• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

WTB 24 BRX

Anyone know of any for sale? I am in NJ but will travel.
There is a guy on the Checkmate FB page Ryan Cortezzo I think, selling a 2009 24 BRX for a hefty sum. It has a 300 XS and he wants $65k. Which is about $20k over high limit according to NADA. It looks nice, but not for that price. Its pretty much the cost of new back in 2009.

There is a guy on the Checkmate FB page Ryan Cortezzo I think, selling a 2009 24 BRX for a hefty sum. It has a 300 XS and he wants $65k. Which is about $20k over high limit according to NADA. It looks nice, but not for that price. Its pretty much the cost of new back in 2009.
I think TraceF3 sold his 2400 crawl through earlier this year for around $65K. He had a new (about 100 hours) 300R, and fixed everything on the boat that was not up to snuff. I think it only took a few weeks to sell it. When Caldwell Marine was building them, the list price for a 2400 with a 300R and options was around $126K new. A 23 ft Velocity / 300R new was a bit over $130K. Yeah I think that's crazy (I own a 2020 long deck 2400 / 300R) but there are very few for sale and if you find a 2010 say in mint condition, with an almost new engine, at $65K it is about half the price of what a new one was a year ago. So I can see why they are getting those prices, but I think that is short lived? Not sure if it is true, but I heard rumors that a new 24 ft Persuader will list around $90K. As we enter a recession in 2023, I think the price of all boats will drop like they did around 2008 - 2012.

I think TraceF3 sold his 2400 crawl through earlier this year for around $65K. He had a new (about 100 hours) 300R, and fixed everything on the boat that was not up to snuff. I think it only took a few weeks to sell it. When Caldwell Marine was building them, the list price for a 2400 with a 300R and options was around $126K new. A 23 ft Velocity / 300R new was a bit over $130K. Yeah I think that's crazy (I own a 2020 long deck 2400 / 300R) but there are very few for sale and if you find a 2010 say in mint condition, with an almost new engine, at $65K it is about half the price of what a new one was a year ago. So I can see why they are getting those prices, but I think that is short lived? Not sure if it is true, but I heard rumors that a new 24 ft Persuader will list around $90K. As we enter a recession in 2023, I think the price of all boats will drop like they did around 2008 - 2012.
Well if that guy on FB had a 300R then the price would be right. He has a 300 XS with 130hrs, which brings the value down quite a bit. I paid $70k for my build in 2014 with a 300 Verado. So that guy is in dream bucks territory at $65k for an 09’ 2 stroke. He is asking but not sure if he will be getting anything at that price.

A 2014 long deck. That was just before the liner was added with the seats still further back. Those were the fastest ones. My long deck liner boat is several hundred pounds heavier and Randy said they were all slower by 3 - 4 mph than the non liner boats. I could never really get mine to run as fast as I thought it should. The best it has done with a light load and good air was 76 mph with a 24P ProMax. Tried a labbed 26P ProMax and it ran the same speed but at 150 rpm less.

A 2014 long deck. That was just before the liner was added with the seats still further back. Those were the fastest ones. My long deck liner boat is several hundred pounds heavier and Randy said they were all slower by 3 - 4 mph than the non liner boats. I could never really get mine to run as fast as I thought it should. The best it has done with a light load and good air was 76 mph with a 24P ProMax. Tried a labbed 26P ProMax and it ran the same speed but at 150 rpm less.
You are correct. I believe the liner came in 2016, basically they used the deck of the BRX and closed in the bow. The cutty is also a bit shorter due to the anchor locker. Is the speed you quoted with a full load & full tank?

The speed was under good conditions. My wife and me, cooler, life jackets, anchor, and stow away table, probably about 20-25 gallons of fuel (around 1/3rd tank) and the temperature was only 58*F. Turned 6348 rpm at 76 mph. Perhaps alone in the boat I could have gone 77 mph, but it would have been on the limiter close to 6450 rpm. I have seen posts from members that claim they got 80 mph with a 300XS two stroke! I have 10" of setback, but even if I had 18" like Randy uses, I doubt it would run 80 mph. Now TraceF3 with his non liner long deck cut out bow, and 300R had Randy drive his boat with 3 different props and it also has 10" of setback if I recall correctly. Randy also ran 76.1 mph with the 24.5P Promax and I think almost the same speed with a Fury 24P prop. So both of our boats run slow for a 300R, if a 300XS runs 80 mph.

