• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Does a BAJA mold make a good CHECKMATE

Using Former Baja Moulds To Build Checkmates Is...

• Is a good idea!

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Is a bad idea!

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • I don't care!

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
Brunswick corp does NOT own Fountain it is wholly owned by Fountainn Powerboats Inc. If Brunswick owned they would have just transferred Baha to NC as they owned Baha.

Brunswick may not own " Baja by Fountain " but they loaned Reggie 100% of the $4 mil purchase price.

With in the agreement they made him sign off that he would use a lot more Merc engines / parts in the racing boats and require him to promote right on the race hulls powered by Merc.

Anybody see that the new Baja's won't have gel graphics - tape or paint, kinda like.... Bayliner :)

Cant belive this was 3 years ago, :sssh: Just wondering if those Baja molds helped Checkmate. Seems like most boats sold in the last couple of years were Checkmates not Beckmates. The beckmates I have seen sell were really priced dropped just to get rid of them.

Cant belive this was 3 years ago, :sssh: Just wondering if those Baja molds helped Checkmate. Seems like most boats sold in the last couple of years were Checkmates not Beckmates. The beckmates I have seen sell were really priced dropped just to get rid of them.
You're right, it has been quite awhile since this decision was made.

Now that we've had a number of years to digest this decision and also see these models in the flesh and in the marketplace, I was wondering what people's opionion is now.

Has your opinion changed? Or do you still feel the same way?

I've put up a secret poll, it will be interesting to see how people feel now almost three years later. :)

-Chris

The sooner they drop em, the better

Maybe they look better in person, I don't know, I've only seen pictures. But the ZT244 and the 20BRX are not great looking boats. The graphics on the ZT at Triton Marina look good, but it's a "silk purse on a pig" to me. I think those hulls will sell poorly for as long as they try to make them. The bad deck lines/hull profiles of the other Beckmates are a little less noticeable. The larger/longer hulls seem to hide it better, but they are still not great looking. If I had the money there is zero chance I would by a ZT350.

I may have detected some Checkmate rules, proceedure, and regulation violations hereabouts. I think when Baja is used in the same sentence with Checkmate, it is to be followed by terms like got beaten by, was outrun by, got smoked by, was towed in by, didn't look as good as , and stuff like that. I hope I'm correct on this, cause I'm just sayin.

I may have detected some Checkmate rules, proceedure, and regulation violations hereabouts. I think when Baja is used in the same sentence with Checkmate, it is to be followed by terms like got beaten by, was outrun by, got smoked by, was towed in by, didn't look as good as , and stuff like that. I hope I'm correct on this, cause I'm just sayin.

In light of recent topics around here lately I figured I'd bring this back to the top. Personally I like jimways take on it. Lol :popcorn:

Call it what you want, but I love my 244ZT. I think the zt graphics are bad a$$ and the boat runs and handles absolutely amazing. Here it is, has no problem getting up out of the water.
10558AE7-110B-4972-AE62-CA3BC93476A0-1700-000000D93E9ECB85_zps7d88e932.jpg
[/IMG]

No offense to anybody or their boat, but I think the Beckmates are hideous. They have the same shape as Stewie Griffiths head. The great thing about the older checkmates, even into the early 2000's was, even from a distance, you knew what they were as soon as you saw them. They had great classic lines. Now, if they didn't have checkmate on them, you would never know what they were. And don't get me started on that atrocity that is the new 260....... If I was to compare it to a car I saw on the road, it would be a Chevy Cavalier with a gawdy body kit and a fart can. The sad thing is, last year I was in the market for a boat, and was considering a brand new checkmate. It was a leftover 2011. I just couldn't bring myself to buy one of Doug's boats. So that's why I bought my 98. From when the name Checkmate on the side of the boat actually meant something.

stewiegriffin.gif

Last edited:
its quite possible if Doug did not buy Checkmate the doors would be closed at least due to lack of sales . Doug brought a fresh set of ideas and much needed updates to Checkmate . just the fact that Checkmate is about the only boat company building boats in this size and price range is proof somebody is buying the boats. I saw nothing wrong with trying a few Baja hulls as long as the Checkmate hulls were still made available if someone wanted to order one. At this point in the boating industry all hulls are a splash of another hull. it is the way the boat is built that counts and adds lasting value i have not seen any corners cut on Doug's boats im sure there are a few problems here and there but overall the brand is holding up well under Doug's ownership.

