• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Does a BAJA mold make a good CHECKMATE

Using Former Baja Moulds To Build Checkmates Is...

• Is a good idea!

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Is a bad idea!

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • I don't care!

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
one things for sure, BajaDoug runs one hell of a tight ship over there in Ohio, Havent had much chance to deal with the factory, but when I ordered the rubrail, it was nothing but a positive experience. Mike was on the phone and Linda, I think, took my order and handled everything for me, even called me right back when she got ahold of Mike. Super friendly and the shipping was fast too!

Thats the kind of thing that leaves a sweet taste in your mouth.... so when I get all growed up and have enough money to buy a new boat..... guess what itll be.:surf:

My favorite Baja's the 220 Sport, and the 20 Outlaw. Sorry guys, my relatives and neighbors help build these boats.

But if things go right, and it doesn't sell for his asking price on ebay. Then I just may be the proud owner of one kick ass Baja.

All I really know about it is it was Fred Millers from Baja, and I grew up next door to this boat, and lusted after it for years. And she's still all original.

BAJADOUG, could you give me a little more background on this boat please.

5210_1024.ts1130285766820.jpg

5209_1024.ts1130285765429.jpg

Coop I think that might be the boat he had in 1975. That was 33 years ago. If thats it I didn't know it was still around. Alan

I will start this post off with I do like the older Baja's I would not own one but I do like the way they look and seem to be built better.

This is the way I feel and I do not care who's corn flakes I piss in. You know where I am located.

I will say it again I will go boatless if a Baja is the only thing I could go to the lake in.

Baja flooded the market with their cheap look-o-like Cigarette boat. But that is what the low budget boater wanted the look without spending the coin. Baja sold a crap load of boats that realed in the bling bling boater that had no coin to back it up. Then after all said and done when he realized he could not afford it he lost his $ss on resale because the market was flooded with the bling bling Baja boat.

I am not knocking you Doug Smith or anybody else its all about money in the long run anyway. I might be a redneck but I am not stupid I know a horses $ss when I smell one. Hay man its life,, like i always say their is a $ss for every seat you just need to find the right sucker to sit in it.

I just know Baja played the market hard with their boats and hit the demands of the buget HP boater. I just don't want to see Checkmate take the same path. But that is not up to me its all in your hands now Doug.

And one more thing Doug I would like to know whats the deal with your new dealer up here in NC. I think he talks the talk but can't walk the walk. Don't get pissed at me I do more advertising on lake Norman than he does with Checkmate plastered on the side of my Convincor.

Cheer's Big Guy
from someone thats not scared to tell the truth and thats not ashamed of his habits. Because when we are all six feet under we all are equal.

one things for sure, BajaDoug runs one hell of a tight ship over there in Ohio, Havent had much chance to deal with the factory, but when I ordered the rubrail, it was nothing but a positive experience. Mike was on the phone and Linda, I think, took my order and handled everything for me, even called me right back when she got ahold of Mike. Super friendly and the shipping was fast too!

Thats the kind of thing that leaves a sweet taste in your mouth.... so when I get all growed up and have enough money to buy a new boat..... guess what itll be.:surf:

I got my parts fast and prompt before Doug was their also. I never had any bad dealings with the factory.

Well Big Red, I think I know what you're saying.......but if I, personally had the money and was in the market for a 36'+ boat, I sure would buy a Checkmate, considering it's still made with the traditional Checkmate quality construction (and doesn't have a baja bottom on it).

I would not buy one I would want to buy a boat that has been hammered on time and time again in the ocean. That way I know it will hold up. If Checkmate decides to build a big poker run style it will have to be tried for years in the rough seas to get profected. I would not want to be the test clown for a 36 + footer. Plus for the resale reasons not many people want a odd ball boat. Think a bit harder how many 30 foot Convincors are out their in demand not many. Thats because you open the doors to a larger boat market in that price range. Just look a the price they slapped on their latest project with the twin outboards.