The speed was under good conditions. My wife and me, cooler, life jackets, anchor, and stow away table, probably about 20-25 gallons of fuel (around 1/3rd tank) and the temperature was only 58*F. Turned 6348 rpm at 76 mph. Perhaps alone in the boat I could have gone 77 mph, but it would have been on the limiter close to 6450 rpm. I have seen posts from members that claim they got 80 mph with a 300XS two stroke! I have 10" of setback, but even if I had 18" like Randy uses, I doubt it would run 80 mph. Now TraceF3 with his non liner long deck cut out bow, and 300R had Randy drive his boat with 3 different props and it also has 10" of setback if I recall correctly. Randy also ran 76.1 mph with the 24.5P Promax and I think almost the same speed with a Fury 24P prop. So both of our boats run slow for a 300R, if a 300XS runs 80 mph.
I would take that claim of 80 with a 300 XS with a grain of salt. I saw 81 with a 24 tempest and I have a 400 with the sportmaster. Im seeing 77 with a full tank and full load with 2 people running a 24 Bravo FS. I only have 6” of setback and she handles like a race car.

You have a 6" plate, plus the engine has at least 4" built in so you also have 10" of setback. You are getting really good speeds with a full tank and full load. I have a 24 bravo fs but I can only get about 73 mph but it is on the limiter at 6450 rpm so perhaps a 25 Bravo FS might gain another 1 - 2 mph. I test drove a 400R BRX in Bucyrus and it had a 24P Bravo FS. It accelerated much harder than mine, and I think we hit 75- 76 mph with 3 of us in the boat but I don't remember how much fuel was on board. It was also a sportsmaster but that BRX liner boat was at least 200 lbs+ heavier than yours. I think if you played with props you might be able to eke out 83 - 84 mph. Did you run the Tempest light? Was the Tempest worse for chine walking than your Bravo FS? Did the Tempest turn almost the same rpm as your 24 FS? I am only asking, in case I can get my hands on one to try. I think a 25P Tempest would be the right one for me to try.

You have a 6" plate, plus the engine has at least 4" built in so you also have 10" of setback. You are getting really good speeds with a full tank and full load. I have a 24 bravo fs but I can only get about 73 mph but it is on the limiter at 6450 rpm so perhaps a 25 Bravo FS might gain another 1 - 2 mph. I test drove a 400R BRX in Bucyrus and it had a 24P Bravo FS. It accelerated much harder than mine, and I think we hit 75- 76 mph with 3 of us in the boat but I don't remember how much fuel was on board. It was also a sportsmaster but that BRX liner boat was at least 200 lbs+ heavier than yours. I think if you played with props you might be able to eke out 83 - 84 mph. Did you run the Tempest light? Was the Tempest worse for chine walking than your Bravo FS? Did the Tempest turn almost the same rpm as your 24 FS? I am only asking, in case I can get my hands on one to try. I think a 25P Tempest would be the right one for me to try.
You can get the Bravo FS in 1/2 pitch sizes. So in your case I would consider a 24.5 which should shave 100-150 rpm out of your WOT.
The tempest is a light load prop, and I wouldn't want to be in the rough with it, because hole shot is not the greatest. I really have to ease into it or it just wants to break loose. I had no issues with chine walk, and I really never do with any prop I run. So yes just me a full tank of gas and a cooler of frosty ones will yield you a fun day!
The Tempest runs true to pitch, so a 24 gets me to 7k rpm and change. But keep in mind its only a paltry 14.625 in diameter as well.
The Bravo 24 FS and all Bravos for that matter run at a minus .700 which puts you at 23.3 @ 15.25 diameter. So I run between 6900-6950 rpm.