Call it what you want, but I love my 244ZT. I think the zt graphics are bad a$$ and the boat runs and handles absolutely amazing. Here it is, has no problem getting up out of the water

This is a tough call for my personal taste....

I am a lover of "old school" performance styling in all of my toys {well,except maybe with snowmobiles}.

Just like with land hot rods, there's nothing like a '71 Cuda or a '66 GT Mustang, however I also love the 2013 Shelby Cobra and the 2013 Challenger.

With boats {water hot rods for me} there's nothing like an 80's Cig or even some of the early Glastrons and alike and yes the Mates from the 70's and 80's {wow really love the sparkling flake from the 70's Mates}...

But hey, just like car manufacturers, the boat manufacturers have to keep up with what the market demands AND keep up with performance technology....

I do love and cherish my '88 Checkmate, but I treat it accordingly, it's an old shcool style hot rod that looks kool and turns heads, but I would not even think of trying to compare it's performace abilities against a new 2013 Checkmate of similar size.

So I guess my take on the whole BajaMate vs CheckMate is that Doug and the rest of the company is doing what they need to do to keep selling boats and it appears they're doing a great job thus far, --- hey I saw a newer ZT much like Brians up here where I boat last summer and it was a beautiful bad azz looking and sounding boat.
As long as Doug and the rest of them stay true to basic classic Checkmate styling with some of their models {like Ford does with Mustang and Chevy does with Camaro etc...} then modern engineering along with some traditional styling should keep Checkmate building very kool boats for some time to come.

I hope none of our Checkmate forum colleagues get offended by this....

Make note that I would take a Checkmate Punisher 43 over Baja's big boy the 40 ftr any day.....

However, you gotta admit, this is a nice wave crusher ---- and I think if Checkmate had made a promo video as good as this for the Punisher it would've positioned Checkmate a little better in the MINDS of the performance boat enthusiasts. {mostly the Poker run guys}
Remember it's the poker run guys {and girls} that all the performance boat mags buzz around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGaqhVfDArs

I don't have any strong feeling either way. I really like the classic lines that Checkmates have that set them appart from the crowd. On the flip side I have always liked to looks of Baja boats too. I guess if there are only a few options for those that don't like the looks of the new boats either live with what Doug has to offer and don't buy it or open up your wallet buy him out and change it.

My last boat was a 1994 219 persuader 454. It was a great boat, very quick and seen 75mph out of it on top end. But the handling and comfort of my 244 isn't even comparable. I can hit wakes at top end without a worry, I just throttle and trim up a touch. It skips right over them. That is just my .02. I also understand they are two completely different hulls.

Your Zt is no less a Checkmate than my Zt. if the boat (whatever the hull) came from the Checkmate factory and was built by the same people that glue and screw them all together then its a Checkmate . At some point every model they ever built was a new design. the guys that do the most bashing are not the people that will ever buy a new boat or probably anything new even though they will point out they almost bought or could have bought something. Brian enjoy your new boat you paid good money for it and i hope it serves you well that is really all that matters. for anyone to bash another persons boat IMO is a jackass

What we need is a side by side comparison of a new Checkmate vs. it earlier Baja incarnation.

Like a ZT244 vs H2X showdown.

I don't see these boats as better or worse than the original Checkmates, but I like to think they are better than what was originally made from those molds.

Your Zt is no less a Checkmate than my Zt. if the boat (whatever the hull) came from the Checkmate factory and was built by the same people that glue and screw them all together then its a Checkmate . At some point every model they ever built was a new design. the guys that do the most bashing are the people that will ever buy a new boat or probably anything new even though they will point out they almost bought or could have bought something. Brian enjoy your new boat you paid good money for it and i hope it serves you well that is really all that matters. for anyone to bash another persons boat IMO is a jackass

i tried to edit this after i posted it but my editing feature wont pop up . i dont mean to sound harsh its ok to disagree. i also meant to say "those who do the bashing will not be buying new any time soon." but were all Checkmate fans at the end of the day and Checkmates have always come in all sizes shapes and colors and even I/O and O/B options.

Hey, I don't mind being a Jack Ass, and I don't have to buy Doug out of his company to have an opinion. Doug does not have to listen to me either, I get that.

Anyone who wants to buy the new Checkmate look, more power to them. I just think the new look is the old Baja look, and not to my taste.

I'm sure a new Baja manufactured to Checkmate standards is a better boat then an old Baja, and that's what you get when you buy certain Checkmate hulls now, we all know that.

I'll buy the old style hulls as long as they are available or find something I like better.

Back