• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

What boat did I see?

Mark

I was out fishing and an interesting boat came by. As it approached I thought it was a Baja Outlaw. When it went by though it was an outboard. And was lower profile than an Outlaw. Looked about 23-24' long. Had a fairing instead of windshield. Looked like an open bow in that it had a cover. Swooped at back like the 250 Baja CC but was not centre console. Trolling motor on front and a Merc 300x on back. I saw the word Commander and then a number like 23 or 24 on the side. What did I see?

Sounds like a Commander Boat. they make a cool looking Cat as well as a deep V style hull. Look em up on line and I believe there is a bikini section, not that I noticed...

I wondered that but I don't think they make outboards. This was not an I/O conversion.

I believe they make outboard models as well as inboard. I think they advertise that they will work with the purchaser on custom stuff too. The boat you saw may have been a 2300 LX outboard.

I believe they make outboard models as well as inboard. I think they advertise that they will work with the purchaser on custom stuff too. The boat you saw may have been a 2300 LX outboard.

Thanks Jimway. However it did not have the square back like the 2300. The reason it caught my eye is it looked like the Checkmate/Baja CC. Although I don't recall it having the CC. It had a huge bow cover... maybe it obscured the console. No T-top of course. And they definitely were not sitting way up in bolsters. Like I said I thought it was a Baja but I was busy trying to read the model name on the side. Maybe it said Islander... not Commander. But you would think I would know the difference!

Imagine this boat but with seats lower like in a 'real' Mate. Looked very cool.
Checkmate-250-SFX.jpg

The Mate is built from the 250 Islander mold.

Rg_640.jpg

I had no idea the Baja CC was called the Islander. I thought it was called the Sport Fish.

All the Islanders around me are open bow I/O's 232, 242, etc... I learned something today.:thumb:

Is that what you saw Mark?

HD

Not exactly. It looked similar to this without the center console. And I am pretty sure it did say Commander on the side, but I figured it was a model name not a brand name. It was very cool looking rig. I was hoping someone would know.

Funny thing. Seven years later I see this boat for sale. The owner says it is a 1999 25' Commander Escape Outboard with a 300 Merc. Never seen one even on their website. See pic in next post.

1999 25' Commander Escape Outboard with a 300 Merc. Never seen one even on their website. What do you think?

commander%20escape_zpsrgx6c2au.jpg[/URL]

Back