Thanks, jig. I am aware of all that and the ProMax is only 14.5" diameter. That's also why the ProMax does not do well with a heavy load.
Since my 24FS is at 6450 - 6460 rpm I am on the soft limiter, so if it was not limiting, I don't know how much more rpm I could have turned the 24FS to? I agree that 24.5 should give me about 6320 rpm, plus whatever additional I could have turned the 24FS to if it was not limited. A 25FS will drop it to about 6200 rpm (plus some more depending on how much the 24FS was limited). I would lean to the 25P but either should perform a bit better. Both the 24.5P and 25P are really 24 castings with additional cup which should help minimize the slippage. How high do you typically run that Sportsmaster at with the FS prop on it? I think the additional 100HP you have, plus perhaps a higher prop height is what breaks the Tempest loose? Does your boat porpoise a bit at 30 mph with that additional 150 lbs of engine weight on the back?
TraceF3 came on the plane fine with a Fury4 on his 300R and my ProMax will only slip slightly if I use close to full throttle but it comes on the plane fine with 4 people using half throttle with almost no slippage.
I told you the BRX with the 400R I test drove in Bucyrus had a 24FS but that was incorrect, it had a 23P FS prop so that along with the 100 additional HP helped it accelerate so much harder than my 300R does. Yours sounds like an awesome rig.

Thanks, jig. I am aware of all that and the ProMax is only 14.5" diameter. That's also why the ProMax does not do well with a heavy load.
Since my 24FS is at 6450 - 6460 rpm I am on the soft limiter, so if it was not limiting, I don't know how much more rpm I could have turned the 24FS to? I agree that 24.5 should give me about 6320 rpm, plus whatever additional I could have turned the 24FS to if it was not limited. A 25FS will drop it to about 6200 rpm (plus some more depending on how much the 24FS was limited). I would lean to the 25P but either should perform a bit better. Both the 24.5P and 25P are really 24 castings with additional cup which should help minimize the slippage. How high do you typically run that Sportsmaster at with the FS prop on it? I think the additional 100HP you have, plus perhaps a higher prop height is what breaks the Tempest loose? Does your boat porpoise a bit at 30 mph with that additional 150 lbs of engine weight on the back?
TraceF3 came on the plane fine with a Fury4 on his 300R and my ProMax will only slip slightly if I use close to full throttle but it comes on the plane fine with 4 people using half throttle with almost no slippage.
I told you the BRX with the 400R I test drove in Bucyrus had a 24FS but that was incorrect, it had a 23P FS prop so that along with the 100 additional HP helped it accelerate so much harder than my 300R does. Yours sounds like an awesome rig.
The 3 blade Tempest is 14.625 diameter but generally when put behind a 1 ton boat it has a bit of a struggle getting on plane but with a little finesse it gets rolling pretty well, but would not want it for the rough. It rides like crap because when you're in and out of the throttle it struggles with the torque and keeping that forward momentum applied. I have no issue with porpoise until I get to 57, then I get a bit of a bounce but it goes away at around 61-62. And since I took around 50 lbs out of the stern by switching to a LifePo house battery, that little bounce seems to have vanished. So that affected the CG in a positive way at least, and it also helped to justify the cost of the battery even more.
Keep in mind props like the Trophy, ProMax, Fury, Tempest, Rev4, are really for 1000 Lb ish 20-21’ bass boats. Thats why they have much smaller diameters because you're not lifting much out if the water when compared to our 1+ ton boats.

