• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Winter storage

So I’m close to finalizing a purchase on a boat (approx $7k - so not a huge investment) and wanted some input on storage. I’m in the burbs with a 3-car but the 3rd is consumed with a jetski project. I assume I’ll tinker on the boat during the winter but wondered how much harm I would do by putting a nice tarp over the boat (plus winterizing) and parking it outside vs storing indoors. Indoor storage is hr away at in-laws farm, so less tinkering and access. Indoor heated is preferred but more $ and distance than I might want to invest

Put boat, especially if it is a Checkmate, in the garage. Move significant other vehicle to driveway. Your truck , if you must (smile).

If the boat is outside under a tarp it's likely you won't work on it. Do you get snow where you live? If it's under snow you won't work on it. Either in the garage if you plan to fix stuff or out at the In-laws if you can't /don't. In the Spring bring it home early to do the work and put it in the garage then.

I was really thinking about the first wifes car going out of the warm garage to the driveway, followed by the statement,"Look honey, I put your car right next to the door so that you don't have to worry about backing out of the garage anymores and can just conveniently drive away". If you are met with a smile and twinkling eyes, you're in, so to speak. If you are met by a head tilted to one side, folded arms, and narrowed eyes, you may have to regroup quickly. Your truck outside only as a last resort. Might be able to park the jet ski next to the tongue of the boat trailer? If you can still see the floor of the garage you may find plenty of room. If you can't see the floor of the garage, you may be in trouble already. A tiny path from the man door to the garage door doesn't count. Around here it is so wet and damp that everything left outside begins to draw moisture and also immediately becomes a target for marauding bugs, birds with accurate bombing techniques, and evil trees that throw limbs, leaves or needles down every time the wind blows. I wont even mention the possums and raccoons. If there is sufficient space above one of those vehicles inside the garage, what about one of those nifty vehicle lifts? In a similar vein, one of those enclosed cargo trailers with a ramp can hold a lot of 'stuff'. Get one big enough and you may roll the jet ski right on up in there. The bonus is that you can use the trailer for various other schemes and you are not throwing away rent money as the trailer will hold it's value as long as you don't let anyone knock holes in it or stuff like that. One of those toy haulers will look great in the driveway, also has a ramp in the back, will hold a lot of merchandise, and draw admiring glances and even stares from neighbors, friends, and acquaintances, and might even come in handy when one of your schemes goes a little too far every once in a while, bringing comfort and warmth to the phrase "Looks like someone is spending the night in the driveway".

A+ response - informative and entertaining! :)

Sadly my garage has lower ceilings or I agree, with those lifts I could have a 4/5/6-car in the space of my 3. I'll see what heated space around me costs worst case I'll squeeze the cheapo jetski out. It's on a cart so I can roll it in/out and really has nothing in it while I rebuild the motor, etc

A+ answers, it's what we do around here.
On a sleightly more diabolical note (especially if the neighbors abhor blue tarps), and on a temporary basis, one could stretch a blue tarp attached to the board under the gutter above the third car door and run it out and down to some concrete stakes to create both a nice dry space underneath and impassioned neighbors. For an added touch, one can form a winking happy face, with duct tape, on the exposed portion of the blue tarp....

What size boat and will it even fit in your garage, and more details on the Durango, what year, motor, mileage, color??????

Hey almost-neighbor :)

Pulse 210, so 21'...think it will be tight due to my workbench and other junk in the garage

Durango is 2014 Durango R/T hemi, grey, 52k, suitcase muffler removed (for sound) :)

Speaking of blue tarps and neighbors, I live in a sub with 60 ft lots, had the starflite up on concrete blocks on the driveway with the trailer stripped to bare metal, half in & half out of the garage. Come Saturday I go start painting the trailer and damn if it don’t start to drizzle. So I find a huge old blue tarp and tent from the garage out and down the driveway. Get it set up, looks like it’s going to work and get started spray painting the trailer. About 2 hrs into the job, my very next door neighbor held his open house, I’m sure I was sworn at several times that day. It only took them 4 yrs to unload the home.

