• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Tri-mate 2 over haul.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Gus has decided it's time to restore his mate. He has sent me some pics as he is progressing..here are the first few. I'll let him tell you the stories about all the cuts and bruises not to mention the tools he throws.

Gus30.jpg

I bought this boat in June of this year. Learned a few lessons alone the way.
The boat came with a 1978 1750 merc. 2.0L. Before I learned that ya need to do a compression test on an outboard prior to buying the darn thing.
Anyway the 175 was running but had a miss. A little troubleshooting and I found a leaking head gasket on one side and a burt piston on the other. Took the engine to a builder and found out that he could rebuild the 175 but would not stand behind it. The eary motors had some trouoble. Option 2 was he would build a 2.4 200hp for a little more money. The new powerhead was built and along the way he also installed soild mount's, removed the can and drystacked the exhaust, installed a set of mod VP carbs, and the light weight plactic cowl, as the 3 peice would not fit.

The boat had not been used for about 2 years, it was stored indoors, (a nice dry place). The prior owner had the interior redone and the boat painted about 5 years ago. I thumped and jumped and tryed to move the transom. No luck, the boat was solid (so I thought).
After running the boat all summer, I was starting to get movement in the transom, and soft spots in the floor. I pulled the carpet up and found the interior floor was redone with partical board. Now a wet mush. Had water comming in through the transom.
So as you can see the restoration has started.
Currently all the rotted wood is removed, The hull has been split and the deck slid forward so I can work on the transom.
Will be adding new stringers and support knees to the new transom. All interior parts will get new backings. Target completion date is mid april.

1975 Checkmate Tri-mate 2, 2.4 200+

Hey... :p
You're doing it all on your own now!!

Damn, I think I'm now out of work?! :eek:

Good Work!!

Well, I guess this means I won't get any more sneak previews. I'll just have to wait patiently like everyone else. ;)

Well the work continues on the old mate. Santa brought a Roto zip. Wish I would have had that sooner. I have been working on the transom. Ground down what was left of the inner skin and roughed up about 6" past. Still a little shaping left but not much. Going to be installing a 3" thick transom (factory was 1.5") Going to run it streight across eliminating the dip that was there. This should help keep the water out and allow me to raise the mounting loacation up about 2". Then I will be reinstalling the top deck.
Its funny, no matter how well you cover up, there are still places that itch.

Gus,
Tips to avoid the itch... (no comments from the peanut gallery please) Women's pant hose work great to get glass off of you. When I used to build Unlimited Hydros, I would work in shorts and t-shirts and would be covered in fiberglass, then would hit an ice cold shower to get the glass off, I hated that, then a glass person from another team told me about the panty hose trick, at first I thought he was kidding, but the hose has just the right texture to wisk away dust and all from the skin. It is a miracle worker as far as I am concerned!. I never got over the embarrassment of going to the store and buying 15-20 pair of panty hose.

Bill, What a life saver. I don't care if I had to wear them. I will try this.

rooster_3.jpg

Here is the 1st piece cut for the transom. There will be 2 more just like it. The cheep labor is doing the holding, he works for food

Gus12.jpg

Here is a test fit of all 3 together. There will be mat and biaxle inbetween each part.
Should be strong enough for what I need it to do. Its 2x as thick as the factory.

Gus13.jpg

Back