• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

We Lost a Member today--Robert Nelems AKA Magic Float

Viper 1

I was Sad to hear that my Good Friend Robert Nelems from Nelems Marine :eek:Died this morning from Cancer. Robert will be Missed by Many. He was a Really nice person and he did much for the Marine Industry.

Robert you will Always be Remembered for the Great Man you were.

Sincerely Sammie from Action Marine

Didn't know him, but it sounds like if you were buying a Formula he was the guy you wanted to purchase from.

Very Sorry To Hear of This Mans Death

Al tough I never met this Gentlemen I believe he also was a Checkmate Dealer. Sorry to learn of learn of his Death. Please sent my Prayers and Condolences to his Family.

Sammie_ could not care less what his boat affiliation was.
If you loved him and mourn his loss I do as well.
All my best regards to him and his family.
Sorry to hear of this.
In my prayers tonight.

Thank You Sim

Dear Sim I want to Thank you so much for the kind words. Yes I do Feel Bad that Robert Nelems Died, as I would for anybody else here on this Checkmate Forum. I thought since Robert Nelems was a Checkmate Member on this Forum that the Checkmate Members here should know. On another Hi-Performance Forum like yourself Sim, the members of that forum did not know Robert Nelems personally or had any bought a boat from him, but Many Members did say some Kind Words as you have Sim, Because he was a member of that forum and one of them Died.

Robert Nelems gave Chris 24 pictures to share with all of you in the picture gallery on this Checkmate Forum of His Involvement with Checkmate Boats.

Robert Nelems has been a member on this forum since 8-26-2004 and had been a Supporting Member here.

A little History
Robert Nelems from Nelem’s Marine in AL. , Marty O Neal from O Neal’s Boart Yard in NY. and My Action Marine were a Big Part of Checkmate’s Success and History. The three of us bought 2/3 of Checkmates production every year out of Checkmates 350 plus Checkmate Dealers and all three of us Loved and Raced Checkmate Boats.

One could say the three of us were Old School when it came to how we ran our Marine Business and how we took care of our Customers. It was more than just about making money to the three of us, We Loved Checkmate and our Customers.

Thank you again Sim for your Kind Words and your Friendship. Sincerely Sammie from Action Marine

Magicfloat
[SIZE=+0]Wannabe[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]
[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Join Date: Aug 2004[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Location: Jasper,AL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Age: 71[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Posts: 18 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Thanks: 0[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Thanked 17 Times in 5 Posts [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Rep Power: 0 [/SIZE]
reputation_green.gif

icon1.gif

[SIZE=+0]Here is a Sammie story from the old days that tells you what kind of guy he is.I'm sure he won't mind me telling it.I became a Checkmate dealer in 1969,and even tho I never met Sammie,Bill Combs told me Sammie was the go to guy for Checkmate help.Back then we sold mostly V-141's and later MX-15's with Merc 1250 short shaft motors.Around 1973 or 1974 Mercury had a big shortage of those models in the Atlanta distribution center where I bought my Mercs.At that time there were distribution centers for different parts of the country and Sammie bought from another center,maybe Ft Wayne or Detroit(don't remember,it's been 40 years)I called Bill Combs for help,he said call Sammie.I called,told him who I was( he didnt know me) and asked if he could get me 25 Merc 1250 short shaft motors. He said sure,he had some pull with the distribution center and I shortly got the 25 motors I needed.Sammie helped me out 40 years ago,don't know if I ever thanked him,if not,Thanks,Sammie,I value your friendship 40 years later. Robert Nelems,Nelems Marine,Jasper,Alabama [/SIZE]

Attachments

• 10401383_647335355356064_2388357381710532588_n.jpg
    10401383_647335355356064_2388357381710532588_n.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 19
I remeber that story, not sure if its from that post or one that you made. Very cool you were able to make that happen.

Prayers and condolences to his family and friends.

So sorry to hear about Mr. Nelems Sammie. Thoughts and prayers to you and his family in these tough times. You guys really inspired thousands of people with your superior knowledge and customer care. Thanks to all you and Mr. Nelems have contributed to the enthusiast and others. Jeff

I know I have not been around here very long, but I want to offer my condolences for your loss. Cancer has touched many lives, including my family. My best wishes go out to the family during this difficult time.

Back