 HP. Then you can jack the Speedmaster up so it is even with the hull and that should really help the chine walking and handling, which you confirmed and I experienced on other hulls. You can't raise the torque master that high without losing water pressure. I wish I would have bought the 400R as well, plus it is much quieter than the 300R. I believed that the 300R might only be 3 or 4 miles slower than the 400R but that was wishful thinking.

Reactions: jjg
The 400R makes the boat fast enough that you can use the Sportsmaster housing and it won't slow you down like it would on a slower boat with 300 HP. Then you can jack the Speedmaster up so it is even with the hull and that should really help the chine walking and handling, which you confirmed and I experienced on other hulls. You can't raise the torque master that high without losing water pressure. I wish I would have bought the 400R as well, plus it is much quieter than the 300R. I believed that the 300R might only be 3 or 4 miles slower than the 400R but that was wishful thinking.

I have the top 5 holes tapped and plugged on my Torque Master gearcase to help retain water pressure and allow running the motor higher. I believe the Bravo One FS series prop to be superior to the old Bravo One 24 non vented prop that I'm running. I would love to try a Bravo One FS 24 or maybe a Trophy Plus 26 on my Bowrider. I'm also sure the bowrider slow the boat down a couple mph due to the wind turbulence coming through the boat...

I have the top 5 holes tapped and plugged on my Torque Master gearcase to help retain water pressure and allow running the motor higher. I believe the Bravo One FS series prop to be superior to the old Bravo One 24 non vented prop that I'm running. I would love to try a Bravo One FS 24 or maybe a Trophy Plus 26 on my Bowrider. I'm also sure the bowrider slow the boat down a couple mph due to the wind turbulence coming through the boat...

Don't waste your time with small diameter props like the trophy, the Verado has too much torque for props of that type and just wont lift this hull well, and ride quality will suffer. The FS is a great prop for these hulls due to the shorter tube limiting stern lift. I have an extra 24 FS that I was thinking of swapping out to a 23.5 for those extra loads of beer & gear days:cool: . Give me a shout if your interested.

Back