Best way to test the durability is to throw a few in the Race circuit. A couple of wins and hell of a lot of beating on the seas will proves itself fast.

Last edited:
How about just using your real name? I think that would be best as that allows infrequent visitors to the site to identify you and know that you're the real deal.

-Chris

That is one of the best suggestion I've heard so far. Amazing on how much credability is gained by placing your name behind it. Not to mention I realy never know who Bajadoug was until reading this post.

Coop, the posted pic's of the Baja to me looks like the haul is based on an old Checkmate mold with a different deck configuation, especially the noted step down in the burgundy color band at the ass end.

I 'm not sure but I think that was a 15' boat. And I do believe it might have been one of the molds that was bought from CHK. We have a pond at my Dads house and we used to play around in one of their messed up hulls.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about a jump to a 30 footer in the next year or so. I like my Convincor now so I figured Checkmate was a given. Not too sure though now.
At that price range and size there are many players. I'm going to watch what unfolds for a while.
I avoided Baja last time. They are all over the lake! Good marketing!

well guys it would be hard to drop the handle doug did good things with baja in the day.

and coop i am sorry about all your neighbors, they lost there jobs they got moved else were guys

doug is in the trenchs with the some of you guys but he runs a good ship. baja became a major player because of him. if molds were bought and hand laid not mass produced it could be good.

how many molds have really been passed around if only you really knew.

as for the baja doug, tell me if you made the company would you not be proud to be still holding that handle you watched your company come up and grow into one of the most major players in the performance business and please think about it i know i would be proud baja had some great years although i dont like there hulls right know i think i would try to supe up a sea ray first, lol. there would not be chevy without ford.

guys some of the molds that skater built went to other boat companys
enjoy the show:popcorn:

Ok, here's the poop on the Baja mold thing. There will be no Baja molds making there way into the Checkmate plant. Sea Ray exec's made damn sure that any molds that Reg didn't take got crushed. Especialy the Skater/Baja mold that a new company Faction Powerboats wanted to use. (pictures of the crushed Skater mold are on OSO)

Ok, here's the poop on the Baja mold thing. There will be no Baja molds making there way into the Checkmate plant. Sea Ray exec's made damn sure that any molds that Reg didn't take got crushed. Especialy the Skater/Baja mold that a new company Faction Powerboats wanted to use. (pictures of the crushed Skater mold are on OSO)

I knew I should have pulled that thing over to your house! Would have been a cool swimming pool!

I think we are going to have to burn this thread. We need to start it over. Does Fountain make a good Baja mold. I don't know if its true but a guy told me Monday that Reggie does not own Fountain, Mercury marine does. Any truth to this ???

I think we are going to have to burn this thread. We need to start it over. Does Fountain make a good Baja mold. I don't know if its true but a guy told me Monday that Reggie does not own Fountain, Mercury marine does. Any truth to this ???
gee i wonder if they want to forget about some boats breaking, hum that would be a wonderfull way

there is word that reggie isnt going to own it much longer

i thought the same thing he paid brunswick up but i heard they are taking him back over

no matter what it is a shame to see it happen couldnt find a better boat to pass in a checkmate

I've heard the same thing about Mercury marine. And they somehow give Fountain rights to build??

mmmm.....so much controversy.....and confusion.....From a historical point of view, I think it would be a shame for Checkmate to "splash" someone else's boat. I'm glad to hear that Doug Smith has put those rumors to rest. If there are any new Checkmates designed, they should be designed by the Checkmate Team and toolers that have been with Checkmate for years. Maybe they can get a bit more up to date with modern bottom designs but the tooling should be inhouse, where it belongs. The new 24' Pulsares and BRX are gorgeous boats and shows that Checkmate can bring a new product out that is great! As far as "BajaDoug" goes.....maybe DougMate....CheckDoug...SmithMate....CheckSmith....CheckSmithMate.....:D

Brunswick corp does NOT own Fountain it is wholly owned by Fountainn Powerboats Inc. If Brunswick owned they would have just transferred Baha to NC as they owned Baha.

Back