The 3 blade Tempest is 14.625 diameter but generally when put behind a 1 ton boat it has a bit of a struggle getting on plane but with a little finesse it gets rolling pretty well, but would not want it for the rough. It rides like crap because when you're in and out of the throttle it struggles with the torque and keeping that forward momentum applied. I have no issue with porpoise until I get to 57, then I get a bit of a bounce but it goes away at around 61-62. And since I took around 50 lbs out of the stern by switching to a LifePo house battery, that little bounce seems to have vanished. So that affected the CG in a positive way at least, and it also helped to justify the cost of the battery even more.
Keep in mind props like the Trophy, ProMax, Fury, Tempest, Rev4, are really for 1000 Lb ish 20-21’ bass boats. Thats why they have much smaller diameters because you're not lifting much out if the water when compared to our 1+ ton boats.
Yeah, most of those props are marginal in blade area for our boats. The ProMax does lift both the stern and bow on mine better than the Bravo FS, but when I load the boat up, (it still lifts good) the slippage increases due to insufficient blade area for the weight as you pointed out. On my boat I always run full negative trim at least up to 35 - 40 mph. If I don't it will often start to have a mild porpoise. It is only after about 50 mph that it will start pushing the bow down and I have to trim up. Once I am flying the boat over 70 mph, I am often running close to full trim without an excessive rooster tail. I think the Sportsmaster jacked up tends to run flatter and handle much better.

Yeah, most of those props are marginal in blade area for our boats. The ProMax does lift both the stern and bow on mine better than the Bravo FS, but when I load the boat up, (it still lifts good) the slippage increases due to insufficient blade area for the weight as you pointed out. On my boat I always run full negative trim at least up to 35 - 40 mph. If I don't it will often start to have a mild porpoise. It is only after about 50 mph that it will start pushing the bow down and I have to trim up. Once I am flying the boat over 70 mph, I am often running close to full trim without an excessive rooster tail. I think the Sportsmaster jacked up tends to run flatter and handle much better.
Maximum X dimension is dictated by setback anyway. Im running about 1" below and that is the sweet spot for this hull. I have tried every combination in 1/2" increments and that sweet spot is it for all conditions. The sportmaster generates more stern lift due to the larger diameter at 5.4" so going crazy with to high of an X dim proves to be problematic. But compared to the gearcase on my 300 Verado, the SM made such a positive change to how this boat handles and rides, I would never go back.
Now Im just waiting for the 500R V10, hope its coming to Miami this year! That will be the next evolution for me.😎

Maximum X dimension is dictated by setback anyway. Im running about 1" below and that is the sweet spot for this hull. I have tried every combination in 1/2" increments and that sweet spot is it for all conditions. The sportmaster generates more stern lift due to the larger diameter at 5.4" so going crazy with to high of an X dim proves to be problematic. But compared to the gearcase on my 300 Verado, the SM made such a positive change to how this boat handles and rides, I would never go back.
Now Im just waiting for the 500R V10, hope its coming to Miami this year! That will be the next evolution for me.😎
Wow, 1" below, that has to be due to the Sportsmaster!! I can see where that would really help the handling. The higher I run my TM2, the less the chine walk, but at one point the prop slip increases (even though the chine walk is still decreasing). I could run the ProMax at least 3/4" higher than the Bravo FS but any higher than 3.25" below and the slippage went up with the ProMax. The slippage with the FS went up for me any higher than 4.0" below. Wow, you might really go with the V10!!! I guess it is not much more weight than the 400R and heavier batteries you had back there. That should be an awesome ride, low to mid 80's loaded, maybe high 80's light. I look forward to your results!

Wow, 1" below, that has to be due to the Sportsmaster!! I can see where that would really help the handling. The higher I run my TM2, the less the chine walk, but at one point the prop slip increases (even though the chine walk is still decreasing). I could run the ProMax at least 3/4" higher than the Bravo FS but any higher than 3.25" below and the slippage went up with the ProMax. The slippage with the FS went up for me any higher than 4.0" below. Wow, you might really go with the V10!!! I guess it is not much more weight than the 400R and heavier batteries you had back there. That should be an awesome ride, low to mid 80's loaded, maybe high 80's light. I look forward to your results!
The weight is about the same on the V10 compared to the 400. But I do have principals, that being I only increase in 100 hp increments. Thats being a bit persnickety I know, but the fun of 500hp is what my dreams are made of. 😉

The red/black one is nice 75k price is high for that boat. If it had a 300r I would be interested.

Back