No the owners were asking way to much for a spec built home with 0 updates. As an real estate appraiser and the wife selling mortgages at the time, we tried to advise them to lower the price 10/15 g’s sell it, retire and move. Well they retired and moved away. Leaving it empty for almost 4 yrs, during that time the market fell apart. They were asking 204 when the market supported 190 they got 135 after 4 yrs of 3500 a yr in property taxes.

Now to get back on subject, wish I could find the $500 bucks for the heated inside storage. Just can’t justify it when just a little elbow grease works. I park it and forget it for 6 or more months 😞 p.s. also have a good set of tire covers!

8470-F7-D9-E69-D-4770-AEE7-2345-C5-D2-AEF2.jpg

Merc245, what the heck is on the side of your neighbor’s chimney? Halloween decoration?

For winter storage, I have actually had really good luck storing my behemoth 380 Powerquest outside (much to the protest by my heart) since it won't fit in my barn. I have the cockpit cover snapped tightly and have made PVC poles that replace adjustable ones so they wont collapse under weight of snow. This creates the support over the cockpit for the full Carver Industries made cover. I then wrap the boat in an 20'x40' HD white tarp that usually lasts for two seasons (far cheaper than shrink wrap or indoor storage) and tightly secure with a couple dozen tarp grippers, grommets, and rope. The tarp covers the sides completely down to the trailer rails.This is my 3rd winter using this method and I have yet to incur any mold, mildew, or other moisture issues. The two covers I have are a breathable material and the cockpit cover has built in vents at pole locations. I still feel bad for the boat every time I look out the window but it has been preserved quite well by this method. Only thing I keep an eye on is we get a lot of wind at my house and occasionally a grommet or tarp gripper rips through. tighter I get it in first place less that happens though.

Downside, you aren't working on it in the winter as it is a total PITA to cover/uncover, at least with my OCD ways of doing it. Too darn cold outside anyways and not good to step on cold vinyl upholstery. I still want to add on (again) to my garage so it will fit.

At least the Starfire remains inside yet to be touched haha.

I’ll
Merc245, what the heck is on the side of your neighbor’s chimney? Halloween decoration?

Yes, Terry’s a nice guy and everything, Halloween is his Christmas. He’s a collector of all things gory. He sets up his garage and 2 additional portable car ports on the driveway with about 20-30 life size animatronics creatures, killers, clowns (full size Pennywise being the new one). And also fills the yard with older stuff with no rhyme or rhythm. It takes him about 10 days to set up. Our corner of the sub is always a party spot come Halloween. We had well over 300 kids tricker tweet this yr. When I was single I’d let him store his original unrestored 69 mustang in my garage for October, but now he has to put in the street for 3 wks.

Here’s my Halloween decoration, some old timers might know who this is or what show it from?

EE7-CE949-3993-408-C-A85-D-D8-E6851-E5-D5-D.jpg

Last edited:
A little elbow grease vs. $$$....that's what I was thinking. The one thing I saw online was they recommend putting the trailer on blocks to keep the tires from flat-spotting - you guys done that? inside or outside prob shouldn't matter for that one.

Plus the blocks give it a nice touch - if I could only part it on the lawn then I'd really hit dirtbag status with the neighbors :)

If you do elevate the frame of the trailer outdoors, to relieve the load on them, it might just be a good idea to remove the tires all together, to preclude any temptation from rascally neighbors or even the casual passerby. An old refrigerator and burnt up washing machine added to the mix will hasten neighborhood ire.

I’ve done it done both ways, but pretty much settled on running the tires up on a board and wrapping them up in a good tire cover. With the money I save with outside storage, I keep my tires fresh every few years as I do a lot of cross country towing. Also purchasing D rated tires over C rated tires, loads of 2200 vs 1500 lbs and speed ratings of 79mph vs 65mph. It’s a no brainer there, besides the years add up fast on trailer tires!

Back